Petition to Remove Ohio's Concealed Carry Notification Law
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Petition to Remove Ohio's Concealed Carry Notification Law

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #1
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Thumbs up Petition to Remove Ohio's Concealed Carry Notification Law

Criminal Justice Petition: Ohio Governor & Legislation: Remove Ohio's Concealed Carry Notification Law | Change.org

"With the current language of Ohio law when Ohioans are approached by law enforcement they are required to notify "Promptly". Ohio's law does not define the word "Promptly" and may be taken any way by any law enforcement.

Only law abiding citizens are allowed to get Concealed Carry Licenses in the state of Ohio. One must have a background check, finger prints taken, photo, & listed on a Public forum. For a good honest citizen to go to jail because they did not inform a police officer in a "Prompt" manner is a shame. They were not criminals before the stop and now would be one because they simply did not talk.

We are asking the Ohio Governor & its Legislature to come up with an alternative or remove the Notification Law all together."

We would appreciate anyone who signs it. Thanks in advance.

PS: Feel free to post a link to this or the petition on any other boards or social networks you have access to.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #2

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

Signed. Me and my wife were suppose to head over to Ohio, that changed last year.

Looks like things are changing drastically.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using FirearmsTalk

Old 09-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Will do, I live in ohio and that rule is very subject to opinion and needs out.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 09-02-2011, 02:54 AM   #4
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Thanks guys! Every signature gets it that much closer!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-02-2011, 02:58 AM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

I am LEO in OH, and with that being said, I like to know when there is a firearm in the vehicle I am stopping.

But, I have seen instances where not so good cops don't give the subject a chance to say they have a CCW. In fact, I recently watched a dash cam video of a horrific stop that occurred in Canton, OH (I think). The officer was completely domineering, and wouldn't let the subject he stopped get a word in edgewise. On said stop, he later arrested the subject for not telling him he had a CCW.

Which is why, whenever I approach a vehicle, I say: "Good evening. My name is Officer _______, with _____________ Police Department. I stopped you today for __________. Do you have any legal justification for ____________?"

At this time, I fully expect someone to mention they have a CCW. It is for my safety and the subjects safety. I can see where the law may be tough for some instances, but with all respects it is for safety. You better believe that I will mention it to an officer if I am stopped.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:58 AM   #6

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

Signed & a resident of Ohio

Old 09-02-2011, 03:00 AM   #7

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

Here is a question: Do you have to notify that you have a permit or just if you are carrying at that moment?

Old 09-02-2011, 06:28 AM   #8

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessRegard View Post
I am LEO in OH, and with that being said, I like to know when there is a firearm in the vehicle I am stopping.

But, I have seen instances where not so good cops don't give the subject a chance to say they have a CCW. In fact, I recently watched a dash cam video of a horrific stop that occurred in Canton, OH (I think). The officer was completely domineering, and wouldn't let the subject he stopped get a word in edgewise. On said stop, he later arrested the subject for not telling him he had a CCW.
This was a pretty sad state of affairs. As a matter of fact, another firearm forum/legal group called Ohioans for Concealed Carry filed a lawsuit if I'm not mistaken. Its speculated amongst members there that criminal charges could be following.

In defense of the officer involved, I think the complainant should have been more forceful in his attempts to notify, but that doesn't make any of this "better."

Oh yea, signed, and a freedom loving resident of Central Ohio!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 09-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:

Which is why, whenever I approach a vehicle, I say: "Good evening. My name is Officer _______, with _____________ Police Department. I stopped you today for __________. Do you have any legal justification for ____________?"

At this time, I fully expect someone to mention they have a CCW. It is for my safety and the subjects safety. I can see where the law may be tough for some instances, but with all respects it is for safety. You better believe that I will mention it to an officer if I am stopped.
With all due respect....LEOs are simply citizens doing a job. they are NOT the law, nor are they above the law. If you stop someone and are professional and polite you have nothing to worry about from a law abiding citizen carrying concealed. We are checked and double checked before ever getting our CCW license. So the "its a safety thing" argument flys in the face of reason. A convicted violent felon damn sure isnt going to disclose they are packing. When pulled over i EXPECT to be treated with respect. Few things anger me more then an overbearing prick hiding behind a badge!

Secondly, when you run the plates (if the vehicle is registered in the drivers name) you should know before ever approaching the vehicle if the person has a CCW license or not.

Lastly, There have been MANY reported instances of people impersonating officers, it is rather easy to buy lights, sirens and uniforms. I carry concealed to protect myself and family from nere-do-wells of all stripes. Be they LEOs in costume or costumed LEOs. Its my ace in the hole. I hate the thought of being forced to tip my hand.

I guess what i am saying here is, if you are professional and polite you have little worry about from a law abiding citizen carrying concealed. Its the scumbags that DO NOT obey the law you need to worry about!

**Edit**

For the record, when pulled over, I am VERY polite and courteous. I do things by the book and do my best to make the stop as least harrowing/stressing/nerve racking as possible for BOTH parties. I am NOT anti LEO, I am pro common sense, PRO freedom!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Last edited by fmj; 09-02-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

Amen. The guy who told me right up front that he was carrying got a lot of "good guy points" in my book, and if it was a minor traffic beef, he would often just get a warning.

In Arizona, there is no requirement to notify, but to me it just makes a heck of a lot of sense. Even as a retired officer, I ALWAYS let an officer with whom I am not aquainted know that I am carrying.

There should be more specificity in the wording though if they are going to have the requirement to notify in the law. I would be happy if, when the subject handed me his driver's license and registration, he also handed me his CCW. But "promptly" is pretty vague.

I got pulled over in Mansfield, OH about five years ago when driving from Michigan back home to Arizona after a funeral. The city puke (sorry...have to rib the city guys) who stopped me for a burnt out license plate light was likewise happy when he approached my truck, and I had the interior lights on, my license, registration, proof of insurance, AND my CCW all in my hand.

I just said as he walked up to the window "Howdy, I just want to let you know, I have my permit, and I am armed, it's a Glock 40 and it's in a holster on my right hip. Here is my license, registration, and CCW."

"I saw your blue line sticker, you a cop?"

"Yeah, in Arizona. I'm not trying to fade the ticket, I just wanted you to know I was packin'." I never showed my badge until HE asked for it, I only had my CCW in my hand....bad juju to try to badge your way out of a cite...can get you suspended w/o pay in these parts.

"You got a toasted plate light. Get the (f-bomb) outta here. I'll let the guy shooting radar down the road know I talked to you already. Be safe."

"Peace. You too, thanks."

Some of you MIGHT say I got out of a ticket becasue I was a cop...I don't think that is the point here at all. I opened all four windows on my crew cab, and turned on all the interior lights so he could see inside without having to ask. As soon as I started talking, I let him know I had a permit (I didn't show my badge), and what and where I was carrying, so there would be NO surprises. True, he was fishing for DUI's....no one has to tell me that. We have all done it at 0300. Clearly I was only guilty of a burnt out light, and too much coffee. Most traffic whores wouldn't even write THAT cite, especially to an out of state driver who was otherwise good to go.

What it illustrates is the good common sense to letting a cop know you're armed. It may just earn you good guy points and a verbal instead of a written citation.

So...let the nice man standing out in the cold, or rain, or heat, or dark, or snow, that you are packing!

But by all means fight to get that ambiguous bit of language out of your CCW laws. I think it sucks too!