Police chiefs call for ban on assault weapons - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Police chiefs call for ban on assault weapons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 01:52 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Sorry for reviving old threads...just rummaging through, catching up, and throwing in my 2 cents' worth.

Quote:
In Miami, four people were killed with assault weapons in 2003. Last year, 15 murders were committed with assault weapons. So far this year, 12 people have been killed with high-powered guns.
Does the fearmongering sweaty diaper-soiler, who no doubt trembled as he spoke these words (sorry, I'm in Ann Coulter mode now), realize how ridiculous that sounds in the face of how many guns are in the nation as opposed to those that are used in crime? Or crime stats in general?

I'm not getting any hard numbers on 2003 crime stats right at the moment, but in 2006, you had 77 reported murders. 12 or 15 (I think Chief Dirty Depends was too stressed by the situation to think clearly) is a significant chunk of the violent crime incidents, but it is no doubt miniscule compared to the number of similar weapons owned in Miami that weren't used in crime.

I'm sure you see far more "assault weapons" used for sporting purposes in Markham Park in a month than used in crime in a year.

So, Alvarez needs to up his valium intake, it seems.