Our states break up gun laws....
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Our states break up gun laws....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Our states break up gun laws....

So I am new to these gun forums, and was wondering. In the US, we fight gun laws state by state, each state with its own set of laws, which I always thought silly....as in why not have a set of laws for the entire country. So I wonder if other countries do the same thing? In other words, do Canadian laws vary by province? Are we unique in this or is it more common than I think in other countries, particularly European countries?

Always seemed to me that we should just have a US drivers license, why need one for each state? One license, for life, just change the address on it when/if you move. Was it always like this from the first licenses given out?

Did someone decide oh sure, you can drive that model T in that state, but not here, here it's illegal and you go to jail. The whole idea of something being completely legal in one state, that would get you put in prison in another state, seems ludicrous. Is it just me here?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #2

Oh, and I almost forgot. Does it seem too far fetched to think that two or three neighboring states should just combine law/licenses/etc? Then what if another neighboring state were to say, yea, that's a good idea, we'll join you, and so on and so on? Pros and cons here? Thoughts?

Old 05-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

I am happy with Kentucky and their gun laws. Very pro-2A state. If I lived in NY, I would have moved by now. The states have the right to govern themselves. I do not want universal gun laws across the whole country.
People Like This 
Old 05-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #4

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

It's the tenth amendment to the constitution.

Personally, I think the second is pretty well clear. But the tenth grants states the right to make some of their own laws.

The deal is, the second enumerates the right to defense. And "driving" has been ruled a right unless engaged in commercial driving, yet no one cares.

There are so many facets to your train of thought here, that there is no right or wrong response to your post.
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 05-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #5

Not looking for right or wrong, just curious to everyone's thoughts on it, and how other countries are in relation.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #6

Liked 2512 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 577

My thoughts are that by breaking it up and keeping some of those 10th ammendment powers keeps the federal government from gaining too much power to just make a blanket law that screws everyone nation wide. This allows for states of sheep to get real restrictive, and still not affect the residents of another state who what to retain responsibility and freedom to make their own choices instead of being nannied.

As far as neighboring states having one permit goes there is a system of "reciprocity" in place where states may elect to honor the permit of another state. If you google "concealed carry reciprocity", you will get a better explaination than what I would put down in this post.
Garadex Likes This 
Old 05-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #7

Liked 221 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I would be thinking that it is more likely for DC to make highly restrictive gun laws than the state I live in. And it is easier to challenge state laws and get them changed than it is for the federal laws. State lawmakers have better hearing than Congress members.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #8

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Did you miss your 6th grade American History class. We are a nation made up of separate and individual governments that allow the Federal system to exist.
The Founding Fathers realized the concept of Kingdoms only led to Servitude. They even went so far as to add the Bill Of Rights which identified and forbid Federal over reach.
If you fail to understand the rights of citizens in relation to a an all powerful central government reread American History 1776 to present.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #9

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueocean View Post
So I am new to these gun forums, and was wondering. In the US, we fight gun laws state by state, each state with its own set of laws, which I always thought silly....as in why not have a set of laws for the entire country. So I wonder if other countries do the same thing? In other words, do Canadian laws vary by province? Are we unique in this or is it more common than I think in other countries, particularly European countries?

Always seemed to me that we should just have a US drivers license, why need one for each state? One license, for life, just change the address on it when/if you move. Was it always like this from the first licenses given out?

Did someone decide oh sure, you can drive that model T in that state, but not here, here it's illegal and you go to jail. The whole idea of something being completely legal in one state, that would get you put in prison in another state, seems ludicrous. Is it just me here?
If we allowed for national gun laws we'd have more like the should be illegal National Firearms act of 1934 or 1968.

I's best we keep the states doing the bulk of the gun laws. At least that way you have the choice to escape over reaching gun laws. So Cali shooters and come to Ky where the gun laws are great and so is the view

Old 05-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just joined this forum today after googling a couple of things and finding some interesting information on firearms talk.

I am a Brit, who has lived in Canada for over 30 years. In Canada, we have federal regulations for firearms. Until a couple of years ago, we had a long gun registry... The conservative party pledged to abolish it, as it had been absolutely useless and cost billions of dollars - literally!!. They did finally have the ability to eliminate the registry when they achieved a large majority in their second term. Handguns are a different story, they must still be registered and the transportation is strictly controlled, with recreational shooting and a club membership a pre-requisite. We have to take a firearms course to obtain any licence, and there are two types, non-restricted, and restricted (which includes handguns). There are background checks to obtain a possession and acquisition licence. We also have a course for hunting licences which is separate. Provinces differ on their view of firearms, depending on the political stripe of those in local power, some make it easy for recreational shooters ( i.e. BC) with others being far more obstructionist wherever possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueocean View Post