Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Origins of the Gun Control Act of 1968(Warning:LONG)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashnikovJosh View Post
I appreciate that you read it.

I dont know what a 'crib note' is,but if we were to make it short and sweet-

I would say that the most important part of the whole thing is the fact that there is a proven link between the author of the Gun Control Act of 1968 and the Wiemar Republic gun control laws that were abused by Nazi Germany to disenfranchise their subjects -and their millions of victims- of arms,and the glaring similarities between the two sets of laws-these show the GCA68 to be a grave threat to liberty and possibly even innocent life.
Throughout history before genocide has occurred the intended victims have been disarmed first. History repeats itself and those who do not study history and learn from it will repeat it (and suffer).

The gun control advocates (and their media pundits) claim that "reasonable" gun control laws are necessary to reduce violent crime. There may be some gun control advocates who have good intentions who actually believe that guns cause violent crime and genuinely think they're trying to make society "safer" by trying to reduce the number of guns. As Dr. John Lott's research proved, relaxed gun laws reduces violent crime while restrictive gun laws increase it. The definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over again and expecting a different result.

Education, I believe is the key. The more people (especially young people) we, as gun owners and freedom loving individuals can educate the better off we'll be. In my experience, kids who're taught firearms safety; that they are to be used safely and responsibly (and allowed to do so). Educate them about the dangers of gun control and the myths about gun ownership. It's doubtful that they'll be drinking the anti-gun crowd's kool-aid when they get older.

I applaud the work being done by Dr. John Piazza at the Front Sight Training Institute, the Appleseed Project, Second Amendment Foundation and others. We didn't get here overnight and we won't get back overnight either.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #22

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Bump,for relevance to current discussions.

Quote:
Strangely, the NRA found his measures interesting and even helped to draft the bill he was working on - which the NRA neglected to mention to their membership. Instead they told members they testified against the bill which kept it from coming out of committee. During this time and quite to the contrary of its leadership, the NRA magazine, The American Rifleman, ran 30 articles in 1964 against gun control, but never revealed they had been for the bill. Schizophrenic behavior, to say the least.
"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Old 09-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1974 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 2937

Quote:
Firearms deemed to have no legitimate sporting use were not allowed to be imported as a result of GCA68. Of course, the class of non-sporting-use firearms we are referring to are semi-automatic rifles such as the AK-47, Uzi, FAL, FNC, H&K-91, etc.

The GCA 1968 did not ban any semi-auto rifles. No long guns were banned from importation under the "sporting purposes" clause until 1984. In 1984 a South African made riot control shotgun was banned from importation into the US. This was the first time the "sporting purposes" test was applied to a long gun. In 1986 another riot control shotgun was banned from import. In 1989 over 40 semi-auto milsurps were banned from import under the "sporting purposes" clause.

The GCA 1968 is a travesty brought to you by anti-gun liberals. But it does not end there. With the Reagan administration and Bush I banning the importation of guns by executive fiat who needs a liberal anti-gunner?

Last edited by alsaqr; 09-30-2011 at 09:07 PM.
CzarChasm Likes This 
Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bet the 68 GCA passed because of the deaths of the kenady bros and lesser MLK and X.When are DEMOCRATES gonna grow up and stop blaming guns for murders? they should look at the one who pulls the trigger.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
The GCA 1968 did not ban any semi-auto rifles. No long guns were banned from importation under the "sporting purposes" clause until 1984. In 1984 a South African made riot control shotgun was banned from importation into the US. This was the first time the "sporting purposes" test was applied to a long gun. In 1986 another riot control shotgun was banned from import. In 1989 over 40 semi-auto milsurps were banned from import under the "sporting purposes" clause.

The GCA 1968 is a travesty brought to you by anti-gun liberals. But it does not end there. With the Reagan administration and Bush I banning the importation of guns by executive fiat who needs a liberal anti-gunner?
Indeed.
I post this in lots of different places on the web,and supposedly pro-gun conservatives often defend the GCA 68.
They talk of "civil death" and how because government can "take" rights like voting away,then it can also "take" other rights as well.....never mind that inalienable rights that come to people from their humanity are as much a part of a person as their souls,and come from the same place- and as government certainly can't take your soul,they certainly can't take these rights.
Sure,government can prevent you from excersizing them,by either following a fair judicial procedure (our founders called it due process) and upon finding of guilt,putting you somewhere (prison or the looney bin) or in some condition (like by putting you to death) where your rights cannot be acted upon,but they cant "take" what they have no part in creating.
Or it can violate them,as it does with "laws" like the GCA68.

But they can't "take" inalienable rights.Period.

