Police in anti-gun states...Same limits as citizens? - Page 21
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Police in anti-gun states...Same limits as citizens?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #201
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7205 Times on 3946 Posts
Likes Given: 14681

I wouldn't say law enforcement has more at stake. The worst that could happen is you might lose your life. That's kinda what we're protecting, too.
...along with our families, property, and possessions.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

tCan Likes This 
Old 03-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #202

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I don't know man; I heard Robo or one of those Texas boys actually ate a libtard once.

I'll have to take a pass. Cholesterol content too high, gag reflex too low.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #203

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

And again you demonstrate just how out of touch you are with The People. You are, by virtue of your chosen career, somehow superior to me because you have "more at stake daily" than me and Tack. That is precisely the problem with you and the type of LEO that I described in my earlier (pointless) post. At least we know which side you will be on when the SHTF, despite your protests to the contrary. See you at Nuremburg Dick.
We have more at stake when taking political stances!? You quit your job and just for a political stance? You won't but you expect LEOs too. I'm all for people who fight the good fight but you make no sense. I took an oath to protect people's constitutional rights for a living it may be your hobby at best.

You obviously have some problem with authority/LE and are extremely sensitive which is fine. I'm not even going to entertain your Nuremberg comment. In terms of SHTF you can go put your tin foil hat on I live in reality. Stuff is messed up but it can be fixed. Its comical how you jump to such far out conclusions and come out of left field.

I can come to common ground and respect everyone but your something else.

Work on your reading comprehension.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #204

Liked 4806 Times on 2327 Posts
Likes Given: 1498

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4454 View Post
We have more at stake when taking political stances!? You quit your job and just for a political stance? You won't but you expect LEOs too. I'm all for people who fight the good fight but you make no sense. I took an oath to protect people's constitutional rights for a living it may be your hobby at best.

You obviously have some problem with authority/LE and are extremely sensitive which is fine. I'm not even going to entertain your Nuremberg comment. In terms of SHTF you can go put your tin foil hat on I live in reality. Stuff is messed up but it can be fixed. Its comical how you jump to such far out conclusions and come out of left field.

When it comes to "political stances", I would agree that LEO's do have more at stake. I think that "in the work place" most of us strive to avoid Politics and Religion because they're hot button topics that can piss people off and do nothing to enhance our job performance or "mission".

The unique element of LEO work seems "to me" to be that fact that Politics can and will DICTATE the mission.

Gun ban or not, I will continue to chug along doing what I do at work. No ones going to ask me to "violate my oath" in the course of my work. This does not hold true for LEO's. The wrong leader and the wrong set of "new rules" could instantly force Cops to make a decision.

Human nature is to "go along to get along" and my concern is that "if" Cops have not considered this possibility, the MAY choose the wrong path.

Hence this conversation and our desire to see our LEO's speaking up as to the folly of gun control. I understand that doing so in an "anti" jurisdiction could end a career which is why I'm suggesting the more protected paths of using the Unions, "if you have one", or "associations", FOP, ect... whatever.

Anything that can counteract the PUBLIC's perception that LEO's support this crap because their Chief is standing up with the Democratic Mayor, Governor, or City Council that's calling for it.

Guys like Viking and I sometimes get a bit passionate. For me, it's because I see the writing on the wall, am I wearing my tinfoil hat... perhaps... but that's ok if it averts the need to ever raise my rifle at anyone but a criminal coming through my front door.

Tack
Old 03-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #205

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:

I absolutely expect you to quit your job for a 'political stance'. The Oath. Obey it or earn no respect.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 03-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #206
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:

Let me ask you something. The law says that it is illegal to own an unregistered machinegun, BUT we should have that RIGHT because the Constitution protects our right to bear arms.

IF you came across someone who has not broken ANY laws except this one, that many see as unconstitutional, would you arrest them like they law says you should, or would you risk your career, and possibly your freedom by defending the Constitution and looking the other way?

I'm guessing that you will choose to arrest them because you don't want to risk your career or freedom.

