Open Carry in Oklahoma Probable

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Open Carry in Oklahoma Probable

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Default Open Carry in Oklahoma Probable

Senate panel OKs bill to openly carry handguns
It would also allow some judges to carry weapons at the Capitol.

By BARBARA HOBEROCK World Capitol Bureau
Published: 4/1/2010 2:28 AM
Last Modified: 4/1/2010 4:46 AM

"OKLAHOMA CITY — A Senate panel on Wednesday advanced a measure that would allow those who have handgun licenses to openly carry their weapons.

House Bill 3354 was brought up under "other business" on the Senate Rules Committee agenda after originally being assigned to the Senate Judiciary Committee.

It passed by a vote of 10-2 and heads to the Senate floor.

The measure also would allow judges on the Oklahoma Supreme Court, Court of Civil Appeals, Court of Criminal Appeals and Workers Compensation Court to carry weapons into the Capitol and buildings in the Capitol complex with courtrooms or judicial offices.

Rep. Rex Duncan, R-Sand Springs, and Sen. Anthony Sykes, R-Moore, are the sponsors of the measure.

"I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment," Duncan said.

About 40 states have some version of open-carry on their books, he said.

"Oklahoma, I believe, is one of only six states that have no version of open carry," Duncan said.

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence reports that although most states regulate the carrying of concealed weapons, at least by requiring a license, few states regulate open carry.

Duncan said he didn't believe the majority of Oklahoman's who have gun licenses will carry openly.

"Most prefer to keep their weapons concealed," he said. "This would give them some latitude."

Sykes said the legislation is "a positive statement about how we believe in the Second Amendment in the state of Oklahoma."

Duncan said the bill would become effective Nov. 1.

Rep. Paul Roan, D-Tishomingo, called the measure "dangerous, irresponsible and unsafe."

Roan, who spent 30 years in law enforcement, said, "It will put people in situations where people will be shot in a fit of rage."

Sen. Patrick Anderson, R-Enid, is the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, where the bill was originally assigned. He said he declined to give the bill a hearing in his committee.

Anderson said he didn't think there was a pressing need in Oklahoma for the bill."

Barbara Hoberock (405) 528-2465
barbara.hoberock@tulsaworld.com
By BARBARA HOBEROCK World Capitol Bureau

I have mixed feeling here, but positive, it's great that another right is granted and long overdue to our state's citizens.

Well, Yippie-Ki-Yay MotherF@cker!

Alright Texas, what's your damn holdup?

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Senate panel OKs bill to openly carry handguns
It would also allow some judges to carry weapons at the Capitol.

Rep. Paul Roan, D-Tishomingo, called the measure "dangerous, irresponsible and unsafe."

Roan, who spent 30 years in law enforcement, said, "It will put people in situations where people will be shot in a fit of rage."
I think we need laws against these people who can't control their rage. I've never been so mad that I couldn't keep myself from shooting someone. Maybe this Roan guy needs some anger management training?!?

Old 04-04-2010, 07:13 AM   #3

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
[B]

Alright Texas, what's your damn holdup?

Jack

Alright Florida, what's your damn holdup?

I find it ironic that the two biggest states people associate with being very pro-gun have a ban on open carry (Florida does allow open carry in state parks). Plus we have a reason for it, 100+ degree weather with sweltering humidity.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945