opinions on businesses that prohibit ONLY open carry
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

opinions on businesses that prohibit ONLY open carry

View Poll Results: would you boycott a business that prohibits open carry, yet allows concealed carry?
YES! i would boycott a business that prohibits ONLY open carry 6 19.35%
NO! i would not boycott a business that prohibits ONLY open carry 25 80.65%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2016, 10:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3425 Times on 2042 Posts
Likes Given: 2607

Default opinions on businesses that prohibit ONLY open carry

ok....so now we have open carry in texas.

when it comes to a business's right to prohibit concealed or open carry....i am in support of their right to do so.....whether i agree or not.

now...in texas, a business may prohibit either concealed OR open carry...or both.

so...here is where i would seek the polite opinions of the posters here. the question is: do you feel prohibiting ONLY open carry is a stance worth boycotting a business?

i may be in the minority here....but i would not boycott a bussiness as long as they allow concealed carry. the reason? for me, its not political....its practical. if a business still permits concealed carry then i have the god given right to protect my family intact. therefore, i will not boycott businesses that ONLY prohibit open carry. if a business prohibits both, i think i would definitely boycott them, and tell them why.

this is just my opinion, feel free to disagree of course. i am curious about the general attitude of the board on this topic.

thanks for your input.

Last edited by hawkguy; 01-09-2016 at 10:38 PM. Reason: typos
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2016, 11:44 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3867 Posts
Likes Given: 2998

I am used to not boycotting places that take exception to my lifestyle. Or I'd have to boycott every bar in this state
People Like This 
Old 01-10-2016, 12:01 AM   #3

Liked 264 Times on 137 Posts

boycott is a leftist passive response to whatever gets their panties in a knot this week. never play the other mans game.
trigger643 Likes This 
Old 01-10-2016, 12:13 AM   #4

Liked 3268 Times on 1944 Posts
Likes Given: 829

Forgive my ignorance of this portion of the Texas law. Is open carry allowed without a permit?

In Washinton, open carry is allowed without a permit but concealed carry requires one. So, here banning open carry does infringe on the rights of those who cannot affoard, or do not wish to go through the process for whatever reasons.

If the requirements for either form of carry are the same then I don't have a problem with asking people to shift the method without denying them the means to defend themselves.
People Like This 
Old 01-10-2016, 12:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by microadventure View Post
boycott is a leftist passive response to whatever gets their panties in a knot this week. never play the other mans game.
americans have been boycotting as a form of civil disobedience against the perceiveably unjust since before they were officially americans....corrrect? boycott is as american as apple pie imo.....maybe more so.

but speaking only for myself....it takes a helluva a lot for me to permanently boycott a business....they have to REALLY tick me off. a difference of opinion is definitely not enough to merit a boycott. interfering with my right to protect my family....that might do it.
People Like This 
Old 01-10-2016, 12:26 AM   #6

no worries, almost impossible imo....to retain info on all the guns laws of every state without quite a bit of research on the matter.

a concealed permit is required in texas for concealed OR open carry. businesses can post signs that specifically prohibit either individually....or both.

many businesses, once the open carry passed.....have posted signs prohibiting open carry, yet still allowing concealed carry.

i personally agree with your statement in bold below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Forgive my ignorance of this portion of the Texas law. Is open carry allowed without a permit?

In Washinton, open carry is allowed without a permit but concealed carry requires one. So, here banning open carry does infringe on the rights of those who cannot affoard, or do not wish to go through the process for whatever reasons.

If the requirements for either form of carry are the same then I don't have a problem with asking people to shift the method without denying them the means to defend themselves.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:05 AM   #7

Liked 1019 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 1167

yes, i would boycott them. in Texas a permit is still required to open carry, which means that person has met the qualifications that they aren't a criminal.

do i agree with it? nope. but i do think the business has the right to restrict or ban whatever they feel is appropriate to their establishment. in this case the property owners rights trump the gun carriers right to carry.

i also don't agree with it because i feel it infringes upon the method a person desires to use to carry. in my opinion, nothing in the Second Amendment specifies about how we bear arms.

but i also don't see making huge fuss over the issue. all a person has to is if they disagree, is to do business elsewhere.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:02 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2811 Times on 1559 Posts
Likes Given: 1458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas53 View Post
yes, i would boycott them. in Texas a permit is still required to open carry, which means that person has met the qualifications that they aren't a criminal.

do i agree with it? nope. but i do think the business has the right to restrict or ban whatever they feel is appropriate to their establishment. in this case the property owners rights trump the gun carriers right to carry.

i also don't agree with it because i feel it infringes upon the method a person desires to use to carry. in my opinion, nothing in the Second Amendment specifies about how we bear arms.

but i also don't see making huge fuss over the issue. all a person has to is if they disagree, is to do business elsewhere.

Problem is, in Texas, you do NOT have a Right to carry a handgun, not Open or Concealed.

You are given permission to carry by following a strict set of rules, guidelines and paying a $fee$.

In other words, handgun "carry" in Texas is a privilege bought and paid for, not a "right".

Me, I don't violate No-Guns signs whether they carry the force of law or not.

Will I boycott a business that post a No -Open Carry sign, but allows Concealed carry, I actually do not know. I guess it would depend on the business and whether I thought they were Liberal trash or they were just trying to keep everybody as comfortable/happy as they can.

I would have to look at each business and situation independently.

http://www.goal.org/newspages/romney.html

Last edited by mseric; 01-10-2016 at 05:09 AM.
People Like This 
Old 01-10-2016, 05:19 AM   #9

Liked 1112 Times on 734 Posts

I think you are doing the business owner a huge favor if you avoid their establishment due to a disagreement. How else are they to know they are not serving their customer base? You don't have to go on TV or the web and brag about it. Just don't give them your money. If we all do that when and where we please, the world will be a more gun friendly place. My passions are currently avoiding Chipotle and all movie theaters. "F" them. They don't want my business. Ok. I am out. But I don' t tweet, brag or advertise my beliefs. I just do my thing.
People Like This 
Old 01-10-2016, 06:25 AM   #10

Liked 1019 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 1167

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
Problem is, in Texas, you do NOT have a Right to carry a handgun, not Open or Concealed.

You are given permission to carry by following a strict set of rules, guidelines and paying a $fee$.

In other words, handgun "carry" in Texas is a privilege bought and paid for, not a "right".

Me, I don't violate No-Guns signs whether they carry the force of law or not.

Will I boycott a business that post a No -Open Carry sign, but allows Concealed carry, I actually do not know. I guess it would depend on the business and whether I thought they were Liberal trash or they were just trying to keep everybody as comfortable/happy as they can.

I would have to look at each business and situation independently.
in a sense, i do agree with you. yes, having to pay for a permit is in a way paying for privilege, rather than exercising a right.

but the alternative could be like some states with restrictive gun laws, that are "may issue" states and make it very hard for the average law abiding citizen to get a carry permit. Texas is a "shall issue" state, and though not perfect, it's still much better than some have in regards to their gun rights.
People Like This