open carry! what states is it legal? and who does it?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > open carry! what states is it legal? and who does it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

Default open carry! what states is it legal? and who does it?

I live in Florida where open carry is only legal when hunting, fishing, camping, or while going to or from doing one of these. Just curious if any of you guys and girls do it and what state you live in, and how people and Leos react??????

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #2

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

I'm not a fan of open carry, there is no reason that anyone needs to know.

I have had a very bad experience with someone I was with who open carried

I can promise you wont catch me open carrying...ever.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

You can in michigan. The only time I do is when im goin to my friends to do some shooting. I kind think it brings unwanted attention though.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #4

Im not sure but i feel like it is a deterrent of crime.... i mean if everyone in the country that has cwp did open carry, i think there would be less violent crimes!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #5

Liked 2608 Times on 1178 Posts
Likes Given: 2527

It's legal in Ohio.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspump86
Im not sure but i feel like it is a deterrent of crime.... i mean if everyone in the country that has cwp did open carry, i think there would be less violent crimes!
I thought that too but if a bg wants to rob some place and sees you have a gun wouldn't that make you more of a first target?

Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #7

Liked 2608 Times on 1178 Posts
Likes Given: 2527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158 View Post
I thought that too but if a bg wants to rob some place and sees you have a gun wouldn't that make you more of a first target?

That's one way to look at but it might also make him think twice if he knows for certain someone may shoot back. Works for the police.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #8

You would need a good holster that would be hard for someone to take the gun from you.

I see your point. I guess its easier to get the drop on someone if they are open and you are concealed.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988
I'm not a fan of open carry, there is no reason that anyone needs to know.

I have had a very bad experience with someone I was with who open carried

I can promise you wont catch me open carrying...ever.
I believe it! Just YouTube search open carry and you will see alot of people getting into confrontations with police for doing something that is legal! They get treated like criminals!
People call the cops cause they see someone doing O.C.... it makes them uncomfortable... when is the last time you did not exercise your rights because it made someone uncomfortable?

Old 05-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #10

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspump86 View Post
I believe it! Just YouTube search open carry and you will see alot of people getting into confrontations with police for doing something that is legal! They get treated like criminals!
People call the cops cause they see someone doing O.C.... it makes them uncomfortable... when is the last time you did not exercise your rights because it made someone uncomfortable?
Legal in Nevada. I OC occasionally. There's a Starbucks 2 blocks from me and they're OC friendly. When I do OC (and there's a group that does it on a regular basis on the Strip) I DO see the wide-eyed "Oh my god he's got a gun" look from the tourists, mainly the ones from the Peoples' Яepublik of Kalifornia. One afternoon I was at a Mickey D's just up the street from where I live. Ordered a burger, fries and Coke to go and while waiting for my food, a Metro motorcycle officer came in and ordered. He noticed my gun and we stood there and discussed the pros and cons of my carry weapon (Sig) and his (Glock). North Las Vegas cops seem to think that OC isn't legal and they will hassle people. That's tapering off because of the number of lawsuits that have been filed against NLV.