Open carry in Philly - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Open carry in Philly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 03:20 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3319 Times on 1493 Posts
Likes Given: 3059

I thought cops were suppose to protect and serve. Aren't they suppose to de-escalate situations not the other way around. I think that cop should find another line of work because frankly he sounds like a coward to me.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #12

Liked 38 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Digging up old news here, but yesterday Mark's case finally went to trial and he was found "not guilty" of all charges.

Since Mark's incident, I myself have had two encounters with Philly PD while OC'ing my Ruger P95.

In August, the PD responded to a MWAG call, most likely when a motorist spotted me and made a call. Several officers stopped me on the street and asked what I was doing. I simply stopped and stood still and informed them that I had a License to Carry Firearms (LTCF). I provided my ID, they ran a check and I was on my way. All pretty calm and professional. Obviously, they learned a lesson from the earlier incident..

A few weeks later I was in a CVS pharmacy where my wife is a supervisor. As I'm talking with my wife a female officer that happened to be shopping at the time came up and asked me for my ID, as she said "someone was scared". She looked at my LTCF a brief moment, handed it back and said "have a nice day". She then explained to the scared customer that I was okay and that customer apologized to me. The officer and I had a friendly chat outside the store afterwards.

I OC frequently in Philly and the majority of the time nobody takes notice or seems to care. Often though I get into conversations with people that are genuinely interested in the law and carrying a firearm and I am only too happy to teach them and provide them with information and the laws regarding carrying a firearm in Pennsylvania and in particular, Philly.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #13

Liked 3239 Times on 1624 Posts
Likes Given: 426

You OC guys in Philly need to get together and have a T-shirt made: "Yes, this gun is legal. Thanks for asking."
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 10-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #14

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by priell3 View Post
Digging up old news here, but yesterday Mark's case finally went to trial and he was found "not guilty" of all charges.

Since Mark's incident, I myself have had two encounters with Philly PD while OC'ing my Ruger P95.

In August, the PD responded to a MWAG call, most likely when a motorist spotted me and made a call. Several officers stopped me on the street and asked what I was doing. I simply stopped and stood still and informed them that I had a License to Carry Firearms (LTCF). I provided my ID, they ran a check and I was on my way. All pretty calm and professional. Obviously, they learned a lesson from the earlier incident..

A few weeks later I was in a CVS pharmacy where my wife is a supervisor. As I'm talking with my wife a female officer that happened to be shopping at the time came up and asked me for my ID, as she said "someone was scared". She looked at my LTCF a brief moment, handed it back and said "have a nice day". She then explained to the scared customer that I was okay and that customer apologized to me. The officer and I had a friendly chat outside the store afterwards.

I OC frequently in Philly and the majority of the time nobody takes notice or seems to care. Often though I get into conversations with people that are genuinely interested in the law and carrying a firearm and I am only too happy to teach them and provide them with information and the laws regarding carrying a firearm in Pennsylvania and in particular, Philly.

That's great, I'm glad to hear it.

I have no problems with cops who ask to see my permit here in my state, as it is a state law that it has to be produced on demand, and has to be on your body whenever you are carrying. This was a state law well before I got my permit.

And also the cops around here don't get too alarmed over it to begin with, and neither do the citizens. Now, some of the Memphis people who come down here get totally freaked out, but I think that's just more of a city thing than a Memphis thing.