Police return rare WWII weapon in gun buyback - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Police return rare WWII weapon in gun buyback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4785 Times on 2314 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
The woman didn't know what she had. I was afraid the officers would keep the gun since the woman turned it over. They did give the rifle back to her to allow her to sell it. If I were her, I would definitely keep that rifle in the family.
They did not specify amount but it's certain that she handed it over for a $50 to $75 gift card. Sorta prooves she has no knowledge of firearms and even less appreciation for her fathers service.

Hopefully a well heeled collector will see ^^THIS^^ article and give that fine piece of history a propper home... Like the National Firearms Meusum.

Tack

Old 12-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #12
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Thank God the atf didn't get it, those terrorists would shred it then piss on it

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY
People Like This 
Old 12-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #13
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

crabtree is an idiot. no gun belongs in a shredder!! not even a jennings or lorcin!! all those guns should be returned to their rightful owners!!
Some should, the ones protecting those who want to take ours! They should take away the guns of anyone who does not believe in gun ownership and it's funny how many of the politicians who would decapitate you for owning a gun own guns themselves

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 12-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #14

Liked 4785 Times on 2314 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
crabtree is an idiot. no gun belongs in a shredder!! not even a jennings or lorcin!! all those guns should be returned to their rightful owners!!
I might be able to support these buy backs if ALL guns turned in were investigated to see if they were stolen...and stolen guns returned to there owners.

I'm under the impression that it's a "no questions" asked thing and everything is either destroyed or winds up in a cops collection.

Does anyone know if if any effort is made to identify stolen property and return it to it's rightful owner?

Would in not be criminal to purchase products you suspect may be stolen, regardless of what you intend to do with them?

Tack

Old 12-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1343 Times on 794 Posts
Likes Given: 3393

I could not see the attached video. I am assuming based on what has been written here that the weapons is a Sturmgewehr (STG-44). Is there not a way to convert the weapon into Semi-Auto and allow the owner to keep it without violating the law?

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 12-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #16

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

StG44!!!..I hope it doesnt wind up (recycled)

Bill to allow registration of war-trophy weapons
Vets' email | 5/11/05

Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 9:50:00 AM by pabianice

Veterans of World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War could legally register firearms brought home as war trophies under a bill introduced May 4 by Rep. Jim Gibbons, R-Nev.

The bill, HR 2088, allows veterans and their heirs to register firearms that troops were allowed to bring home under U.S. military policy in effect at the time. It would not change existing policy for combat veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan who are barred from bringing back any captured weapons.

Called the Veterans’ Heritage Firearms Act, Gibbon’s bill applies to firearms brought back to the United States between June 26, 1934 and October 31, 1968. The veterans who brought back the firearms or their lawful heirs would have 90 days to register the guns without fear of prosecution.

Similar amnesty was approved by Congress in 1968 as new and tougher firearms rules took effect, but Gibbons said many veterans never knew they needed to register their weapons. Now, because they didn’t follow the 1968 procedures, those who brought a firearm home in full compliance with military rules and federal law face confiscation of the weapon and possible criminal charges if they are found to own an unregistered firearm, Gibbons said in a statement.

“Unfortunately, when our servicemen returned home from battle, many did not learn about the registration regulations until the short registration period had passed and it was too late,” Gibbons said.

Veterans “are currently in jeopardy of being unjustly convicted of serious felonies because they possess war relic firearms that they were authorized to bring home,” he said.

Gibbons’ bill contains a second provision under which any firearms confiscated from veterans would not be destroyed, but rather would be made available to museums to add to their permanent collections.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #17
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1576 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 8141

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post
Some should, the ones protecting those who want to take ours! They should take away the guns of anyone who does not believe in gun ownership and it's funny how many of the politicians who would decapitate you for owning a gun own guns themselves
Those guns do not belong in a shredder either. They should get cofiscated, and giver to new pro 2A owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I might be able to support these buy backs if ALL guns turned in were investigated to see if they were stolen...and stolen guns returned to there owners.

I'm under the impression that it's a "no questions" asked thing and everything is either destroyed or winds up in a cops collection.

Does anyone know if if any effort is made to identify stolen property and return it to it's rightful owner?

Would in not be criminal to purchase products you suspect may be stolen, regardless of what you intend to do with them?

Tack
Can't say yes or no in other areas, but my grandfather has 2 of his pistols turn up after they were stolen. The Buffalo PD ran checks on all pistols turned in (everyone who owns a handgun must have a pistol permit which is on file in Albany and at your county courthouse), and as a result, his carry piece and one of his target revolers were returned. I think that was probably due in part to his being a retired NY State Trooper, but who knows. Either way, he atleast got his Python and his .22 Colt that was built on a .38 frame. And he wonders why my safes are bolted into the floor joists and the wall.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 12-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 48

One and all we should stop for a moment and take note of the ethics of the department and the officers involved in doing what was right.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #19

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What scares me more is this gun buy back program

Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #20

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
A gun in the home is 22 times more likely to kill a family member or friend than to kill an intruder. With gun ownership comes the responsibility of storing guns locked, unloaded and inaccessible to kids.
http://www.connecticutchildrens.org/gunbuyback

Programs like this is the start of disarming the public. scary stuff!!