Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Open Carry and the Police

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Default Open Carry and the Police

Ok, so I have been watching so videos on YouTube about people who open carry and they get stopped by the police. It seems like every time the police ask for identification the open carriers plead the 5th and won't show ID. Any particular reason? Just asking out of curiosity.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I don't understand why people are so stupid and want to waste the officer's time with such antics.

I don't know what the people are trying to prove.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

People Like This 
Old 11-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #3

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

I think it would just upset someone to get stopped and asked that because there open carrying amd thats there right. Some people are very passionate about open carry and in a way I can understand them doing that but its just easier to show your i.d. and be on your way, unless ofcourse it becomes an everyday thing, in that case i would get a little ticked.

Have Gun....Will Travel

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 11-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19557 Times on 11100 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

probably they are just idiots who are trying to assert their rights so they can make a statement. keyword is idiot! these idiots are more about trying to show some LEO in a bad light and trying to drum up symphathy than truly concerned with gun owners rights. i see my best recourse for an officer who violates my rights is an attorney, not YouTube!

People Like This 
Old 11-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #5

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFerree View Post
Ok, so I have been watching so videos on YouTube about people who open carry and they get stopped by the police. It seems like every time the police ask for identification the open carriers plead the 5th and won't show ID. Any particular reason? Just asking out of curiosity.
no, no reason. some are bein antagonistic, smart a$$e$, and some are just exercisin their rights to open carry.

in states where people can open carry, and the locals are knowledgeable, an OCer is not looked @ twice. BUT, in states where OCin is on the books, but there hasn't been a person to OC in like 20 years, it starts problems with the public.

PD is called because someone is OCin. PD has to go and investigate because the report didn't say "OCin." it said "someone walkin down the street with a gun." the OCer knows that he/she can OC due to law, but some of your newer PD rooks (and some older ones) don't know that the state is an OC state. NOW the problems start.

as for "not showin an ID," it's a hot button topic. in all reality, you do not have to show ID to a public officer. IF YOU HAVE COMMITTED NO CRIME, or are not bein suspected of a crime, then they have no right to ID you, a US citizen. BUT, HERE IS THE KICKER...........even though OC is legal in a particular state, public officers still feel the need to ID you and "run" your license in order to "verify that you are not a criminal, you are who you are, and that you can legally possess a firearm (which they can't verify this information anyway)." where they think they have the right to ID you is the report that got them out to visit you. that's what they use, "the report of someone with a gun," makes you suspect. BUT, WHY WOULDJU BE SUSPECT if OC is on the books, the law, LEGAL.

SOOOOOOOOOOO, you can be an a$$ hat, and make it hard for them, and NOT show them your ID, which is legal in most cases (UNLESS STATE LAW SAYS OTHERWISE - ie, state law says that a public officer has the right to request ID from anyone in that state). OR, you can be cooperative, and polite, and do what the officer advises you to do. it just depends on how beligerent you wanna be.

if the public officer(s) wanna take you to jail for OCin, then they are, and they will. REGARDLESS if it's against the law for them to. you will go to jail until it is presented to the DA, then he/she will decide to prosecute you or not. if he/she knows the law, then he/she won't.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

People Like This 
Old 11-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2551 Times on 1339 Posts
Likes Given: 192

A lot of these knuckleheads are ascribing to the anarchist philosophy called "Sovereign Citizens". They do not recognize the legitimacy of our Government at all. I find it humorous they invoke rights they do not even believe in.

Identifying yourself has nothing to do with the 5th Amendment. Identifying your self has nothing to do with self incrimination.

IMHO, the vast majority of these people are attention starved spoiled brats looking for their 15 minutes of fame. What they usually get is a few months in the pokey to sell their BS to some other criminals.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 11-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #7

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

oh, i forgot to add............here in LA, i believe that when you sign for your driver's license, you have an obligation to identify yourself to a public officer. i know drivin is an obligation, not a right.

some folks say they weren't drivin, so the officer has no right to stop. BUT, you still have a driver's license.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 11-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19557 Times on 11100 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

UBH and Robo both elaborated on exactly as i was thinking. thank you both for saying it much better than i did.

also if a person see's you OC a pistol or firearm and they make a call to LE about it, i am pretty sure they didn't know either it was legal to OC. a LEO has a duty to investigate the report and is just doing his job. he comes up on someone doing OC, he is somewhat leary, because he see's a person with a firearm first and foremost. he wants to go home at the end of his shift to his family. and if showing him an ID eases his fear, then what is the harm done? none i can see.

remember most LEO's are just people too who happen to have a job that requires them to wear a badge and gun everyday. yes there are a few who abuse this, but they are fewer and far between and will end up getting themselves in plenty of trouble one day, (Karma is a vicious Bitch!).

Coyotenator Likes This 
Old 11-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 738 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Rights not exercised will wither away to apathy.

State law trumps. If it's a stop and ID state, then you can be stopped. If it's not then LEO can be subjected to civil rights lawsuit... as is taking place in MI right now.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #10

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I worked up a well thought out response. Then, after thinking a moment about the subject... How some people just happen to have a video camera running while being confronted by police... In some cases for carrying an AR with a freaking drum mag....

I open carry in LA, when I carry. I've yet to have any talks with police, and I've especially never walked around video recording any foot journeys that I've partaken in.

I've come to the conclusion most of these people are douche bags and I would prefer they be silenced.

Closed Thread