Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Police in anti-gun states...Same limits as citizens?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3732 Times on 1844 Posts
Likes Given: 1012

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4454 View Post
Can't disagree too much

I'm pro gun, NRA member the whole 9. To those of you who say cops should lead i understand, but put yourself in their shoes. That's a lot to ask and risk. I would do it but I don't work in an anti gun area.

If you think police should do it fine. Put your money where your mouth is and risk your job career and livelihood to make a statement. Walk/drive through the ghetto under equipped? That is in essence what your asking of LEOs. Is freedom worth it sure, but don't act as if your fighting the same fight on equal footing, your sacrifice is hardly that. If your a deputy in a right to work state your job is completely up to the sheriff. If you make a wrong move your done. Again you can't walk in those shoes.

In the end the major manufacturers will never stop selling to LEOs regardless. This whole debate is over nothing. The focus should be on your representatives and the people who actually try to invoke these changes. But if you think not selling to LEOs on someway forces LEOs to your cause I guess go for it.
Yes... it's a lot to ask. But appreciate the reason we are asking. Neither LAC's or LEO want to see a situation that pits us against one another... but I believe that is exactly what the current administration is trying to do. Restrict what LAC's can own while showering Police Chiefs with Federal Grant money to buy compliance.

This is the risk that could lead to a situation where LAC's and LEO's stop finding one another trust worthy... and begin finding one another above their front sight posts.

Risking a career is one thing, and none of us take that risk lightly... but doing nothing "publicly" and risking the alternative... puts lives in jeopardy... yours and ours.

Standing together NOW is how we stop it.

Tack
Old 03-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #192

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Yes... it's a lot to ask. But appreciate the reason we are asking. Neither LAC's or LEO want to see a situation that pits us against one another... but I believe that is exactly what the current administration is trying to do. Restrict what LAC's can own while showering Police Chiefs with Federal Grant money to buy compliance.

This is the risk that could lead to a situation where LAC's and LEO's stop finding one another trust worthy... and begin finding one another above their front sight posts.

Risking a career is one thing, and none of us take that risk lightly... but doing nothing "publicly" and risking the alternative... puts lives in jeopardy... yours and ours.

Standing together NOW is how we stop it.

Tack
Finally I see the common ground with you tack, it hurts to say I agree. These rights we have need to be stood up for a not taken lightly. I'm not taking up for or speaking for LEOs everywhere but at least try see things from their prospective when possible.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #193

Liked 464 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I can't let emotions drive my response to some of the anti cop posts, so I'll pass on responding for the time being. There's much in this country to criticize, but it should be done in the correct manner, cause I can definitely read hatred from some between the lines.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 03-28-2013 at 12:34 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-28-2013, 02:42 AM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
I can't let emotions drive my response to some of the anti cop posts, so I'll pass on responding for the time being. There's much in this country to criticize, but it should be done in the correct manner, cause I can definitely read hatred from some between the lines.
Gunsmoke...

I don't know if your talking about me but it would not be the first time an LEO mistook my "candid" manner for hatred of Cops.

I do not hate anyone, I especially do not hate Cops. Part of the problem, and I recognize that it's "my" problem, is that those of us who have been paid to carry a gun from the sands of Egypt to the Korean DMZ, simply do not put LEO's on any kind of pedestal.

Yes, your job is dangerous, but you chose it, just as I chose it when I signed away my liberty "for a time" to do my part for this Country.

Are the civilians here any less trust worthy than I, because Service was not a part of there background? Hell No!

Am I any less trust worthy than you because I recognized that my personality was not conducive to Law Enforcement and I chose another path? Hell No!

From my perspective, there are a small handfull of LEO's here, with Robo setting the example, who do not come off as arrogant pricks whenever anyone questions a Cops actions.

What I'm trying to say is that in order to communicate as equals here, LEO's need to follow Robo's lead and leave that "chip on your shoulders" out of the debate. For my part, I will do my best to avoid insulting anyone.

I'd also like to apologize to the forum for my part in the running insult contest back around page 14 or so with J44. We both should have taken a higher path.

I'd also like to thank the Mod's for keeping this thread going despite our mutual display of attitude... I think it's finally leading to a productive conversation.

Tack
Old 03-28-2013, 02:44 AM   #195

Quote:
Finally I see the common ground with you tack, it hurts to say I agree. These rights we have need to be stood up for a not taken lightly. I'm not taking up for or speaking for LEOs everywhere but at least try see things from their prospective when possible.
J44

Thank you... and I will.

It's obvious that we are both driven men of strong convictions. I'm glad we are finally able to discover our common ground.

Much Respect.

Tack

Old 03-28-2013, 04:49 AM   #196
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7375 Times on 4268 Posts
Likes Given: 9480

Just because a cops job is difficult and dangerous does not mean that absolves them of the responsibility to do it, and if they are good cops they will do their job in a way that does not tend to alienate the law abiding citizens who they work for.

Additionally, just because taking a hard and public stance on a difficult issue has the potential to cost one their job and their career, this does not absolve them from the moral duty to take that stance regardless of which side they take. Have full confidence in your convictions for Christ's sake. To do otherwise is to be a coward.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 03-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #197

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Just because a cops job is difficult and dangerous does not mean that absolves them of the responsibility to do it, and if they are good cops they will do their job in a way that does not tend to alienate the law abiding citizens who they work for.

Additionally, just because taking a hard and public stance on a difficult issue has the potential to cost one their job and their career, this does not absolve them from the moral duty to take that stance regardless of which side they take. Have full confidence in your convictions for Christ's sake. To do otherwise is to be a coward.
My version of this post (which I decided not to post) used the phrase, lack of integrity. But you've out done me once again.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 03-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #198

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Yeah no one said it absolves them from anything. They just have more at stake daily than you so its easy for you to say. We're kinda in agreement now but again thanks for your pointless post they are amusing

Old 03-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #199
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7375 Times on 4268 Posts
Likes Given: 9480

Quote:
Yeah no one said it absolves them from anything. They just have more at stake daily than you so its easy for you to say. We're kinda in agreement now but again thanks for your pointless post they are amusing
And again you demonstrate just how out of touch you are with The People. You are, by virtue of your chosen career, somehow superior to me because you have "more at stake daily" than me and Tack. That is precisely the problem with you and the type of LEO that I described in my earlier (pointless) post. At least we know which side you will be on when the SHTF, despite your protests to the contrary. See you at Nuremburg Dick.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #200

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

And again you demonstrate just how out of touch you are with The People. You are, by virtue of your chosen career, somehow superior to me because you have "more at stake daily" than me and Tack. That is precisely the problem with you and the type of LEO that I described in my earlier (pointless) post. At least we know which side you will be on when the SHTF, despite your protests to the contrary. See you at Nuremburg Dick.
Please explain the Nuremburg comment Viking. I'm pretty sure I understand the reference just want you to elaborate.

Closed Thread