Police chiefs call for ban on assault weapons

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Police chiefs call for ban on assault weapons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2007, 07:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thumbs down Police chiefs call for ban on assault weapons

The International Association of Chiefs of Police urged Congress to pass `an effective assault weapons ban.'

The International Association of Chiefs of Police issued a report Wednesday calling for a ban on assault weapons, arguing it will make officers safer by reducing the ``firepower available to criminals.''

The report hits home this week in South Florida, where law enforcement officials are still reeling from the murder of one of their own. Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Alvarez, a former police officer and police director, gets angry when he talks about the fact that the gun used to kill Officer Jose Somohano was legal.

''There's absolutely no reason I can see having these weapons out on the street,'' he said.

His voice rising, he brings up Shawn LaBeet, the man who killed Somohano and shot three other officers: ``This guy just went to a gun store with a fake ID and bought one.''

Somohano was killed with a Mak-90, a modified assault rifle that was not covered by the assault weapons ban that expired three years ago. A bill in Congress now would ban it, but that legislation hasn't made it out of committee.

Police say LaBeet bought nine guns in the past year, including six assault rifles.

Local police say the number of murders committed with assault weapons has been steadily rising since the ban expired in 2004. They've become popular on the street, Miami Police Chief John Timoney said.

''It's become fashionable, if you will,'' he said. ``It's almost the gun of choice.''

In Miami, four people were killed with assault weapons in 2003. Last year, 15 murders were committed with assault weapons. So far this year, 12 people have been killed with high-powered guns.

Dr. David Shatz, a University of Miami trauma surgeon at Jackson Memorial Hospital, sees the trend in the emergency room.

''The appearance of violent crime has dropped in half in the last six or seven years,'' he said. ``But assault weapon injuries seem to be increasing.''

Without an assault weapon ban, local law enforcement officers say they're forced to ramp up their own arsenals.

Miami police recently decided to allow officers to carry assault rifles. Last year, the Broward Sheriff's Office allowed deputies to carry them. Fort Lauderdale police have been allowed to for six years.

Miami-Dade police have plans to do the same, Alvarez said. But he doesn't think that will solve the problem, because officers can't carry them on every call.

''They're not going to get out of their cars on a traffic stop with an assault rifle slung over their shoulder,'' he said. ``They're not going to approach a house with an assault rifle in their hands.''

Local law enforcement officials say they're looking to Congress for an answer.

''This is not a local issue. It has local implications, obviously. A police officer was just killed here,'' said Timoney, an ardent gun control advocate.

``The resolution of this is in the nation's capital. But there's no appetite to address that.''

U.S. Reps. Ron Klein, D-Boca Raton; Alcee Hastings, D-Miramar, and Kendrick Meek, D-Miami, all said Wednesday they support a new assault weapon ban.

''That officer was killed by an assault weapon that shouldn't have been in anybody's hands, at all,'' Hastings said angrily Wednesday.

The National Rifle Association was provided with a copy of the IACP report, but did not return phone calls for comment. Several Republican lawmakers also did not return phone calls.

http://www.miamiherald.com/top_stories/story/243811.html

Member GCO

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-22-2007, 11:17 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Another example of thugs that kill ,the high power rifles didn't kill,the thugs did,there may come a may day and the police may need as many law abiding citizens with high power rifle to defend our homes!

Old 09-23-2007, 10:37 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
In Miami, four people were killed with assault weapons in 2003. Last year, 15 murders were committed with assault weapons. So far this year, 12 people have been killed with high-powered guns.
15 people killed in a year with assault weapons and they are pitching a fit? I bet more people were beat to death by an unarmed assailant. And could someone tell me what in the hell they mean by "high-powered guns". I'm sure this 'tard would consider a 10/22 high-powered if it had a 30 round magazine. It's like someone from New York City describing how to make cornbread.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:48 PM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

It's sad but the general public will probably agree. I don't think people read History books anymore. I guess they feel all safe and secure that the Government will never do wrong.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2742 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Default Chiefs

The IACP is just another mouthpiece for the left. They are not the police. They claim to be Chiefs of Police. Chiefs are so far removed from the streets they no longer have any concept of common sense. IMO Chiefs, Sheriffs and other agency heads generally are politicians just trying to keep their fat jobs by appeasing what ever group put them there or can keep them there.

