opinion on machine gun ban? - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > opinion on machine gun ban?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #81
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Webley, very well said! to blame an object for the actions of it's user is idiotic and stupid, and well just liberal thinking. an inanimate object like a gun has no emotion, no soul, no hidden agenda, but is at the mercy of the user and their intended purpose for that object. the person is the one to be either punished or praised for their use of the object. good or evil, the person makes a decision in how the object is used.

doesn't matter whether the object is a gun, a car, a power tool or whatever, as it can't think for itself. even though it can't think for itself, we still need to respect it's power and the damage it can do when used improperly.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Great thread! cept for the bit of nastiness over whatshisface. Name calling aside, I actually enjoy different points of view. It keeps my own convictions challenged and fresh. That said, I think FA arms are stupid. There's a reason 3 round burst was invented. I'm more irritated that I cant have that! Just an opinion. Unfortunately, just like every other stupid restriction in this country a freedom was abused and that abuse was taken advantage of. Liberty stripped. Just like every other liberty that we lose, it takes forever to get it back it if happens at all. I'm not saying that FA restriction is a non-issue. Its just not one I'm concerned with at the moment. The CCW bills getting to a senate vote is more important to me now.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #83

Default sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
I think I'd be pretty OK with that. I'd be telling myself

that the target was the reason every insect in creation was

using my aching , itching, sweltering butt for a smorgasbord,

while I couldn't even swat or scratch...

I think that all of you guys on the forum would like this. I have recently written and published a book of poetry. One poem, titled "The Sniper" was inspired by my son who was a sniper in Afghanistan. Of course he wouldn't give me any details about what he did other than to say that he had attended sniper school. Being that I own the copy right to the poem, I give myself and this forum permission to reproduce it here. It is from the book "O'Sullivan's Place, the Poerty of Joe Robert," and is available on Amazon. Hope you like it.

The Sniper

He crawls through ferns and thick green grass
Toward the enemy he has found at last
With all his stealth he has learned through drills
His orders are to record his kills.

He continues on and ignores the pain
Of thorn ridden stems in his new domain.
He finally reaches his vantage point
With a single bullet he hopes to anoint

The enemy he is drawing closer to
His brassy shine cartridge looks as new.
He closes the bolt on his .308
He must time his shot and not be late.

His job is done now he must retreat
He finds no glory in his accomplished feat.
The sniper finished his mission as he was ordered to
Yet feeling remorse as he was want to do

Cannot be tolerated in this time of war
And this whole situation seems so bizarre
Yet this sniper has to take it all in stride
And the result is freedom in which we all abide.

cottontop

People Like This 
Old 06-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #84
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8167 Times on 4211 Posts
Likes Given: 9379

God Bless your sons service CT, I like the poem, especially the truth about the few providing freedom for the masses. People forget too quickly that Freedom is something that must be paid for daily otherwise it fades.

As for Machine guns, technology is moving so fast that the age old "ban it as we find it" cannot keep up with the advances. They ban a new type of gun and junior mixes up a few harmless chems in the bathtub and has a Chemical weapon! A tech geek like me might be the inventor of a ray gun! None of these are dangerous unless the intent is to do bad things to innocent people.

I guess its easier for Republi-Crats to step up to the plate against items because they fear doing it with people may cost them votes. Besides, have you ever heard an Item defend itself? Nope, they remain silent without an owner! Even Gun owners and Pseudo 2nd supporters disagree when asked to take a stand, many stating an obvious disclaimer, "I dont need one, nobody else does either, they serve no useful purpose, etc, etc..." The list goes on and on and these are supporters of some of the second!

The second amendment does not parse these rights nor restrict them for good reason, its not about what types of guns are good, its all about An American Citizens Right to own, carry and use Guns for legal activities. Self defense is a legal activity even if defending yourself from a rouge Government and that was the basis for ensuring the right was not restricted to approved people only.

I dont own a MG and have no wish to own one but fired countless ones in the military, they do have a purpose or they wouldnt be made, why a civilian would want to own one is beyond me but not grounds to dismiss a constitutional right. Few rights in our nation are not ubiquitous, "the gov can but we cant", the 2nd is no different, it is the right of every law abiding citizen to own anything the police can own.

Cottontops Boy is a Sniper, give him a single shot 30/06 and a little cover and concealment and you will find nothing but dead people scattered around if thats his intent. Should we limit his non military rights due to a possibility of him going postal?

We prosecute actions not thoughts in this nation not eliminate choices and possibilities based upon the actions of a relatively few individuals with psycosis!
People Like This 
Old 06-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #85

Liked 194 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 316

Thought this was valid to the thread...

Old 06-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #86

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy
Thought this was valid to the thread...
So....what are you saying?

Old 06-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #87

Liked 194 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
So....what are you saying?
Pretty self-explanatory.....as bad things happened over time, people became afraid of guns...

this just shows that back then, even with full-autos available, nothing like what happens today went on back then...and that the guns have nothing to do with it...it's the people.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #88

Liked 1960 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Just an FYI...the first school shooting in America didn't take place until 1974 IIRC, just 6 years AFTER the 1968 GCA, which was authored in part by none other than adolf hitler...

Old 06-14-2012, 11:45 PM   #89
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy View Post
Pretty self-explanatory.....as bad things happened over time, people became afraid of guns...

this just shows that back then, even with full-autos available, nothing like what happens today went on back then...and that the guns have nothing to do with it...it's the people.
i see what you are trying to say and agree with you. peoples moral compass' are screwwed up and the liberals want to blame the gun for the problem, not the person. until people start acting right and respect others, than these things will happen.

i can remember back in high school that students and even some teachers having a rifle or shotgun in the gunrack of their trucks. never once do i remember ever hearing about guns being dangerous or evil. most when i was groing up, were considered more of a tool than anything.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #90

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy

I agree with that. I thought maybe you were going to equate the availability of that gun with school shootings.

Shoulda known better.