Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > open carry! what states is it legal? and who does it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 564 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 3221

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
People who have a CWP/CCW/CCL have it for a reason...to conceal. Why would anyone go to the trouble of getting a permit in the first place if OC is their method of carry??? In NC, no permit of any kind is needed to OC, just for handgun purchase.

As far as OC being a deterrent...that's waaaay to subjective to make any accurate assessment. I've never seen any data on the number of crimes OC'ers have prevented by their presence, if you've found something reliable, please link us up...
Don't think that data is available anywhere. Unless God comes down and says, "hey, you just prevented a crime", there really is no way to know that just seeing a gun on someone deterred a bg, which means there's no way to report it, which means no available data.... unless the bg turns himself in for being about to rob or kill or rape someone....

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Last edited by Mason609; 05-17-2012 at 06:43 AM. Reason: speling

Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Its legal most places here in missouri. I mostly cc but do oc on occasion. Mostly depending on where I'm going, what I'm wearing, and how I feel that day. I've never had a bad experience with oc but do feel weird when I do it. I cc 99% of the time

Old 05-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #33
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2221 Times on 1112 Posts
Likes Given: 1140

I am not fond of open carry! A deterrent of crime ??? But also makes you the first target on the list "without you knowing it"! A hardened criminal who is getting ready to commit a serious crime would recognize the fact that you are armed. And it would be very easy for him to target you as a main threat in the area and engage you before you were even aware of the situation. I prefer the element of surprise. And concealed carry also gains the advantage of the correct time and positioning prior to the confrontation. Taking into consideration other innocent people in the area who might be present, your field of fire, as well as cover and or concealment available should the situation arise. This would provide the time without the suspect pre targeting us. Giving us the slight advantage. Hunting is another issue! Why Not!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 05-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #34

Liked 2351 Times on 1529 Posts

Well said sniper. Though I do believe in the right to oc.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 05-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #35

Liked 2225 Times on 1003 Posts
Likes Given: 2157

There is another way to look at oc. I bet I can get a gun into action quicker if I'm OC'ing than if I have to go digging through clothing to get to it. Also if you CC in hot weather you are pretty much forced to carry a less than ideal SD weapon. Just something else to think about.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #36

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
I am not fond of open carry! A deterrent of crime ??? But also makes you the first target on the list "without you knowing it"! A hardened criminal who is getting ready to commit a serious crime would recognize the fact that you are armed. And it would be very easy for him to target you as a main threat in the area and engage you before you were even aware of the situation. I prefer the element of surprise. And concealed carry also gains the advantage of the correct time and positioning prior to the confrontation. Taking into consideration other innocent people in the area who might be present, your field of fire, as well as cover and or concealment available should the situation arise. This would provide the time without the suspect pre targeting us. Giving us the slight advantage. Hunting is another issue! Why Not!

Soo a couple of BGs run into a bank, and all the customers, waiting in four

lines, are OCing pistols like it's a Texas Bar-B-Q. I'm betting that would be

a crime deterrent.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #37

Liked 2351 Times on 1529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf

a crime deterrent.
That makes good YouTube vids but what are the odds of that happening in reality? Yes, possible, and has happened in the past, but not likely.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 05-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #38

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Florida has a good CWPs system. I OC when fishing, hunting and camping

in south Florida, because the minute you leave town,

you're back in the food chain. Generally it's a rifle...
Have you had any Leo contact when OC while hunting, camping, or fishing?

Old 05-18-2012, 03:49 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03

IMO if everyone who CC would OC (which is a lot of people) yes I believe that much of a presence of people OC would make criminals think twice. IMO

Old 05-18-2012, 03:51 AM   #40

Quote:

a crime deterrent.
Sounds deterring to me