Petition to Remove Ohio's Concealed Carry Notification Law - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Petition to Remove Ohio's Concealed Carry Notification Law

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post

There should be more specificity in the wording though if they are going to have the requirement to notify in the law. I would be happy if, when the subject handed me his driver's license and registration, he also handed me his CCW. But "promptly" is pretty vague.

Fully agreed. Too many laws that apply to everyday individuals are ambiguous. There are numbers of laws that are too tough for the typical individual to understand. Why not let normal people understand the law?

WAIT!!! What am I saying? Laws are written so good people get screwed, and the BG can walk away unscathed. Furthermore, if normal people can understand laws, then they'll be a lot more homeless suits downtown outside of the courthouse, no need for lawyers.

Kidding aside...

Yes, I know that the scumbags I stop aren't going to say anything, but like I said it is for your safety as well as mine. If a legally carrying individual is carrying on his 6:00, and he leans forward to grab his wallet, I may be able to see that weapon. If I don't know the subject is a CCW holder, then what should I think? Going for the gun or for the wallet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Secondly, when you run the plates (if the vehicle is registered in the drivers name) you should know before ever approaching the vehicle if the person has a CCW license or not.
Isn't technology grand? Well, it is when it works. The county I work in uses some of the most technologically advanced police equipment available. But, like everything else that uses a computer, it only works "right" a portion of the time. The system uses Sprint 3G, and like regular phone service, my 3G connection cuts in and out depending on where I am. It runs faster, it runs slower, and sometimes it doesn't run at all. So yes, I should be able to tell if the REGISTERED owner has a CCW. By the way, have you ever driven a vehicle that is not registered to you? Your CCW won't show up until I retrieve your driver's license information. Through training, we always expect the worst; is there a reason you didn't mention you're packing?

Old 09-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #12
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
By the way, have you ever driven a vehicle that is not registered to you? Your CCW won't show up until I retrieve your driver's license information. Through training, we always expect the worst; is there a reason you didn't mention you're packing?

HEHEHE!! Funny story about this very subject.

One day, I made a legal move to pass a car turning left at a green light. The car behind the van turning left decided to just whip out without a turn signal. Me in my F-150 already had position on said car (Dont sit and act like your turning when your not and if you want the vehicle behind you to know your turning right to go around, use your signal) anywho, this dumb@$$ throws a fit and starts laying on the horn as i go by and thru the intersection. Well, there is a police cruiser stopped at the light and sees this idiot making a scene. LEO pulls me over as if i had done something wrong. I turn off the main thoroughfare onto a side street, turn on my hazzards, turn off the engine and collect my paperwork for inspection. He comes to my window in a huff, blowing $hit and stink at me and generally being a prick hiding behind his badge. (his sawed off arse DAMN sure wouldnt talk to me like that in civilian life) Well, i POLITELY explain the situation, hand off my license and registration, never once mentioning my legally concealed 1911 sitting in the crack between the seats.(Here in IN we dont have disclosure law) When he comes back to the truck with my paperwork he has a COMPLETELY new attitude! All polite and professional like...i.e. came back with his hat in his hand. >>Snicker<< the F-150 is registered in the wifes name and she (as of yet) doesnt have her CCW...When he ran my DL i am sure he was informed of my CCW status.

Lesson to be learned from this story?? (especially LEO's) Speak politely, remember the golden rule, and be nice to other people as you NEVER know who might have a gun in their back pocket.

"an armed society is a polite society"

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 09-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessRegard View Post
Fully agreed. Too many laws that apply to everyday individuals are ambiguous. There are numbers of laws that are too tough for the typical individual to understand. Why not let normal people understand the law?

WAIT!!! What am I saying? Laws are written so good people get screwed, and the BG can walk away unscathed. Furthermore, if normal people can understand laws, then they'll be a lot more homeless suits downtown outside of the courthouse, no need for lawyers.

Kidding aside...

Yes, I know that the scumbags I stop aren't going to say anything, but like I said it is for your safety as well as mine. If a legally carrying individual is carrying on his 6:00, and he leans forward to grab his wallet, I may be able to see that weapon. If I don't know the subject is a CCW holder, then what should I think? Going for the gun or for the wallet

Isn't technology grand? Well, it is when it works. The county I work in uses some of the most technologically advanced police equipment available. But, like everything else that uses a computer, it only works "right" a portion of the time. The system uses Sprint 3G, and like regular phone service, my 3G connection cuts in and out depending on where I am. It runs faster, it runs slower, and sometimes it doesn't run at all. So yes, I should be able to tell if the REGISTERED owner has a CCW. By the way, have you ever driven a vehicle that is not registered to you? Your CCW won't show up until I retrieve your driver's license information. Through training, we always expect the worst; is there a reason you didn't mention you're packing?
Why do you think lawyers write the laws...legislators sure don't UNLESS they are a lawyer. They have some slick law school grad rewrite them from a draft.

Anytime someone failed to let me know they were carrying, my suspicious nature said..."What else are you hiding?"

