Open carry and dirty cops - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Open carry and dirty cops

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Ahh... now i see the whole problem and why open carry is so important. That sucks dude; You probably should have looked up the laws first, and because you didn't **** happened

Look on the bright side though, you got it dropped to a misdemeanor and now your not a felon... So, you can still own guns! That's a victory in its own right.

So how exactly did you get caught, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 06-18-2010, 03:02 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeB1987 View Post
So how exactly did you get caught, if you don't mind me asking?
On the police report they said they saw the imprint in my pocket.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:54 AM   #43

Old 06-18-2010, 11:28 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip11 View Post
Well I have to be honest, I have to wait 8 years before I can get a cpl here in Michigan. I have considered getting one from a state that grants to nonresidents, but that will only allow me to carry concealed in that state and in the states they reciprocate with, but not in MI because I am a resident.

The beginning of last year, I was going to a liquor store about 11 or 12 at night to pick up a few items. The area is a pretty bad area known for robberies and such. I took a pistol that I normally kept at home and put it in my coat. At that time I didnt know about open carry. Long story short, the cops caught me with the gun concealed. The felony got dropped to a misdemeanor.

It really struck a nerve with me because all I was doing was carrying for self defense, a right guaranteed by both the Michigan and U.S. constitution. But because I didnt have a government issued permission slip, I committed a felony. Now I know some people may say "Hey you did it to yourself, you should've obeyed the law" and maybe I should. It sucks, but until things change, this is the way it is.

And i hate to see when someone who is carrying for self defense have their rights violated and become a felon for exercising their rights. It's wrong and unfair. I can still legally own a gun and I can open carry, but because of the law, I cant conceal carry in this state for 8 years. So here, I wouldnt be able to get a CPL until 2017 or 2018 depending on where they start counting from.
Well my friend then you have brought this upon yourself, you should not attempt to break the law and wanting to get away with when caught. I can understand the reasoning behind your actions and maybe even agree with them, however I would have to understand the risks involved as well as the penalties. Again I am agreable with all the right to carry reasoning but unfortunaly they are not applicable in most situations. Carrying a weapon in defiance of our goverment is not a good practice, however making our self heard in those quarters where it matters to our cause, that is the best way to go. We are the people that place our officials in their seats, we are also the people that remove them from those seats. You want to make a difference make it by voting for the right candidates, whomever that might be in your state. I am sorry for the sermon. Stay safe and good luck to you friend.

e fluctibus irruit in hostem

Comsubin for ever!!!!

Old 06-19-2010, 05:51 PM   #45

Thumbs up

Not that you haven't already figured it out.... but your lack of judgement in going out to get booze late at night in the "hood" illegally armed was not one of your best decisions.

BUT on the BRIGHT side of things! Just like people have said, YOU DON'T HAVE A FELONY!!!!! I have a few friends that did stupid stuff as minors, one specifically got nailed for felony possession of a firearm and 17 years later, just got his gun rights back!

Consider yourself blessed and be careful!

Oh yeah..... and I would move.....

Good Luck and again.... congrats on getting it reduced.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:18 PM   #46

[QUOTE=comsubin61;302352]Well my friend then you have brought this upon yourself, you should not attempt to break the law and wanting to get away with when caught. I can understand the reasoning behind your actions and maybe even agree with them, however I would have to understand the risks involved as well as the penalties. Again I am agreable with all the right to carry reasoning but unfortunaly they are not applicable in most situations. Carrying a weapon in defiance of our goverment is not a good practice, however making our self heard in those quarters where it matters to our cause, that is the best way to go. We are the people that place our officials in their seats, we are also the people that remove them from those seats. You want to make a difference make it by voting for the right candidates, whomever that might be in your state. I am sorry for the sermon. Stay safe and good luck to you friend.[/QUOTE

Yeah I regret it, but I still dont feel I was wrong. Im sorry only in the sense that I didnt have a permit to carry concealed but did anyway. I am not sorry or have any remorse for possesing my weapon.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:39 PM   #47

Quote:
I am not sorry or have any remorse for possesing my weapon.
I don't think you will get much argument about that here....

"I'm not worried about smart people... just stupid people with tools."