DON'T say that you protect the Constitution when all you really do is enforce the law, whether it be Constitutional or not. If your not willing to do something as simple as speaking out publicly against unconstitutional laws, then your probably not going to defend the Constitution when the stakes are higher.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 03-28-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan

I absolutely expect you to quit your job for a 'political stance'. The Oath. Obey it or earn no respect.
Your missing the point. If you expect it then quit your job right now and become a full time 2nd amendment supporter. You won't because your a coward arm chair quarterback. I don't have this issue because I work and live in a pro gun area. But don't act as if you are asking some simple request which I honestly believe you would not step up and do

Old 03-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

When it comes to "political stances", I would agree that LEO's do have more at stake. I think that "in the work place" most of us strive to avoid Politics and Religion because they're hot button topics that can piss people off and do nothing to enhance our job performance or "mission".

The unique element of LEO work seems "to me" to be that fact that Politics can and will DICTATE the mission.

Gun ban or not, I will continue to chug along doing what I do at work. No ones going to ask me to "violate my oath" in the course of my work. This does not hold true for LEO's. The wrong leader and the wrong set of "new rules" could instantly force Cops to make a decision.

Human nature is to "go along to get along" and my concern is that "if" Cops have not considered this possibility, the MAY choose the wrong path.

Hence this conversation and our desire to see our LEO's speaking up as to the folly of gun control. I understand that doing so in an "anti" jurisdiction could end a career which is why I'm suggesting the more protected paths of using the Unions, "if you have one", or "associations", FOP, ect... whatever.

Anything that can counteract the PUBLIC's perception that LEO's support this crap because their Chief is standing up with the Democratic Mayor, Governor, or City Council that's calling for it.

Guys like Viking and I sometimes get a bit passionate. For me, it's because I see the writing on the wall, am I wearing my tinfoil hat... perhaps... but that's ok if it averts the need to ever raise my rifle at anyone but a criminal coming through my front door.

Tack
Your on point again tack I can agree with you and I share your concerns in a lot of ways. This Viking guy is still over the top and out in left field, as well he puts more words in people's mouths than MSMBC
Old 03-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

Let me ask you something. The law says that it is illegal to own an unregistered machinegun, BUT we should have that RIGHT because the Constitution protects our right to bear arms.
I
F you came across someone who has not broken ANY laws except this one, that many se as unconstitutional, would you arrest them like they law says you should, or would you risk your career, and possibly your freedom by defending the Constitution and looking the other way?

I'm guessing that you will choose to arrest them because you don't want to risk your career or freedom.

DON'T say that you protect the Constitution when all you really do is enforce the law, whether it be Constitutional or not. If your not willing to do something as simple as speaking out publicly against unconstitutional laws, then your probably not going to defend the Constitution when the stakes are higher.
I've never really run across it. When it comes to guns as long as your not a felon I rarely ask questions. If your a LAC I don't give you a hard time. Many times I've encountered people improperly concealing or not informing me of the firearm. I've never arrested for either I simply educate. Depending on the thousands of variables I may check the weapon serial number but that's kinda rare. As long as your not a felon I've never charged a weapon offense outside of assault with a weapon whatever it may be.

ATF mostly deals with your question Texas. I'm worried about felons thugs and gangbangers. the average joe with a machine gun? I could care less. But I'm only one LEO
Old 03-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #210
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
I've never really run across it. When it comes to guns as long as your not a felon I rarely ask questions. If your a LAC I don't give you a hard time. Many times I've encountered people improperly concealing or not informing me of the firearm. I've never arrested for either I simply educate. Depending on the thousands of variables I may check the weapon serial number but that's kinda rare. As long as your not a felon I've never charged a weapon offense outside of assault with a weapon whatever it may be.

ATF mostly deals with your question Texas. I'm worried about felons thugs and gangbangers. the average joe with a machine gun? I could care less. But I'm only one LEO
You didn't really answer my question. Your trying to avoid it by saying what you have done (very small things in comparison), or by putting it off on the ATF.

AS said before, I don't think you would. You won't even speak out against unconstitutional laws because you fear what may happen. THIS is taking that to a whole new level. You would likely loose your job if anyone found out, and you could possibly end up in jail.

Lets put this in a different situation. One much harder to avoid.

The is a group of people in possession of several illegal firearms. This group of people have never committed a crime before, and there is no reson to believe they will. They just happen to have guns that the Governemnt sees as illegal.
YOU are ordered by you superiors to confiscate these guns, and arrest this group of people. Will you do it, or will you quit your job instead?

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 03-28-2013 at 06:53 PM.
tCan Likes This 
Closed Thread