Own guns, scream about taxes, taxes disappear

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Own guns, scream about taxes, taxes disappear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default Own guns, scream about taxes, taxes disappear

Own guns, scream about taxes, taxes disappear

Wyoming has eliminated sales tax at gun shows, because a few people at gun shows screamed at the tax agents trying to collect it.

From the Casper Tribune:

CHEYENNE — The Wyoming Department of Revenue has suspended sales tax collections from gun shows because of increasing animosity toward the state’s field tax agents.

Dan Noble, director of the department’s excise tax division, said Friday that an incident at a gun show triggered the decision.

He added, however, that resistance from gun show sponsors and participants has been a recurring problem statewide.

“I have 10 field reps throughout the state, and every one of them has experienced some animosity,” he said. “Folks are nervous anyway because there are guns there. I don’t want to put my people at risk.”….

…”We tend to have more trouble at gun shows than any place,”….He said the “climate” has changed and some of the gun show people are “fairly extreme.”…

Anthony Bouchard (executive director of the Wyoming Gun Owners’ Association) said that the position of his group is that the state shouldn’t charge sales tax on gun and ammunition sales because of the Second Amendment right to bear arms.

Identifying himself as a “tea partier and damned proud of it,” Wise said Friday that people are angry at the federal government over health care reform and other actions.

…Noble informed members of the Legislature’s Joint Interim Revenue Committee Thursday of his decision because at some point legislation may be necessary, he said.

Note that no one pulled a gun, it’s just people who own guns getting up in the tax man’s grill.

I think the Founders would be proud. This is LITERALLY the intended and true reason for the Second Amendment.

And while we’re on the subject, check out this Daily Kos article,
Why liberals should love the Second Amendment.
It’s written by a liberal and published in a progressive leftist rag. Despite all that, the article is brilliant. (*but the many idiotic comments will convince you that the writer is one of the few smart ones.)

–Michael W. Dean

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #2

Liked 1917 Times on 1066 Posts
Likes Given: 1269

Interesting. Taxing us on the exercise of our constitutional rights. I had not thought of it that way.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #3

My hats off to the folks of Wyoming. And boo-hoo to the tax collectors. If you want that kind of career be prepared to be disliked.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
SR9

Good job by Wyoming! Not enough of us here in CT to be able to do that.

The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government....Thomas Jefferson.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2872 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Interesting tac. Constitutionally guaranteed right, so they can not tax it... I guess the Federal Excise Tax on firearms should go away. Consider the whole "Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness" part... health care cannot be taxed because life is protected. Cars and gasoline should not be taxed because that would restrict my liberty. Alcohol and strip clubs should be tax free because that is a pursuit of happiness.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #6

Wishfull thinking robocop but your right.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMACK View Post
My hats off to the folks of Wyoming. And boo-hoo to the tax collectors. If you want that kind of career be prepared to be disliked.
Absolutely! When i was a tax auditor for my state and was working an income tax project (suuuuuuuucks), i encountered a VERY disgruntled taxpayer who was NOT at all interested in setting up a payment plan on his tax error (which the IRS had already pegged him for). As i was describing the threats & such of the first phone call on his account's message section in the crusty ole computer, i noticed a message from a previous auditor's encounters with the unhappy taxpayer; it contained a quote from the TP that indicated his strong feeling that the Tax Commission should be blown up "like that federal building in Oklahoma City". I was very glad not to be in the central office for the Commission.

I have never been so glad to quit a job.