Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Police sell "buyback" guns to dealers (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/police-sell-buyback-guns-dealers-91572/)

JWagner 05-31-2013 09:41 PM

Police sell "buyback" guns to dealers

In what seems like a rational decision, police will sell guns from a buyback program to gun dealers. Money talks, it seems. (This is already law in AZ)

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2013/05/31/Police-selling-guns-from-buyback-program/UPI-64641370015272/

stoppingpower 05-31-2013 09:42 PM

Hmmm don't they need ffl

orangello 05-31-2013 10:36 PM

I am glad the firearms aren't being destroyed. I am confused about the cash flow situation though. Where did the buyback money come from, and where will the sales proceeds for the firearms bought back go? If the buyback funds were from the city/department and the sales proceeds will replenish the funds of the city/department, then I am A-OK with this redistribution of unwanted firearms. Nobody should be required to own/hold/keep firearms they don't want, IMO (except that Mr. Glock should be required to carry one of his 2x4's everywhere he goes, even the crapper). Alternatively, if the buyback funds were raised by the community particularly for that purpose, the sales proceeds should be returned to that community in some direct way (free snow cones, perpetually burning Bill of Rights statue in their park, whatever).

Now, on the off chance that the funds came from some Bloomerberger project or grant, well I can only hope the local constabulary will put those sales proceeds to good use.

purehavoc 05-31-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 1263668)
I am glad the firearms aren't being destroyed. I am confused about the cash flow situation though. Where did the buyback money come from, and where will the sales proceeds for the firearms bought back go? If the buyback funds were from the city/department and the sales proceeds will replenish the funds of the city/department, then I am A-OK with this redistribution of unwanted firearms. Nobody should be required to own/hold/keep firearms they don't want, IMO (except that Mr. Glock should be required to carry one of his 2x4's everywhere he goes, even the crapper). Alternatively, if the buyback funds were raised by the community particularly for that purpose, the sales proceeds should be returned to that community in some direct way (free snow cones, perpetually burning Bill of Rights statue in their park, whatever).

Now, on the off chance that the funds came from some Bloomerberger project or grant, well I can only hope the local constabulary will put those sales proceeds to good use.

Buddy its all a big circle jerk here in IL. THEY ARE BROKE and trying their best to scrape up more $$$$. Our IL. government is standing here with their hand out 24/7

Warrior1256 05-31-2013 11:31 PM

Let me make sure I understand this...They have "Gun Buy Backs" supposedly to get firearms out of circulation, then they sell these guns to firearms dealers who in turn sell these firearms back to the public....sounds logical to me.

purehavoc 06-01-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrior1256 (Post 1263718)
Let me make sure I understand this...They have "Gun Buy Backs" supposedly to get firearms out of circulation, then they sell these guns to firearms dealers who in turn sell these firearms back to the public....sounds logical to me.

Yup that's just part of the circle jerk I'm talking about

Tackleberry1 06-01-2013 03:44 AM

This is BS...

We already have massive corruption driven by LE Organizations ability to proffit from siezed property... Now they get to proffit from buy back property?

Allowing a government department to pad it's budget by selling property it seized or bought from the public incentivized police misconduct.

Dealers and private citizens have taken to stakng out buy back locations and offering real money to people who have no idea the value of what there about to hand in for a $50 gift card.

How long do we thinks Cops will allow this once they've created their own incentive to rip people off?

Tack

indy36 06-01-2013 04:34 AM

What if some people turned in unwanted guns and had no idea what they had? What if, out if ALL the guns that were turned in, there were like 4 that were rare, like really rare? What if the people inventorying the haul later go, "Holy crap! Look at this!"? What if it's just wrong to destroy something so rare or beautiful? And what if those 4 guns are sold to a dealer? So that they can live on and be appreciated by decent people? Is that wrong? And then what if an 'anti-gun' reporter caught wind and wrote a story that 'police departments were profiting from gun buy back programs' and 'putting guns back on the street'? Is that what's happening here?

WebleyFosbery38 06-01-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indy36 (Post 1264111)
What if some people turned in unwanted guns and had no idea what they had? What if, out if ALL the guns that were turned in, there were like 4 that were rare, like really rare? What if the people inventorying the haul later go, "Holy crap! Look at this!"? What if it's just wrong to destroy something so rare or beautiful? And what if those 4 guns are sold to a dealer? So that they can live on and be appreciated by decent people? Is that wrong? And then what if an 'anti-gun' reporter caught wind and wrote a story that 'police departments were profiting from gun buy back programs' and 'putting guns back on the street'? Is that what's happening here?

Shortly after my grandfather the Coronal died, my grandmother turned in his pristine ww2 service pistol, 1911 (Circa 1942) to the Alb NM Police department. That made me sad, she didnt think "anyone would want that old thing"; my guess is its in someones collection now, wish it was mine...

Tackleberry1 06-01-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 (Post 1264297)
Shortly after my grandfather the Coronal died, my grandmother turned in his pristine ww2 service pistol, 1911 (Circa 1942) to the Alb NM Police department. That made me sad, she didnt think "anyone would want that old thing"; my guess is its in someones collection now, wish it was mine...

Last year some woman turned in her fathers war trophy MP 44 "Strumgwever"! :eek:

Fortunately she'd left her name and an honest Cop recognized what it was. Last I heard it was being sold to a "collector" with the proceeded going to the woman who turned it in.

My problem with buy backs is exactly what happened to Web...

Upon my fathers death, his remaining 3 guns when into my safe over Mom's objections. No way I was going to allow my dads guns to land in a pawn shop or a LIBTARD Spokane buy back... Which would have happened.

Older women loose there husbands, have big hospital bills, and pawn or sell **** out of panic.

In these trying family times... It's upto sons to secure the firearms for the Familly and protect them from this fate.

My will is in a safe deposit box, contained a rider giving my eldest son 100% control on the distribution of my guns... and he's the only other person with the Combo to my safe.

I do love my wife... But when it comes to making sure the guns my children grew up enjoying remain in the Familly...I trust "only" my Sons.

Tack