"The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Rights come from GOD not the state. You have rights antecedent to any earthly governments rights that can not be repealed or restrained by human laws. Rights derived from the great legislator: God."
-John Adams

"The whole of that Bill [of Rights] is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals...[I]t establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of."
-Albert Gallatin to Alexander Addison, Oct 7, 1789, MS. in N.Y. Hist. Soc.-A.G. Papers, 2.

"It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it."
-George Washington

GCA 68,when enacted,could be looked at sort of as an "empty scaffolding" which could be "filled out" by amending it to include further restrictions,bans,"prohibited possessors" classes,etc.

One has to remember,that the laws banning Jews in Nazi Germany from owning any sort of weapon weren't included in the original texts of Wiemar "gun control" laws-
But they were very easily added and because the framework already existed for such "gun control",Hitlers' new laws were very easily enforced.

As recently as 2009,Frank Lautenburg even tried to expand the "prohibited possessors" laws to include people who's names were on secret watch lists kept by the Department of "Justice".
Called the "Denying weapons and explosives to dangerous terrorists act" or some such nonsense,it died in committee.(To give credit where its due,NRA stood against this "law".So why doesn't NRA recognize the root of the problem and act against GCA68?)
But the concept is still the same,and the blatant threat is there- these slimy politicians want to violate inalienable rights based on SECRET LISTS.

GCA68 isnt just a threat because of its current wording and regulation,which to some -or sadly to most- people seems quite "reasonable"; its a threat because it can be expanded to target any group,any time,by any administration.
And just as Hitler used his rendition of this despicable "law",some administration wanting to declare martial law and suspend elections- a remote possibility,but a possibility nonetheless- could use this to disarm any group from political opponents to targets of any sort of agenda it pleases.

Like a metastasizing cancer of the anus- GCA 68 is a very dangerous,very real threat to Liberty.

No government claiming to be for the people,of the people should enact and enforce any "law" coming from a regime as brutal and evil as Nazi Germany.

Its time to cut this deadly-to-freedom cancer out at the roots.
"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

III%

Last edited by KalashnikovJosh; 09-30-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:59 AM   #26

Bump because of all the recent demands for more "gun control".

-Mahatma Gandhi

III%
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 08-05-2012, 03:59 AM   #27

Also,watch this video:

-Mahatma Gandhi

III%

Last edited by KalashnikovJosh; 08-05-2012 at 04:03 AM.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1974 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 2937

Thanks, Josh.

While stationed in southern Maryland, i became interested in pro-gun matters in the runup to the GCA 1968. Two overseas tours intervened but i tried to stay informed; after a stay in Walter Reed AH i was again stationed in southern MD. The GCA 1968 could have been much worse for us had MD US senator Joseph Tydings had his way. Tydings wanted federal registration of all guns.

On primary election day in 1970 i transported voters to the polls in my 1966 Plymouth 426 Hemi. Tydings was defeated in the primary by Paul Sarbanes.

The GCA 1968 set the stage for onerous gun control legislation to the present time. Three US administrations in a row enacted gun control based on the "sporting purposes" clause of the GCA 1968.

BTW: US Rep. Big Daddy Bush was the only Republican member of the TX delegation to vote for the GCA 1968.

Last edited by alsaqr; 08-05-2012 at 12:07 PM.
People Like This 
Old 08-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #29
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Thanks KJ for posting and thanks to lbj (the member here, not the president) who wrote the original piece. I've copied it all to a Word document for easy access.

One thing that stood out re-reading this was Dodd's original motivation for pushing gun control laws. It had nothing to do with tyrannical desires; it was a favor to gun manufacturers in his home state who couldn't compete with less-expensive imports. If the allegation is true, and it sure seems plausible, these companies wanted to increase profit at the expense of liberty and Dodd wanted to ensure his re-election at the expense of liberty.

Today, we hear of that idiot dealer in Katy, TX who supports banning online sales of ammo in order to increase his profit.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #30
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19961 Times on 11347 Posts
Likes Given: 50323

the parallels between the GCA of 1968 and those Hitler put into place in the 1930's are definately similar. much of our own gun control laws we have now could have been taken word for word from Hitlers own documents. that's scary. and Hitler was raving lunatic and we have gun control laws based on the documents of this madman? does this make any sense at all?

Hitler was trying to exclude the Jews from legal gun ownership and the GCA of 1968 was trying to exclude as many black Americans from legal gun ownership. now in present time, gun control laws are about control of all gun owners, period.

KJ, this is one very well written article and one that needs to be read by all gun owners. it is IMO a direct attack on the 2nd admendment, just as any gun control laws, restriction or bans, on any type of firearm. personally i would be happy for this article to become a sticky and to be posted at the beginning of this section. it is that good of an article and needs to be read and understood by anyone who thinks that the 2nd admendment isn't important a document that needs to be defended and preserved.

People Like This