People that use ccw as a license to kill - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > People that use ccw as a license to kill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Twolf, you forgot:
Don't use a firearm you purchased
don't use a firearm registered to you
don't use a firearm listed with the local Sheriff as YOURS
and of course
don't forget to ask for lube (it can't hurt to ask, but will hurt if you don't ask)

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

A CCW permit is a HUGE responsibility and you better have good common sense to AVOID pulling a gun at all cost, or having to shoot & kill another human being. I'd suggest your friend watch the "Best Defense" on the Outdoor Channel. Avoid the fight, if possible.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #13

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

When I go to a big box store on a busy weekend, I can bet there are 100 people there who are carrying.
Strangely, I don't ever hear peep that would represent that they were packing.
Grandma is such a quiet person, but deadly with that .38 in her purse.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

So i have a question alot of you know my medical situation the only thing covering my intestines is a thin layer of skin and thays it i have no abdominal muscle at all so if someone came at me at me to hit me and i shot him what dk you think the outcome in court would because if someone punches me in the gut im as good as dead.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The situation that the op has described is and will always be the thorn in the side of the law-abiding conscientious gun owner. I, personally, would be the first in line to revoke his license for just saying that kind of sh#t. He may have the right to own a firearm but it sounds as if he has some maturing to do before handling such a large responsibility.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 02-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8859 Times on 3837 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Woody- when it comes to legal advice, we make great cookies. This is really not the place for shopping for pointers on law. Most of us never passed the bar (any bar- always stopped for a beer)

The GENERAL rule on use of deadly force in self defense- the defender must believe that they are in grave danger of death or serious bodily harm. A person that has hemophilia (blood does not clot) would be terrified by someone coming after them with a knife.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:01 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Woody- when it comes to legal advice, we make great cookies. This is really not the place for shopping for pointers on law. Most of us never passed the bar (any bar- always stopped for a beer)

The GENERAL rule on use of deadly force in self defense- the defender must believe that they are in grave danger of death or serious bodily harm. A person that has hemophilia (blood does not clot) would be terrified by someone coming after them with a knife.
Roger that

Old 02-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #18

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Friend or not, I would at the very least keep my distance from him if not report him. If I'm not mistaken, in the situation your describing he could be charged with pre meditated murder. If he ever shoots someone like that, he can kiss his gun rights goodbye, along with his life, because he will be in prison for a very, very long time.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 02-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #19

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip11
Here in Detroit, I have come across a few people who have the mentality that their CCW permit gives them a license to kill and get away with it. I was explaining to someone that if you provoke a situation, even verbally, to the point of violence, you can't then use your gun against someone and then claim self defense. This person believed that he could get away with saying whatever he wanted to another person to provoke them, and then if the person physically attacked him, he could then shoot them and not have to worry about jail.

I explained that it doesn't work that way and that a jury would probably be more sympathetic to someone illegally concealed carrying but had to use their weapon in a legitimate self defense situation, than someone who had legal paperwork to CCW and purposely put themselves in a situation to be able to use their gun. People who think like that hurt the cause for the rest of us.
The person you mention is very damaging to legal, law abiding, responsible gun owners. He is the type of CCP holder that the anti-gunners are COUNTING on.

I always make sure to tell the person that, and to articulate to them my preference that they don't acquire a gun at all...much less a permit to carry.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:39 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
If you shoot someone- under ANY circumstances, it WILL be a life changing event. Even a "good" shooting.
they need the money to hire the lawyer.
Tom Gresham on his radio show had a great discussion on that point a few weeks ago. He said to plan on 100k in expenses, even after a valid self defense shoot. After reading the story on the XD forum about what someone had to deal with after a valid home invasion self defense shoot, it was eye opening.

OP - have this tool come to one of the Michigan Open Carry seminars. They can maybe have an enlightening discussion with him. Frankly, there's enough problems with people thinking we're a bunch of out of control gun toting yahoo's without providing proof that some are.