Police return rare WWII weapon in gun buyback
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Police return rare WWII weapon in gun buyback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2026 Times on 1184 Posts
Likes Given: 4320

Default Police return rare WWII weapon in gun buyback

A piece of history that made history.

The gun, developed in 1944, holds a 30-round magazine and can shoot 500 rounds per minute. Cavanna said every modern assault rifle produced today is based on this design.

http://www.necn.com/12/08/12/WW2-weapon-turned-in-during-gun-buy-back/landing.html?blockID=811359&feedID=11106

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #2

Liked 144 Times on 99 Posts

Why would you turn a Sturmgewer in?!?! Wow I hope they do something appropriate with that. I would NEVER give one of those up

Last edited by robocop10mm; 12-10-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: fixed it for you

Old 12-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #3

Liked 810 Times on 528 Posts
Likes Given: 931

Is it registered??? I thought by law anything that wasnt has to be destroyed per ATF?? I mean isnt that why there are so many destroyed and demilled guns? I see cut up thompson's and others all the time, Being "historic" doesnt save them... Why did this one get past that?

Old 12-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7820 Times on 4693 Posts
Likes Given: 9848

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGlock View Post
Why would you turn a stiengyver in?!?! Wow I hope they do something appropriate with that. I would NEVER give one of those up
The woman didn't know what she had. I was afraid the officers would keep the gun since the woman turned it over. They did give the rifle back to her to allow her to sell it. If I were her, I would definitely keep that rifle in the family.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 844

Thank God there was an officer there who knew what he was looking at, and great to see the police do the right thing with it.

Donate it if you don't care about the money, or call Rock Island Auction.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
shadecorp Likes This 
Old 12-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2258 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 3528

i hope the cops saw the registration papers for that gun, otherwise they are idiots. That is an NFA weapon. Unless the lady has federal registration papers she could be in trouble. The only legal disposition for an unregistered NFA weapon is destruction.

No doubt the gun came to the US in the possession of someone related to the lady. i hope the lady has registration papers for that gun: If not a very valuable piece of history will be destroyed by the BATFE.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nfa/

Quote:
If there are unregistered NFA firearms in the estate, these firearms are contraband and cannot be registered by the estate. The executor of the estate should contact the local ATF office to arrange for the abandonment of the unregistered firearms.
http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/1999/09/090599-openletter-nfa-estate-transfers.html

Last edited by alsaqr; 12-09-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6033 Times on 3163 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
"This is a gun that should actually be in a museum rather than in a shredder,” Crabtree said.
crabtree is an idiot. no gun belongs in a shredder!! not even a jennings or lorcin!! all those guns should be returned to their rightful owners!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 12-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #8

Liked 144 Times on 99 Posts

I didn't watch it all the way, that's cool they gave it back. That would be a family heirlume for sure. Wow what a find.

Last edited by GaryGlock; 12-09-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #9

Liked 1654 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

At work a few years ago, one of the carpenters on my job, approached me about buying a Thompson, that had been in his father in laws attic when he died. Gun, accessories and loaded magazines. The gun was an apparent WWII bringback. He wanted $500.00 for the thing. As much as it broke my heart, I wouldn't go within 100 feet of the gun. I contacted a friend of mine that is a major machine gun dealer, his advice to the guy was to strip the reciever for parts, and throw the receiver in the deepest hole in the ocean he could find, and to do it right now, not tomorrow.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

alsaqr Likes This 
Old 12-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6033 Times on 3163 Posts
Likes Given: 432

if you do find a historic unregistered full auto you can donate it to a museum without getting in trouble. the batf does have a proccess to do that legally.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

KG7IL Likes This