Phoenix Teen shoots armed intruder. - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Phoenix Teen shoots armed intruder.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 03:30 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
I would feel something if i had to shoot and kill an attacker/intruder, but it wouldnt be good but it wouldnt be terrible. Sure, i would feel that it sucks that i had end someones existance, but that person just tried to hurt you and your family,i will not feel bad for that person. By stopping an attacker you are also preventing future victims, that is a justice in itself that you shouldnt feel bad about your actions. I am not heartless when it comes to people but a person that preys on innocent people is not human in my eyes and i dont see them as such. Im glad that the only casulty was the bad guy.
I have to agree with you here. Life is about choices. That thug MADE the choice to commit armed robbery, nobody made him do it, he did not have a genetic pre-disposition towards violent crime and no matter what some whinny Libtard says his environment/upbringing is not a valid excuse. He made the choice and paid the price. The kids parents and community need to thank him and re-enforce that what he did was right. He defended his life, his siblings lives and his home. Handled correctly this young man will have no mental issues from this in the future.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:33 AM   #42

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Thumbs up

But for the prompt and thoughtful actions of this young man I'd opine this story would have been another of the "it bleeds it leads" story lines so beloved of the anti-gun types.

Instead they're faced with a quandry. If they tout the "armed intruder" aspect they have to report the "successful armed response" as well. If they lead with the "14 year old shoots man" line they have to explain why the armed intruder broke into the house resulting his being shot.

IAC, Well Done young man ! When a crisis occurred you were up to the task ! >MW

Old 06-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have to agree with the sentiment here that the 14 year old should be praised for his quick thinking and decisive action and his ability to defend his siblings.

That said, something about this story smells. It was 4:30 in the afternoon. We know a woman (apparently working with an armed thug) attempted to get access to the house through deception. When that failed the armed thug forced his way into the house brandishing a weapon. It seems safe to conclude that these criminals had a strong motive to target that particular house. It could be they somehow knew only kids were home, but that alone doesn't seem like sufficient motivation.

It seems likely to me that they were after something very specific, that they had reason to believe (maybe inside knowledge) there was something of high value in the house.

It wouldn't surprise me to hear sometime down the line that this was a drug-motivated crime. The mention in the article of the father being so overwhelmed by what had happened that he couldn't even talk to the cops would seem to fit with a play for time for him to find out from his kids what the cops may or may not have found.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #44
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8453 Times on 4897 Posts
Likes Given: 11020

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichNH View Post
I have to agree with the sentiment here that the 14 year old should be praised for his quick thinking and decisive action and his ability to defend his siblings.

That said, something about this story smells. It was 4:30 in the afternoon. We know a woman (apparently working with an armed thug) attempted to get access to the house through deception. When that failed the armed thug forced his way into the house brandishing a weapon. It seems safe to conclude that these criminals had a strong motive to target that particular house. It could be they somehow knew only kids were home, but that alone doesn't seem like sufficient motivation.

It seems likely to me that they were after something very specific, that they had reason to believe (maybe inside knowledge) there was something of high value in the house.

It wouldn't surprise me to hear sometime down the line that this was a drug-motivated crime. The mention in the article of the father being so overwhelmed by what had happened that he couldn't even talk to the cops would seem to fit with a play for time for him to find out from his kids what the cops may or may not have found.
Or maybe the dad is a precious metals dealer or something like that. No need to jump on the potential illegal stuff. I would expect that the cops would not mention that to the media. Had drugs been suspect they probably would have mentioned it and twisted it into some sort of crime for the kid to have access to a firearm and held the parents accountable.

Last edited by Vikingdad; 06-26-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #45
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6321 Times on 3154 Posts
Likes Given: 6789

It is hard to tell from a few paragraphs what really happened but I think I will just take it at face value and say hooray for the good guys and goodnight to the bad ones.

It didnt used to be a freak thing to teach kids the lethal use of firearms, it was always reasonable to let them know the value and the danger of touching or using a weapon. When pops was gone fighting a war, hunting, trapping or fishing, the next in line was expected to guard the home front and that likely was Mom and or the oldest kid.

Thats just as true today as it was 150 years ago. we cant just hope 911 will save the day, likely they will just scrape up whats left when they get there. We are absolutely responsible for making it to the next day, nobody else can and will pay the price to make sure you do. If you cant protect yourself yours and your loved ones life story could be cut short and early.

I am going to start teaching my 12 yo granddaughter to shoot soon, I should have done more with my step-kids but thats a whole nother story!

Old 06-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You guys are right, it could have been knowledge about the parents like he's a jeweler/gem dealer or perhaps he invests in precious metals which he keeps at home. Not knowing anything about the area/neighborhood where this occurred, that is as likely as my original hypothesis.

The kid is a hero either way.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #47
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8453 Times on 4897 Posts
Likes Given: 11020

One of my friends in high school (we are still in touch) dad did something in precious metals and such. I knew but not many others did. They live in an upper-middle class neighborhood and you wouldn't know the father did what he did. They would have made for a pretty soft target. Just sayin'.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #48
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Now a-days most folks are a soft target, too many people looking for the quick and easy cash in bad financial times. Even packing isnt the cure, just an option if your lucky enough to get a warning. The fact this kid hit his mark first is pretty incredible.

Cities are really a huge target rich environment, the tighter you pack them in, the bigger the bang, just like pyro! We moved back out in the boonies 8 years ago from a small town 10 miles away and the difference is like night and day. Not too many criminal concerns out here, most people own at least a few weapons and know how to use them. You couldnt get me to live where more than 1 family per 15 road frontage acres is the norm.

Escape while you still can, you might not be as lucky as this young man!

Old 06-29-2012, 01:09 AM   #49

Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38
Now a-days most folks are a soft target, too many people looking for the quick and easy cash in bad financial times. Even packing isnt the cure, just an option if your lucky enough to get a warning. The fact this kid hit his mark first is pretty incredible.

Cities are really a huge target rich environment, the tighter you pack them in, the bigger the bang, just like pyro! We moved back out in the boonies 8 years ago from a small town 10 miles away and the difference is like night and day. Not too many criminal concerns out here, most people own at least a few weapons and know how to use them. You couldnt get me to live where more than 1 family per 15 road frontage acres is the norm.

Escape while you still can, you might not be as lucky as this young man!
The only problem I see with living in the boonies is medical emergency. How far are you from a hospital? Our cousins live in the boonies and the closest hospital is 45 minutes away!! I know with how all these subdivisions are being built is crazy. Its like the saying "The more the merrier." I like our neighborhood and plus me and my wife both carry and know how to use them!!

Old 06-30-2012, 01:25 AM   #50
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Im 10 - 15 minutes from the ER of two hospitals, not big ones but big enough to deal with most of the issues, stabilize and ship to Upstate or Utica 40 minutes away. Even our VFD does one hell of a job, Call 911 and a Medic and Firetruck will be there in 15 minutes or less.

Were lucky around here, Towns and villages are pretty self reliant, we have to be. Nearly 10 years ago we had a huge Ice storm, Knocked out huge portions of NY Upstate region. We got activated for a month to break through and clean up. Folks we got to a week into the thing near the Canadian border were mostly snug as a bug in their homes, had some type of heat, lots of food and most had a generator. All of them wanted gas but all also admitted to having plenty but they would take the free stuff if we had extra. They didnt want the MRE's, they were eating better than us!

Good thing they were prepared cause most of them went a month or more without any power. The cities on the other hand were desperate, people died from sealing themselves in with Kerosun heaters, froze and were eating in the emergency shelters daily. It wasnt pretty at all, they were hurting bad.