Open carry and dirty cops - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Open carry and dirty cops

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 02:26 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

If I am wrongly arrested for open carry, could I have a lawsuit against the city?

Old 06-14-2010, 02:37 AM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I don't know about a lawsuit against the city but I do not know the laws there. You might have legal ground to stand on for an unlawful arrest and/or detainment. Meaning you may cause trouble for the LEO that take you in or in some manner harass you but as far as a civil matter I would not think so. But like I said. I do not know the laws where you live.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-14-2010, 03:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip11 View Post
If I am wrongly arrested for open carry, could I have a lawsuit against the city?
Even without being a cop or a Legal eagle It's pretty easy to figure out your biggest problem with ANY Suit is in proving your case and you better have solid evidence against cops for that because even if you get lucky and get a favorable ruling the 1st round you'll have to deal with appeals that they will file to get a decision reversed .

We had a young man here who had a case where he proved beyond a doubt that a cop was just hasseling him without any justifiable cause and it took him having Cameras mounted in his car that showed what the cop did and siad and still the reaction of the public was that he just "Must" have been in the wrong to have a copper after him and not too long after it was all in the news he reported that they were constantly on his tail whenever he left his home etc. in his car .

I personally have a camera on my front porch due to problems with neighbors and had an incident with the local cops who were about to kick my you know what for absolutely nothing except sitting on my own porch reading a book minding my own business and they were called to deal with drunken neighbors and I guess assumed I was involved since I was outside .
The look on the cops face when he saw the camera was absolutely precious another half a second and his partner would have hit me with his nightstick if he hadn't grabbed his arm as it was clearing the holder on the 1st guys side , worst part is the guy who started screaming at me and was about to hit me was a seargent who looked to be in his early 50's , so much for only dumb rookies pulling this kinda stuff .

I suggest you live by the old saying "Cover your own azz" when planning on having to deal with hostile cops and get a hidden camera in your car if you intend to open carry while driving and one on you house catching you if carrying outside mowing the grass etc. .

Old 06-14-2010, 04:00 AM   #14

Default Michigan Open Carry

Yeah, people **** bricks when you carry now. Most people understand reasoning, some don't... With that said, keep a cool head, don't shout. If a shop keep looks like he's nervious because you have heat, step up and say something and If he's uncomfortable, leave. They have the right to tell you leave their property.

Also, with the whole being in your mid-twenties, black, and living in detroit... well, you can't change the way the police see you. Move out here to the countryside (West Michigan). The police force is actually a lot less racist over here, the cops are just dicks to everyone. But they have less murders, rapes, gang violence, etc. to deal with, so they're just looking to write tickets instead of arrests. Any ticket they wite, I have gone to court to fight. They never show up

Old 06-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #15
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
I tried open carrying today, no cops saw me. But EVERYONE AND I MEAN EVERYONE, who did thought I was breaking the law by not having a permit. Someone even told me that MI was not an open carry state! I tried explaining it, but it was like trying to explain how to change a flat tire to a baby.
Go to nra-ila and print out the gun laws for your area. Keep them with you. If anyone gives you grief, show them the printed law.

I've been hassled by cops and others at a gun range for my AR, so I printed out the local laws and keep it in my range bag. That shuts them up quick.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #16

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Michigan is an open carry state,pretty much always has been,and up here in rural Mid Michigan no one cares,but you are in Detroit,and cops that live in and grew up in Detroit probably don't have any idea of Michigan laws.I would suggest you pick your time to carry wisley,If it is broad daylight and you know you should be safe,then don't carry,if you are going out walking at night and feel like you need it,wear a black gun in a black leg holster against black pants,and no one will even notice,but it's still legal.Just remember that driving a car,riding a motorcycle,or even a bicycle is illegal without a CPL,and you cannot walk through school property or other gun free zones.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 06-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2858 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
I'm strongly considering openly carrying my pistol. Now I live in Detroit....not metro Detroit, but actually within the city limits. Theres a big push to get guns off the streets here in Detroit because of all the shootings that happen in the city.

Gang squad cops are stopping people for things like broken taillights and loitering and using that as probable cause to search them for weapons. However, its only certain groups that they are doing this to, and I happen to be in that group. I'm a 23 year old black male, exactly the kind of person Detroit police DOES NOT want carrying a gun. Sure a middle age white man may catch some flak for open carrying, but I know if I do it, they may be ready to send in the SWAT team. I know open carry in Michigan is legal, but what if I am open carrying and some police arrest me and say I was CONCEALED CARRYING and charge me with a CCW violation, which is a 2-5 year felony and/or a $2500 fine? One night I was in a gas station by my house buying a cinnamon roll when two undercover cops came in behind me with their badges out and said they needed to frisk me because it looked like I might be carrying a gun. I had left it at home, but that wasnt the point.

If 3 or 4 officers say I was concealed carrying when I was clearly open carrying, what should I do and what precautions should I take?

P.S. I didnt mean anything against middle aged white men I was just illustrating a fact, so please, I'm begging you, no one get offended!

Cops prowl Detroit for guns | freep.com | Detroit Free Press
Stopping someone for a broken tail light is perfectly legal. IF loitering is against the law in Michigan and or Detroit, then stopping and talking to someone for violation of that statute is also perfectly legal.

