Owls , Hawks and other big trouble birds
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Owls , Hawks and other big trouble birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1103 Times on 799 Posts
Likes Given: 569

Default Owls , Hawks and other big trouble birds

I have often wondered where the stuffed owls , hawks , eagles and other protected animals come from if they are .. indeed protected ?

My aunt is sorta a self taught home brew taxidermist and has in the past found dead owls and hawks that were either hit by cars or have moved on from this world . Is it legal to get one stuffed if it died a natural death or hit by a car ?
I would have to assume if there is no bullet wound or the like then what would be the big deal ?

Do taxidermist have the big man breathing down their necks 24/7 also ?

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5740 Times on 2999 Posts
Likes Given: 380

zoos sometimes have dead animals taxidermy and sold in auctions to fund zoo activities or charities. some states have laws forbidding the possession of roadkill or just dead found animals. some dont care.

check with your fish and game people in your state on regulations concerning such.

generally its illegal because they dont want a rash of accidental animal deaths for profit if you know what i mean.

some states sell such animals to reputable taxidermists just depends

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-27-2011, 01:32 AM   #3

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post

Do taxidermist have the big man breathing down their necks 24/7 also ?
EVERYONE has the out-of-control government on their backs these days my friend.

You can't even take a dump in a toilet that isnt federally regulated on some level.
"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Old 11-27-2011, 01:43 AM   #4

Liked 723 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I believe it is a federal law that prohibits even having a feather from a raptor in your possession. Of course there are exceptions for - Native Americans, State agencies, federal agencies, zoos, museums, etc. Also any that are older than the date of the law(1970's I think). I don't believe they actively look for law breakers on this issue but if they happen upon a violator it is to bad for you.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:52 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashnikovJosh View Post

You can't even take a dump in a toilet that isnt federally regulated on some level.
I had the feds checking my TP just last week....

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-27-2011, 03:25 AM   #6

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

A few years ago while we were out hunting my dad found a feather and thought it looked cool so he stuck it in the back of his hat. It was just an owl feather. The game warden just happened to come by to check our licenses. He said he my dad could be arrested on a felony for even having that feather on him.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:07 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Years ago I did quite a bit of taxidermy and had a license in Illinois when I lived there. I mainly did game birds, ducks, pheasants and geese along with deer for friends.
Well, one day I get a phone call from a guy wanting a pheasant mounted. I told him to bring it over and I would take a look at it.
Well, during conversation he tells me he has this hawk he also shot and would I mount it for him as he always wanted a hawk mount.

To make a long story short, I declined telling him it was illegal to possess or mount the hawk.

Well, 2 months later he comes to get the pheasant mount and pays me with a check from the Illinois Department of Conservation Police Dept., for the pheasant and ONLY THEN tells me he is an undercover CPO for Illinois. Needless to say I was really pissed and told him to get out now, and he did. Took the pheasant and left.

By the way, the check did not bounce either, LOL.

Lastcast,Ranger Recon, Class of 67.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:47 AM   #8

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I had the feds checking my TP just last week....
Was it in line with the latest presidential directive? -

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%