open carry! what states is it legal? and who does it? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > open carry! what states is it legal? and who does it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Pa. is an open carry state, always has been.

I'm also not in favor of doing this, even though it is good to know that one can. With the attitudes of people today, other than those like minded of here, it is likely more trouble that it may be worth to open carry. As with many things in this world, just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean that one should.

One thing I have found that is not comforting is the apparent attitudes, also, of those that profess to actively open carry. Now, whether this is just computer based machismo or not is to be seen, but the noise that I've heard over time on other boards is a bit radical for my tastes. In all fairness, I haven't heard much of it on here, to those that do open carry's credit. The responsibility of open carrying seems lost on some and that's sad. With things as they are, I believe it entails more personal responsibility to open carry than concealed. If you think about it, you'll see what I mean.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #12

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjnfirearms View Post
Pa. is an open carry state, always has been.

I'm also not in favor of doing this, even though it is good to know that one can. With the attitudes of people today, other than those like minded of here, it is likely more trouble that it may be worth to open carry. As with many things in this world, just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean that one should.

One thing I have found that is not comforting is the apparent attitudes, also, of those that profess to actively open carry. Now, whether this is just computer based machismo or not is to be seen, but the noise that I've heard over time on other boards is a bit radical for my tastes. In all fairness, I haven't heard much of it on here, to those that do open carry's credit. The responsibility of open carrying seems lost on some and that's sad. With things as they are, I believe it entails more personal responsibility to open carry than concealed. If you think about it, you'll see what I mean.
^^^This^^^

Nailed it wjn, +1

Legal here in NC but so is smoking and drinking, doesn't mean you should do it.

Fair warning, while all folks here appreciate the right (those that have it) to OC, the general concensus is that it's more of a risk than anything else.

We have to accept the fact that there will always be opposition to guns no matter what we say or do. We can't beat people over the head with our opinions and most of the OC crowd seems to have that as their primary motivation to carry a firearm. Not saying you fall into this category but from my experience, the people that are OC "advocates" carry openly as some method of making a statement. IMHO that's the wrong way to go about it.

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 05-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #13

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

Im not radical about it. I just would like to have the right. I think if everyone who had a cwp would OC there would be less crime. My opinion l. I appreciate everyone's input.

Last edited by gaspump86; 05-14-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #14

Point taken

Last edited by gaspump86; 05-14-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #15
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

I'm in ma cc only. I would like the option to oc but still don't think I would do it.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1818 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Legal in Indiana!

Old 05-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #17

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

People who have a CWP/CCW/CCL have it for a reason...to conceal. Why would anyone go to the trouble of getting a permit in the first place if OC is their method of carry??? In NC, no permit of any kind is needed to OC, just for handgun purchase.

As far as OC being a deterrent...that's waaaay to subjective to make any accurate assessment. I've never seen any data on the number of crimes OC'ers have prevented by their presence, if you've found something reliable, please link us up...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 05-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #18

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspump86 View Post
I live in Florida where open carry is only legal when hunting, fishing, camping, or while going to or from doing one of these. Just curious if any of you guys and girls do it and what state you live in, and how people and Leos react??????
In NC, I do at work, everywhere else it is concealed as I don't like a target on my back.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
People who have a CWP/CCW/CCL have it for a reason...to conceal. Why would anyone go to the trouble of getting a permit in the first place if OC is their method of carry??? In NC, no permit of any kind is needed to OC, just for handgun purchase.

As far as OC being a deterrent...that's waaaay to subjective to make any accurate assessment. I've never seen any data on the number of crimes OC'ers have prevented by their presence, if you've found something reliable, please link us up...

Its not legal where i live. So to carry in FL, you must have CWP. I would like to be able to though.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspump86

Its not legal where i live. So to carry in FL, you must have CWP. I would like to be able to though.
In some OC states a permit is required.