Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Open Carry and the Police

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #41
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2688 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

So you are saying all weapons laws are unconstitutional and should be ignored by the officers? Do you really want officers to be judging the constituionality of laws? The last time I checked, the responsibility of determining the constitutionality of a particular law was the courts, ultimately the US Supreme Court.

A Peace Officer is sworn to uphold the law. The law enacted by the duly elected legislators and signed into effect by the duly elected executive (Governor or President). If you expect Peace Officers to be Constiutional Scholars, you are going to have to pay them a whole bunch more than you do now. You think governmental budgets are bloated now?

So "life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" renders Death Penalty laws unconstitutional, makes all arrest and detentions illegal and allows people to possess and injest any substance they deem necessary to "get happy". I guess if engaging in dexual intercourse with 3 year old kids is what makes you happy then it should not be illegal?

Get a grip on reality.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 11-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm

Get a grip on reality.
HEY!!! I can think of someone you might need to have a chat with right now... Wait, it seems you just named every bit of filth that's come out of their mind in the past three days... So maybe you already have?

Old 11-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 834 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
A Peace Officer is sworn to uphold the law. The law enacted by the duly elected legislators and signed into effect by the duly elected executive (Governor or President). If you expect Peace Officers to be Constiutional Scholars, you are going to have to pay them a whole bunch more than you do now.

Get a grip on reality.
MI allows OC. MI is NOT a stop and ID state. MI State Police have put out a GREAT information bulletin on firearm laws and rights to carry... and yet LEO continue to harass and even arrest people for what appears to be the crime of defiance of illegal orders.

I don't expect them to be constitutional scholars, but I do expect them to understand the laws of the state. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, even for LEO.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:54 AM   #44
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20909 Times on 11885 Posts
Likes Given: 52455

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
MI allows OC. MI is NOT a stop and ID state. MI State Police have put out a GREAT information bulletin on firearm laws and rights to carry... and yet LEO continue to harass and even arrest people for what appears to be the crime of defiance of illegal orders.

I don't expect them to be constitutional scholars, but I do expect them to understand the laws of the state. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, even for LEO.
what we need is education and interaction from LE and citizens, not confrontation. it serves neither side in the long run. maybe some type of community gathering that would allow everyone to meet and greet and find some common ground that would be beneficial to everybody. just an idea.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #45
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1751 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFerree View Post
Ok, so I have been watching so videos on YouTube about people who open carry and they get stopped by the police. It seems like every time the police ask for identification the open carriers plead the 5th and won't show ID. Any particular reason? Just asking out of curiosity.
Oklahoma OC just went into effect on 1-Nov. I open carried that day and the next just to celebrate. I'll probably go back to concealed carry, but not completely sure.

Since OK has had concealed carry for a number of years, but just now added OC, the probability of the "OMG, he's got a gun!" call is pretty high. So, if I OC in WalMart and some libtard soccer mom freaks out, chances are good that a cop will be waiting for me at the exit.

Instead of planning to argue the legal issue with him, I chose to get one of those travel lanyards like folks wear in airports. I put my CCW license (which now also allows OC) in the window. If I walk out of WalMart with a gun on my hip and an ID displayed on my chest, he may still stop me. But it's more likely that it would be to thank me for making his job easier!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

7point62 Likes This 
Old 11-05-2012, 01:16 AM   #46

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I don't understand why people are so stupid and want to waste the officer's time with such antics.

I don't know what the people are trying to prove.
I don't OC anymore. But when I lived in NC I did. That state required no permit. As one of the people that had been stopped multiple times for OCing I can tell you that I refused to show ID not because I had something to prove, but rather because there was no justifiable reason for the cop to ask for one. A cop stopping a person for OCing when they are not committing any crime is no different than a cop stopping someone for being black at night. And complying by showing your id when they are not justified in stopping you only reinforces the thought that they are the law instead of the ones that are supposed to enforce the law.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 11-05-2012, 01:25 AM   #47
Mommy, who lights the sun?

Liked 1751 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
I have a question for all of you who think it's ok for LEO's to stop people and ask for ID when they aren't breaking any laws. Suppose you went to baseball practice everyday and you had to bring your own bat. Now what would you do if everyday a cop stopped you and asked you for ID and why are you carrying that bat? How long would it take you to get tired of that? How long before you developed a bad attitude? How many times would it take before you bring a camera with you? You make assumptions that these guys just strapped on a gun and brought their camera with them just to screw with people. Just maybe they were tired of being screwed with for doing something that is perfectly legal. Land of the free my ass.
Sounds like the bad attitude has come first to me.

Consider this. If the cop asks for your ID, you also have a right to ask for his at the appropriate time. You can get his badge number and name. Record both of them and the date. If he stops you once, perhaps as a result of a phone call, you and he can process the transaction peacefully without a problem. Chances are that the next time you meet, that cop won't be asking you to prove you have a license to OC.

If the same cop asks you repeatedly, be sure to keep the record of when he asked. After a couple of those sessions, go to Internal Affairs or hire a lawyer. If every cop you meet is asking, get all their badge numbers and names and get a lawyer, preferably one that leans towards the NRA side of things!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #48

Liked 2357 Times on 1054 Posts
Likes Given: 2263

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
So you are saying all weapons laws are unconstitutional and should be ignored by the officers? Do you really want officers to be judging the constituionality of laws? The last time I checked, the responsibility of determining the constitutionality of a particular law was the courts, ultimately the US Supreme Court.

A Peace Officer is sworn to uphold the law. The law enacted by the duly elected legislators and signed into effect by the duly elected executive (Governor or President). If you expect Peace Officers to be Constiutional Scholars, you are going to have to pay them a whole bunch more than you do now. You think governmental budgets are bloated now?

So "life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" renders Death Penalty laws unconstitutional, makes all arrest and detentions illegal and allows people to possess and injest any substance they deem necessary to "get happy". I guess if engaging in dexual intercourse with 3 year old kids is what makes you happy then it should not be illegal?

Get a grip on reality.
If there is no law against OC then what law is it exactly that he's upholding? He's not enforcing any law he is just hassling you for what you have a legal right to do. Try sticking to the topic of OC.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:05 AM   #49
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8055 Times on 4649 Posts
Likes Given: 10397

In California Open Carry of loaded firearms was banned b Governor Ronald Reagan in 1968. Yes, that Reagan. After that it was still legal to open carry unloaded firearms up until recently. As of January 1st, 2012 Unloaded Open carry has been illegal and in September of this year Governor Jerry Moonbeam Brown has banned all open carry including long guns effective January 1, 2013.

These recent bans were a direct result of a bunch of open carry activists who saw fit to start OCing in the local Starbucks for no other reason but that they could do so legally. Bunch of frigging morons got the very right they were exercising outlawed because of their stupidity. Thanks a lot a$$holes.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #50

Liked 2357 Times on 1054 Posts
Likes Given: 2263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
In California Open Carry of loaded firearms was banned b Governor Ronald Reagan in 1968. Yes, that Reagan. After that it was still legal to open carry unloaded firearms up until recently. As of January 1st, 2012 Unloaded Open carry has been illegal and in September of this year Governor Jerry Moonbeam Brown has banned all open carry including long guns effective January 1, 2013.

These recent bans were a direct result of a bunch of open carry activists who saw fit to start OCing in the local Starbucks for no other reason but that they could do so legally. Bunch of frigging morons got the very right they were exercising outlawed because of their stupidity. Thanks a lot a$$holes.

Somehow some of you guys just seem to miss the point. If it's legal then what's the problem with doing it. WTF?

Closed Thread