DO NOT confuse IACP with police officers in general. The IACP does not and will not let common sense interfere with their agenda.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:03 AM   #6

I am on with 10mm. The former chief of my last departmnet was the president of the IACP prior to the current one. He had lost the concept of being a "cop", and was acting more like a politician and paving his road to a 6 figure second career after retirement. Most cops I know don't think this way, and the IACP is NOT representative of even officer's best interests on the job, much less their opinions.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:40 PM   #7

It just proves...the difference between the Boy Scouts and Police Departments....

The Boy Scouts have RESPONSIBLE adult leadership !

IACP = International Association of Chief Politico's

sucking up to the Democrats Gun Grabbers just for face time on TV !

Old 10-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #8

You notice the only ones that are adamant about this "Assault rifle ban" are the Democrats?
I have to agree with all stated....a military axiom I heard once covers this [might have been a movie]

This is my rifle,my rifle is my life,without my rifle,I am useless,without me,my rifle is useless,this is my rifle...

In short,a gun cannot simply stand up,point at somone and fire itself unless somehow provoked or it's alien technology. PEOPLE use guns to kill people. it was the same before guns,when we used swords to kill one another with...can they still say that the sword killed the man? and not the person wielding it?
And as for the bogus garbage that the media likes to throw around. I'm sure those bleeding heart groups of 70 year old sweater kniting grandmothers everywhere are raising their arthretic arms everywhere in revolt against what the media feeds them as "High powered assault rifles" When in all actuality it's something akin to a derranger or a 22LR...

I also agree with the Sheriff comment... I never see our Sheriff out of his office other than at the scene of a MAJOR incident in which he had to speak before an audience or to the media. I don't think he even remembers how to be a cop anymore. Other than pushing pencils and looking through his e-mail from his various wives,girlfriends,and other mistresses ,while shoving doughnuts into his 300 IB mouth,I've never seen him do very much else.. MAYBE the occasional patrol here and there,or kissing the mayor's rear end to get that fat bonus so he can take care of his various woman.

Instead of weapon bans how about people bans. For instance,in Louisville,many shoot-outs in the west end anymore are "Taken notes of" rather than any real action attempted. Metros excuse is the lack of manpower,Hire more officers,train them better with their weapons and make them more adept at spotting a potential situation. Personal opinion,instead of police carrying pistols or assault rifles,they should be Issued MP-5s,MAC-10s or the like. Something small enough to holster,but capable of a higher penetration and rate of fire than their service pistols.

Vintovka Mosina 1891/30 with Monte Carlo Stock, Muzzle brake, bi-pod, custom bent bolt, tri-rail with x12 variable power AIM sports scope, range finder reticle green or red illumination, 2.5 IB match trigger.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:44 PM   #9
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
''There's absolutely no reason I can see having these weapons out on the street,'' he said.
Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Alvarez is either an uninformed "useful idiot" devoid of knowledge of the Constitution, or yet another politician looking to disarm the populace.

If you're inclined to write a letter explaining his error, the email address for his office is mayor@miamidade.gov.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:51 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Robocop and jeepcreep are spot on! Chiefs of police are appointed to their jobs by politicians. They are not elected. If they want to keep their jobs, they have to do as they are told by the mayors, city council, city manager, whatever. Once an officer gets above the rank of sergeant, he/she no longer practices law enforcement, but they become seat polishing administrators. By the time they reach the rank of chief, they are so far removed from the streets they no longer think as a cop, but as a politician. It was for that very reason, I never sought promotion above detective. I liked working with bad guys & gals too much to give it up.

It was not too long ago, that the IACP voted that the Second Amendment actually means what it says, that the people have the right to keep and bear arms. Now they do a 180 on so-called assault weapons. They are letting emotion dictate their vote.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved