Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Opinion - Time for the NRA to change tactics (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/opinion-time-nra-change-tactics-84111/)

CrazedJava 02-13-2013 02:39 PM

Opinion - Time for the NRA to change tactics

After watching the President's remarks on gun control last night, it's clear that the traditional way of fighting this battle is inefficient and often ineffective. Looking at polls and the reactions to that portion of the President's speech, it is clear that an "overwhelming majority of Americans support action" is a fabrication. A convenient cherry picking of facts. I too would like to see laws around guns change, but I support none of the proposals that the President is making.

So while we may be winning the war, the battles are costly. The NRA needs to update their approach. We know the tactics of gun grabbers. They are well document and have been observed time after time. Fighting these battles outside of the public eye means every fight is uphill. If they were more effective, this discussion would have been over a month ago. Instead, gun owners and the NRA are continuing to expend time and resources and the enemy knows we do not have an unlimited amount of either. In a war of attrition, we stand a chance of losing.

The NRA, maybe gun owners in general, need to start adopting the tactics of the anti-gunners. We need to get women and minorities in front of the camera instead of the standard "Old White Guys". I honestly cannot tell the difference between the standard NRA spokesperson and a US politician. That is a very bad thing. We need to start making the emotional appeals. "Gun save lives!" or "Without my gun I would be dead". The more dramatic the better. We see these stories in social media but the NRA does not seem to take up the flag. Also, we need to break out the race card and call out gun control policies as discriminatory against minorities and the poor. Pro-gun folks know this but the public at large does not. That message needs to get out there. Unlike the "NRA is racist" or "Gun owners are afraid of blacks" memes, at least this one is true.

Also, why not hammer home the problems in Chicago? I could not believe the President would use the slaying of a teenager in Chicago as part of his gun control platform. Chicago already has many of the policies he supports, and yet it leads the nation in murder. I think on some level many are aware of this, but it needs to get out in the popular culture. "We don't need Chicago-style gun control" would not be a bad theme to run for awhile.

We're fighting a movement driven by emotion with logic and reason. Well, logic and reason are on our side, but if we refuse to engage the enemy on their battlefield and they refuse to engage us on ours, then we have to take the fight to them. We just need to inject that logic and reason into our emotional appeals.

If we maintain, rightfully so, that gun owners are not just a bunch of OFWG's, then we need to get some fresh faces out there. I am finding this constant uphill battle exhausting.

jjfuller1 02-13-2013 03:09 PM

i like this idea alot. i also think that the NRA should ask, push all the main news media to give as much air time to good guys with guns as they do the bad guys but i dont see that happening. however if somehow we could make it a public challenge to them we may see a difference.. i dont know, just what rolls around my noggin.

CrazedJava 02-13-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1 (Post 1135808)
i like this idea alot. i also think that the NRA should ask, push all the main news media to give as much air time to good guys with guns as they do the bad guys but i dont see that happening. however if somehow we could make it a public challenge to them we may see a difference.. i dont know, just what rolls around my noggin.

Unfortunately, this is unlikely as many of the major outlets are openly hostile to the NRA. However, I do not understand why they don't have a major ally in Fox News.

chloeshooter 02-13-2013 09:07 PM

Agreed the NRA is not connecting with as many Americans as we could be. The gun grabbers ALWAYS use emotion, and its hard to overcome the visual of dead kindergarteners with logic and reason.

I know it's treasonous to many on here to suggest that the NRA work with the same folks who want to limit our freedoms. IMHO there was nothing to be gained by saying no to universal background checks. I know the reasoning so know one needs go enlighten me. I don't agree with it.

BigByrd47119 02-13-2013 09:49 PM

Im to the point of not caring anymore. If they want them, they can come take them. Goes for the feds and the anti groups. Im tired of debate, and you know what they say about a man too tired to fight...

God knows I dont want it to come to that, but there it is
We never win on any issue. The people WANT to be subjects, they reject the very primal requirment for freedom, RESPONSIBILITY!!!

WNGMSTR 02-13-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazedJava (Post 1136024)
However, I do not understand why they don't have a major ally in Fox News.

Fox News is there just to perpetuate the facade of left-right, republican-democrat. They are not a voice of Conservative values.

Roger Ailes has openly lobbied for gun control.

It is up to "We the People".

JTJ 02-13-2013 10:25 PM

A vendor posted T Shirts on the forum and I suggested one that says "A firearm saved my life". They are very receptive to suggestions along this line. I believe it has to be done low key so they have to read the message without a gun looking back at them. "Firearms Save Lives" as posted above would be another good one. Get enough positive T Shirts out there and people will have to notice. A shirt that says "Gun Control Is Racist" also suggested above would be interesting.

superdecals 02-13-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 1136203)
A vendor posted T Shirts on the forum and I suggested one that says "A firearm saved my life". They are very receptive to suggestions along this line. I believe it has to be done low key so they have to read the message without a gun looking back at them. "Firearms Save Lives" as posted above would be another good one. Get enough positive T Shirts out there and people will have to notice. A shirt that says "Gun Control Is Racist" also suggested above would be interesting.

We take all suggestions very seriously. I am very open to ideas, as we will be putting many shirts into production in the next month or two. Those shirts that will be put into production are based on what users want, so I would love to hear the opinions of those users.

John_Deer 02-13-2013 10:38 PM

JPFO has said that gun laws are racist in an attempt to pick up black members who don't support the NRA but value their second amendment rights.

BigByrd47119 02-13-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1136230)
JPFO has said that gun laws are racist in an attempt to pick up black members who don't support the NRA but value their second amendment rights.

Well...they do, IF you, like many others here, believe firearms are for personal protection. African Americans identify firearms with self defence over every other group in America.

Last I heard it was something like 60+% of African American gun owners said they owned firearms for self defence. Makes sense when African Americans make up the majority of the populations in areas with the most violence.