Police in anti-gun states...Same limits as citizens? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Police in anti-gun states...Same limits as citizens?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Maybe a Mod. 15 combat masterpiece loaded w 110 gr. silvertips. There's the ticket.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2984 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 332

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Many gun companies are announcing new policies to limit sales to law-enforcement agencies in anti-gun states to only the items that the regular citizens in that state are allowed to own.

Position 1: Law enforcement officers have a very difficult and demanding job that can be very unsafe. They should be able to have access to any and every firearm product they need. Police should be exempt.

Position 2: Law enforcement is an arm of the state and should never be allowed to be more powerful than the general public. They should only have access to the same firepower that the citizenry has access to. Police should have the same limits.
I know it's semantics, but it bothers me nonetheless:

POLICE ARE CITIZENS!

They should be held to the same standards as "regular citizens" because they are citizens, be they regular, below average or even exceptional. They are civil servants who swore an oath to uphold the law. That should afford them no special exemptions from the laws of their communities and states where firearms law is concerned. They are not super-citizens, or somehow suddenly imbued with greatness. It's a civil service job, not a knighthood. You want to see changes? Make all LE agencies (Including all federal) subject to the local laws of where they are working. Yeah, even the POTUS's Secret service detail in DC.
What's good for the goose, is good for the gander.
NRA Life Member

“The mystery of government is not how Washington works but how to make it stop” — P.J. O’Rourke

Last edited by Overkill0084; 03-22-2013 at 03:53 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #33

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
It all goes back to where you live and how your voters view freedom. In many areas elected town boards and Mayors appoint very pro gun police commissionaires.
It seems people who live in "Liberal" states have more of an issue with local police than does citizens of "Red" states. Is the problem the police or is the problem the voters in your state?
I would agree with this and it highlights my point.

Those of us living in Blue States know exactly what every police force is capable of becoming... and it's not good... while folks in Red States and low population rural areas are still able to drink coffee with their police at the corner diner, ours run around in there "blacked out" cruisers and treat the public with indifference and hostility.

The complete lack of accountability is the problem. With a different agency for each jurisdiction who are charged with "investigating themselves" ... and a Union hamstringing any attempt fire to the bad ones... the end result everywhere becomes a version of today's LAPD... and IMHO... the LAPD is the most corrupt and dangerous criminal organization in America today.

Federal Grant dollars across multiple jurisdictions ALSO contribute to the problem. We've got jurisdictional Cop's, Highway Patrol, and even some Sheriff departments around the Country accepting Federal Money in exchange for executing illegal DUI Checkpoints and Immigration Checkpoints.

The Fed's don't give a sh!t about drunk driving or immigration... but the care deeply about "conscripting" local LEO's to do there biding.

Really... is anyone here OK with a Government check point to "show your papers"... illegally restricting our right to free travel and violating our right against unreasonable search and seizure?

With so many agencies out there, and the Fed's waiving these dollars around, it becomes a competition for funding with the bulk going to the department most willing to lick the Federal boot.

I'm not a fan of the "hippies"... but there were right about a few things and the advancing police state was one of them. I'm seeing it now because I ignored the tactics when they were "only" used in "blighted" "read... minority" communities.

You Red State folks will awaken to the same reality eventually... Its just a matter of time and resources.

Tack

PS... Sorry for the thread hi jack Chris... back to the point. OPTION 2

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 03-22-2013 at 04:23 PM.
CHLChris Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #34

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Why do you believe "Red" States will fail ? I would like to think people in "Blue" states would Cowboy Up and throw the bums out.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Why do you believe "Red" States will fail ? I would like to think people in "Blue" states would Cowboy Up and throw the bums out.
Because to fail is human nature... and to "control" is Government nature...

It started with inner city minorities and we all said nothing because it was not "our" kids being clubbed.

It moved into "most" communities through the excuse of the "war on drugs" and we said nothing because it was not our kids sitting in prison for possession.

We NOW endure Communist Block Style "check points" to "show our papers" under the pretense of DUI Enforcement and Immigration Checks.

How long is it before you find officer friendly's check point on the "only" road to your local gun club or shooting range... and he wishes to make sure you were not vicitimized and sold a STOLEN gun?

Our Local Police departments all over this country ARE being "conscripted" into service as Federal Thugs... wrapped up in a "friendlier" package and they ARE engaging in ILLEGAL activity against the American People and ARE doing so on the Federal Dime...

...So... who exactly are they working for? It sure as hell is not us.

Now... were all of the "conscript" department to fall under the command of the County Sherrif... we could on one hand "eliminate" the competition for Federal funds and on the other hand, make it much easier to organize a campaign to unseat any Sheriff who broke faith with the County he is sworn to serve.

Follow the Money Nightsalker... It ALWAYS comes back to the MONEY.

Tack

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 03-22-2013 at 07:39 PM.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #36

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUG3R44 View Post
Just think about how wonderful it would be w/o LEO's. You could drink and drive anytime you wanted, teenagers could drive as fast as they want, gang members wuold certainly be happy. The strong could prey upon the weak Let the good times roll. Yep, I'm being sarcastic.
Yeah cause cops do such a good job with all of that. They AVOID gang areas (area's which they create by the way). And of course the only reason I don't drink and drive or speed is because I might bump into a cop. Yeah... that's exactly why I don't do any of those things that could instantly end my life or someone else's. Fear of a ticket.

Get real.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary
Tackleberry1 Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #37

Quote:
Just think about how wonderful it would be w/o LEO's. You could drink and drive anytime you wanted, teenagers could drive as fast as they want, gang members wuold certainly be happy. The strong could prey upon the weak Let the good times roll. Yep, I'm being sarcastic.
I don't think anyone is questioning the need for LEO's. What I'm questioning is the need for every State...City...Town...and Po Dunk Township in the Country to have it's own private police force.

Note the word FORCE.

The Nations County Sheriff's are the only Constitutionally Accountable Top Cops we have... or have EVER had.

The Fed's negate the Constitutional Authority of the County Sheriff by over funding Po Dunk City departments and the Highway Partrol while the States under fund the Sheriff's offices.

This is done intentionally to negate the Constitutional Authority of ANY Sheriff who does not tow the Federal line.

So... we re-paint a bunch of cars... FIRE a bunch of Chief's... Re-Uniform anyone worth keeping... and put them all under the command of the ONLY TOP COP we can throw out come election day.

Where exactly is the flaw in my logic? Someone please enlighten me if I'm off base here.

Tack
Old 03-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #38

deleted....isn't worth the hassle.

Last edited by RUG3R44; 03-22-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #39

Quote:
and Po Dunk Township in the Country to have it's own private police force.

So small towns don't deserve police protection like big cities do? How about rural areas where the local city police and the County Sheriff's Dept. mutually assist each other?? HMMM?

Last edited by RUG3R44; 03-22-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #40

Quote:
So small towns don't deserve police protection like big cities do? How about rural areas where the local city police and the County Sheriff's Dept. mutually assist each other?? HMMM?
Total number of Cops VS Total number of Departments is two DIFFERENT arguments.

We can debate the total number of Cops if you like but the problem I'm talking about is the lack of accountability inherent in having multiple LEO departments, each with it's own leadership and it's own political "bent" having jurisdiction over every square inch of ground.

We don't need this many departments... and their existence does not serve the public good.

Roll them all under the command of a Top Cop the voters can toss out of office and you will begin to see a change in attitudes and professional conduct.

Tack

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 03-22-2013 at 09:11 PM.
tCan Likes This 
Closed Thread