Owning an AR-15 in IL
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Owning an AR-15 in IL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Owning an AR-15 in IL

I live in IL, sadly I came across something stated that in Cook County, Illinois (Chicago) you can not own an AR-15.

Is that correct or does it have to do with the rounds a magazine holds? Where would I find if other Illinois counties fall into the same restrictions?

Obviously I'm not talking an automatic AR-15. I'm really thinking about building one from 'scratch.' One of my best friends is an Army Infantryman. He's taken many military level classes on firearms and has worked on a few ARs/M14s. So, if I need some help he'll definitely be there.

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Sorry SmokyMtnHiker, if your in Chicago -You cannot own one in Crook er I mean Cook County, IL.

I'm in IL but thankfully not in Crook er I mean Cook County so I am allowed to own my AR type firearms.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:31 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goretro77 View Post
Sorry SmokyMtnHiker, if your in Chicago -You cannot own one in Crook er I mean Cook County, IL.

I'm in IL but thankfully not in Crook er I mean Cook County so I am allowed to own my AR type firearms.
Thankfully nor am I in Crook County. I'm in East-Central Illinois. Right in the heart of crop fields, and the U of I.

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Old 01-30-2012, 01:35 AM   #4

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnHiker View Post
Thankfully nor am I in Crook County. I'm in East-Central Illinois. Right in the heart of crop fields, and the U of I.
Hey Im not to far from ya , Im in between Champaign and Bloomington . To the OP the best thing you could do is just move away from Chicago/ Cook Co.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:37 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Hey Im not to far from ya , Im in between Champaign and Bloomington.
I think you posted in another thread I was reading. You posted a pic of Pliura's Poster on his CC/2nd Amendment meeting in Clinton that's coming up. I think I'm just outside his district or would definitely attend.

-------------

Old 01-30-2012, 03:50 AM   #6

i dont understand. there is a sh*tload of you people on here from Illinois. Theres some famous guns made in Illinois. yet horrible gun laws are continuously passed in that state. how have you people not revolted yet?

Old 01-30-2012, 03:56 AM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2221 Times on 1200 Posts
Likes Given: 801

It shouldn't be a problem. Firearms stupidity is pretty well contained in Cook County. Unfortunately, Cook County dictates what goes on in Springfield.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 01-30-2012, 04:34 AM   #8
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7319 Times on 4403 Posts
Likes Given: 8987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliferrum View Post
i dont understand. there is a sh*tload of you people on here from Illinois. Theres some famous guns made in Illinois. yet horrible gun laws are continuously passed in that state. how have you people not revolted yet?
We can't revolt. We're not allowed to have any guns. Just kidding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
It shouldn't be a problem. Firearms stupidity is pretty well contained in Cook County. Unfortunately, Cook County dictates what goes on in Springfield.
Yes, this is the problem. I live in DeKalb County and my guns are very excepted where I live. It's Cook County and Chicago that ruin it for the rest of the state because that's where most of the voting population lives.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #9

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnHiker View Post
I think you posted in another thread I was reading. You posted a pic of Pliura's Poster on his CC/2nd Amendment meeting in Clinton that's coming up. I think I'm just outside his district or would definitely attend.
Yup that was me , the majority of the people in our district are for CCW and for guns ,I will be attending Pliuras meeting . I wish there was an indoor range in Champaign , closest indoor is Bloomington and I dont go there very often.
Commiecago is not one of the places I would ever consider living . What really amazes me is how much of IL tax dollars are spent up there , Go down state and take a look ,roads are in terrible shape, small towns need upgrades to bring people and places of business to them , Tax dollars down there are miniscule compared to upstate. I think they need to subdivide Chicago and Cook county from IL all together , then watch the people move when they dont have the rest of IL tax dollars and provide their own high end tax's. Nice place to visit for a day but thats about it