Our Older Loved Ones & Parents - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Our Older Loved Ones & Parents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 04:32 AM   #11
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7115 Times on 4283 Posts
Likes Given: 8632

Sniper, I have some experience in this situation. My Mother died November 23, 1994 after a long illness. My Dad was able to take care of her at home but she spent a LOT of time in long term care facilities. Actually, going between a hospital and a long term care facility. We had to play the "medicare" game where she'd have to be home for 24 hours then get re-admitted for medicare to continue to pay. The last few months of her illness, us kids would take turns spending nights with her at the hospital as she'd wake up confused and scared. My Dad needed to sleep and he was with her from 0700 until 2000. I had small children at home and a marriage that was falling apart. The stress was UNBELIEVABLE.

My Dad lived alone until he had a stroke in 2005. My brother, sister and I debated about what to do. We contacted the county elderly care services and we eventually got a live in caregiver. My Dad has steadily declined since his stroke but he is still at home under the care of a most wonderful lady who lives there full time. She is good, honest, kind, caring, compassionate and is as much a part of my family now as my siblings. She eventually quit the agency she worked for and is now simply my Dad's employee.

Please DO look into some home care. It's not as expensive as one might think and different arrangements can be worked out such as room, board and some spending money in exchange for care. We were VERY LUCKY to find a good, Christian, honest as the day is long woman.

Consider all the possibilities before you make a final decision.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 871 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 193

We are just coming of age

MIL is exhibiting rapidly advancing dementia. FIL is finding it increasingly difficult to more around. Mom still pretty strong, but age is catching up with her. My fear, we're doing to be dealing with all three at about the same time.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #13

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Sniper, my condolences for you and your family. Our family is going through a similar situation with our father and it is not something I would wish on anyone.

Keep your head up and do the best you can, enjoy whatever moments you have and don't sweat the small stuff.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD