Ors 166.291 law
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Ors 166.291 law

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2015, 08:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ors 166.291 law

I kept hearing I needed to take a concealed classes to get my license which would have cost me at least $80. I found out by reading the law I am exempt as a veteran to have to take a course because of my military service (In section E). But everyone in my area says my local Sheriff doesn't allow this and MAKES people take the NRA or Sheriffs class.

IS HE BRAKING STATE LAW?!?

Issuance of concealed handgun license

ORS 166.291

(f) Demonstrates competence with a handgun by any one of the following:

(A) Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(B) Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(C) Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(D) Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(E) Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

(F) Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or

(G) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course;

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3479 Times on 1995 Posts
Likes Given: 1529

Ask for clarification, don't go with confrontation.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
rn-cindy Likes This 
Old 06-08-2015, 01:01 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10782 Times on 4665 Posts
Likes Given: 1760

Quote:
But everyone in my area says
You need to find out if EVERYONE includes the Sheriff.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8022 Times on 4386 Posts
Likes Given: 7763

Many people retire from military service after 30 years and never touched a handgun.

Most combat veterans were never issued, or trained on a handgun. All troopers have rifle training. Damn few have handgun training.

Or at least they did before political correctness

Old 06-08-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 488 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 1165

Spend the $80

Old 06-08-2015, 03:26 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 810 Times on 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Spend the $80

Second that. To much trouble to not do it.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:10 PM   #7

Liked 221 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 88

If the class is anything like the ones around here, it will include a lot on state laws regarding the use of firearms. That is useful knowledge that can keep you out of trouble. Well worth it.
c3shooter Likes This 
Old 06-08-2015, 10:01 PM   #8

Liked 2158 Times on 1182 Posts
Likes Given: 1394

I handgun class is always a good investment. I am an army vet. But I have been out too long to be exempt in Colorado. I went into the class thinking they had nothing to teach me. I was wrong. It was a great class. I really enjoyed it. I am now a safety officer with the IDPA club for the same company that taught the class. I have met a bunch or really great people through the club. No matter how good you are, you can get something out of a good class.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
People Like This 
Old 06-09-2015, 05:32 PM   #9

I appreciate all the advice but no one has answered my question...

If he refuses to except my military service as an acceptable document is he breaking the law?

Old 06-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8022 Times on 4386 Posts
Likes Given: 7763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1776 View Post
I appreciate all the advice but no one has answered my question...

If he refuses to except my military service as an acceptable document is he breaking the law?
Hire a lawyer and ask him.

Or at least they did before political correctness
People Like This 

Newest Threads