The "law abiding citizen" isn't a myth, most folks go about their day trying to and largely succeeding in doing the right thing....but those of you who are of the "the cop is always wrong and always an *******" mentality...we see people at their absolute worst, most of the time. We see the tweaker who just beat his girlfriend's baby half to death because he thought the baby stole his stash of crank. We see the gang banger who just shot up a 7 year old's bedroom because he thought June Bug was sleeping there instead of the second grader who actually was. We see the EMTS transporting the woman who was just raped and beaten nearly to death. We see all those things you DON'T see on TV or if you do, you see the watered down version from a distance.

Does your second cousin's friend who used to be a cop who once told you that thus and so make YOU an expert on police work? No. Not by a long shot. Years of service (yes...SERVICE because we SERVE the community) doesn't even make us experts. It makes us good cops and survivors/

Do I trust you? Hell no. I don't know you. Unless I know, and I mean really KNOW you...I don't trust you or your motives until I have known you a LONG time. UNLESS you are another cop, or a firefighter, or an EMT, I won't trust you for a LONG LONG time.

Would YOU trust someone YOU don't know to walk into your house with a gun? Would you prefer they let you know they are carrying? If you spot their gun, and they haven't let you know, would you think nothing about it?

I hear or read "cops think they are above the law" all the time. It's horse crap. No one knows the reality of the law better than a street cop does. Lawyers know how to manipulate it, and how to go around it. A cop has his statute book, and his training, and a whole community of critics if he isn't PERFECT all the time, every time. I don't mean negligent, or incompetent. I mean absolutely PERFECT in every way in every single decision. Some people think we wake up in the morning, or before our shift with a stiffy to go out and stomp some poor minority's civil rights, and bust heads, and run and gun. That's crap too. It takes a lot of heart, guts, integrity, and work to EARN our badges. They don't hand them out like candy at Halloween. Extremely rigorous drug, background, and psych testing, and even the top 10% don't always make it past that phase. Then you have an academy that washes out half again. Then there is the year of probation that washes out even more.

I always did my job the best way I could. I was honest. I worked hard to always do the right thing. And you know what...I gave more breaks to Joe Citizen than I ever did to other officers. You know why? The vast majority of officers drive like grannies when we aren't working...because we see what driving like an idiot can do. We scoop the remains into coroner bags. We see the results when Bill gets a load on at Bar X and runs into a minivan with Soccer Mom and Kids aboard.

No, cops aren't perfect and some bad ones DO slip through the cracks...but the rest of us soon identify and get rid of them. You know why? They can get US killed too.

I always hated working with jerks and hardcases. I treated EVERYONE with respect, and required the same in return. I was always professional.

I also absolutely believe it is the RIGHT of every law abiding citizen to go armed. I thinks it's foolish NOT to go armed. But...just help US help YOU.

Sorry I hijacked your quote Reckless...a coffee fueled rant.

Last edited by ArizonaLawman; 09-02-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #14

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
Sorry I hijacked your quote Reckless...a coffee fueled rant.
Hey, I understand fully. 8 cups of terrible home brewed coffee in me, and I have to work tonight, so you know I will only be adding to the caffine craze the rest of the day. Not much chance for sleep either, I am on Mr. Mom duty til my wife gets home this evening.

And as always, any backup is nice; comforting even... But you know how that goes from your time on the street.

Last edited by RecklessRegard; 09-02-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessRegard View Post
Hey, I understand fully. 8 cups of terrible home brewed coffee in me, and I have to work tonight, so you know I will only be adding to the caffine craze the rest of the day. Not much chance for sleep either, I am on Mr. Mom duty til my wife gets home this evening.

And as always, any backup is nice; comforting even... But you know how that goes from your time on the street.
A-Freakin-Men Brother!

I always loved working nights. My friends thought I was nuts. They all tried every trick in the book to get day tour. Not me...I was always most comfortable working nights. I could be home in the morning to get my little one off to school, and be home when she got off the bus, and put her to bed before I went to work. Momma Bear was home with her at night...so she had 24/7 Police Protection....LOL. On the down side....court appearances in the morning. 3 1/2 hr OT minimum, even if we were only there 15 minutes to hear the judge grant a continuance, or the pros announce a plea had been reached.

The one thing about police work...the store clerks would ALWAYS keep fresh coffee on for me to keep me coming in throughout the night.

One Chevron station even had a tiny "office", more of a broom closet with a small desk, and an internet connection for guys in that sector to use on meal breaks so we could stay ahead of the paperwork monster.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #16

I signed it. The wording is unclear and needs to be rewritten to be more specific.

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #17

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

Ohio native and will eventually retire there.
Me sign 2

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 10-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #18
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1334 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Thanks for all the signatures, guys! Every one gets us one step closer to clearing up the longest CCW law in the states.

Arizona_Lawman, thanks for the insight. I've always done what you describe, but I like the fact that you confirm it's the thing to do. Always love your input!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)