Many officers forget the rules of Terry vs. Ohio. The "Terry Frisk" is a legal investigative tool, BUT to satisfy "Terry" the officer must have a reasonable suspicion the person is armed. Simply putting your hands on someone because they "may" be armed is not legal. It does not matter what color they are or what neighborhood they are in, it is not legal. It is a 4th Amendment violation (unreasonable search and seizure).

Officers in rough areas feel compelled to fix the crime problem. Sometimes they forget the proper steps that MUST be taken. Expediancy takes the place of proper police procedure. Officers in particuarly bad areas have had guns pulled on them, been shot at, been shot, seen their friends get shot, etc. When your life is in jeopardy on a daily basis, it is hard to do anything except try to disarm as many people as possible so you can live to go home at the end of your shift. This is not an excuse...it is a reality. It does not make the shortcuts legal or "right". It simply "is".

My advise to officers in areas like this...Get out or accept the dangers. Stay legal or we all suffer the consequences.

My advise to you clip11, tread lighly.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #18

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Well this is going to start trouble

In my opinion you are looking for trouble and will likely find it. Yes the cops are going to stop you if they see you with a gun. I think they should stop you. Here in LA if there is someone walking down the street with a gun I would want the cops to stop them. Too many A hole gang bangers, and flat out whack jobs out here to think no problem with open carry. And when the cops do stop you and find out your carrying just to prove a point! They have a tough enough job to do with real bad guys. They don’t have time to spend checking out why you’re walking around with a gun. They will be pissed. You’re likely going to get ordered to the ground at gun point, cuffed, arrested for some charge like resisting, and of course have your gun confiscated. Then you can get a lawyer and fight for your rights. Good luck.

And that’s a good scenario. I think it also very likely some gang banger will see your gun and think that’s a lot nicer then this rusty POS pistol I have. Then he quietly walks up and shoots you in the back of the head and walks away with his new gun.

I would never open carry here in LA. IMO that is just painting a huge target on my back.

Last edited by Jo da Plumbr; 06-14-2010 at 04:21 PM.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Stopping someone for a broken tail light is perfectly legal. IF loitering is against the law in Michigan and or Detroit, then stopping and talking to someone for violation of that statute is also perfectly legal.

Many officers forget the rules of Terry vs. Ohio. The "Terry Frisk" is a legal investigative tool, BUT to satisfy "Terry" the officer must have a reasonable suspicion the person is armed. Simply putting your hands on someone because they "may" be armed is not legal. It does not matter what color they are or what neighborhood they are in, it is not legal. It is a 4th Amendment violation (unreasonable search and seizure).

Officers in rough areas feel compelled to fix the crime problem. Sometimes they forget the proper steps that MUST be taken. Expediancy takes the place of proper police procedure. Officers in particuarly bad areas have had guns pulled on them, been shot at, been shot, seen their friends get shot, etc. When your life is in jeopardy on a daily basis, it is hard to do anything except try to disarm as many people as possible so you can live to go home at the end of your shift. This is not an excuse...it is a reality. It does not make the shortcuts legal or "right". It simply "is".

My advise to officers in areas like this...Get out or accept the dangers. Stay legal or we all suffer the consequences.

My advise to you clip11, tread lighly.
I understand that, but I have a right to open carry! I cant have my rights stepped on because the cops are scared or have my my property seized. If thats the case then Detroit is a police state.Alot of times I think the police don't want anyone to carry or have a gun. I read in Milwaukee where open carry is also legal, the police chief was ordering his officers to stop and arrest people for open carrying. Why? No law is being broken. Police are supposed to enforce the law, not make up new laws because they dont like the ones on the book. I hope someone sues them and takes them to the poor house!

Last edited by clip11; 06-14-2010 at 04:40 PM.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2858 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
I understand that, but I have a right to open carry! I cant have my rights stepped on because the cops are scared or have my my property seized. If thats the case then Detroit is a police state.Alot of times I think the police don't want anyone to carry or have a gun. I read in Milwaukee where open carry is also legal, the police chief was ordering his officers to stop and arrest people for open carrying. Why? No law is being broken. Police are supposed to enforce the law, not make up new laws because they dont like the ones on the book. I hope someone sues them and takes them to the poor house!
I don't disagree it is a right. Just because we have certain rights does not mean it is a good idea to exercise them all the time. For a person to stand alone at a Klan rally and recite MLK's "I have a dream" speach would be reckless and inviting disaster.

Is Detroit a Police State? Maybe. I have not been in Detroit in many years. It might be. For the Milwaukee Chief to order illegal action is, well, illegal. Officers have a duty to disobey illegal orders.

Very true, officers are supposed to enforce the laws. Most laws have some degree of interpretaion attached to them. If an officer believes your open carry is also a breach of the peace and prone to incite a further problem, he also has a duty to intervene BEFORE the further problems arise.

I am of the understanding Detroit is already in the poor house. You can try to sue the officer personally, but if he is acting under the color of law and with in the agencies policies, you will not be able to get to him. You will get to the agency and the governmental entity it belongs to. You might end up with a worthless check from the city of Detroit.

IMHO, open carry is not prudent in a major metropolitan area. There are too many "non-gun" people from the mayor to the average citizen. It will be difficult to find a jury pool sympathetic to your cause. If you want to be the catylist for change, knock your self out. You will likely end up a martyr for the cause. Haven't we had enough young black martyrs in the last 50 years?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball