Philadelphia Police won't obey the law - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Philadelphia Police won't obey the law

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggy5 View Post
...However, if a cop had his gun on me and told me to slowly get my permit and show it to him, and let me go and said have a nice day, I wouldn't consider him a douche.
Problem is, i think this "LEO" wanted duder to "prone out" and wasn't interested in a permit. That seems a bit much to me.

I should say that i don't see ME ever open carrying outside of the woods, but i don't object to other people carrying openly.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Problem is, i think this "LEO" wanted duder to "prone out" and wasn't interested in a permit. That seems a bit much to me.

I should say that i don't see ME ever open carrying outside of the woods, but i don't object to other people carrying openly.
Agreed on both parts. Dougherty should have realized once the guy pleaded, what I would consider politely, to let him show the cop his permit, that he was legit. Prone is way over the top.

We do have to remember this isn't like the Wild West where everyone has a gun on his hip except the local Dr. and minister. People aren't used to seeing them, and they have such a bad rap from the liberals that open carry is just a bad idea. I do agree that Fiorino was well within his rights though.

Luke 22:36 - He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I think it's retarded to open carry and can't think of one good reason to do so.
Used to be around here that concealed carry was illegal and open carry was legal. That thankfully changed and legal concealed carry with a permit (and some annoying restrictions) is legal, but before if you were going to carry (again around here) it had to be open to be legal.

2010: "Of course I'll waive my rights. I don't want to miss my connecting flight."

Old 05-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3099 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
I guess until you're in the shoes of a police officer in a city where there is a lot of violence, and may have been shot at before; you can't really know how intense it might be seeing someone openly carrying a gun, which is why I think it's retarded to open carry and can't think of one good reason to do so.
I think skydiving is a strange and crazy activity. But it too, is a legal activity. When pursuing a legal activity, one should not have to expect a gun in the face along w/ verbal and physical abuse from those who are sworn to protect you. I'm not a fan of open carry either, but a holstered gun is not necessarily an immediate threat. This happened at a parts store, not a dark alley.
Prosecuting this guy is malicious, pure & simple. There wasn't a problem with the situation until he released the tape.
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 05-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #25
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I guess the bottom line is you don't draw down on someone unless you intend to kill them immediately. The fact the cop used his weapon as a means to get someone to stop combined with his ignorance of the law...that speaks volumes to me. It doesn't matter what Dougherty's background is or how decorated he may be. His actions were stupid and could have led to one or more people dying unnecessarily.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
I think skydiving is a strange and crazy activity. But it too, is a legal activity. When pursuing a legal activity, one should not have to expect a gun in the face along w/ verbal and physical abuse from those who are sworn to protect you.
Skydiving only has the possibiliy of injurying one person, the idiot jumping. Again, I'm not defending what THIS cop did, but I wouldn't feel it would be out of the ordinary to be drawn on if I was carrying openly. I know cops in my town would do it, and we're a small midwestern town.

Luke 22:36 - He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #27

Liked 2787 Times on 1253 Posts
Likes Given: 2665

So you think it's ok for cops to point a gun at you when you are doing something that is perfectly legal?

What's next the cop gets gum on his shoe and draws down on you because you are chewing gum. Or because you are driving a red car and statistcally red cars are involved in more accidents than any other color. So therefore you must be a danger to the public. If you haven't broken the law then you shouldn't have a weapon pointed in your direction.

Even if this guy was looking for a confrontation, so what, do we blame the rape victim just because she was dressed like a slut.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:03 AM   #28

No one (around here) thinks what the cop did was OK, but what to do about it? Cops feel threatened and they respond, who wants that kind of trouble. Even if he shoots you he likely wont even lose his job and he knows it.

I cant see a reason to carry in the open, youll be dealing with cops everyday.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:35 AM   #29
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkman3111 View Post
No one (around here) thinks what the cop did was OK, but what to do about it? Cops feel threatened and they respond, who wants that kind of trouble. Even if he shoots you he likely wont even lose his job and he knows it.
That's the problem right there. If you or I draw down on someone illegally or kill someone, we're headed for prison. When a cop does it, most often the end result is some bureaucratic paper-shuffling and a reassignment but no criminal record and no prison time. That's the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkman3111 View Post
I cant see a reason to carry in the open, youll be dealing with cops everyday.
Neither do I, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't be allowed to. The more who did, the less of a novelty this would be.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:28 AM   #30

Default Open Carry:protecting our right

I think people who want to fight the open carry fight need to pick a day (4th of July?) and publicize in advance as a courtesy to the terrified sheep.

Honestly I don't think I would last 10 minutes on the streets of Seattle with a 9mm showing.

We had a city cop here shot down an old wino in broad daylight, it was actually the first ever officer involved shooting in this area that was ruled "unjustified". The city paid 1.5 million to the family and the officer lost his job. (pension? I dunno).

The cops argument was that this 60 year old indian who looked 80 didn't drop his woodcarving knife (which was closed) when ordered. After 4 seconds the officer fired 4 rounds into John Williams chest.

I own a gun but I don't carry. Honestly I am afraid of being shot by the police.