Open carry and dirty cops
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Open carry and dirty cops

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 04:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Open carry and dirty cops

I'm strongly considering openly carrying my pistol. Now I live in Detroit....not metro Detroit, but actually within the city limits. Theres a big push to get guns off the streets here in Detroit because of all the shootings that happen in the city.

Gang squad cops are stopping people for things like broken taillights and loitering and using that as probable cause to search them for weapons. However, its only certain groups that they are doing this to, and I happen to be in that group. I'm a 23 year old black male, exactly the kind of person Detroit police DOES NOT want carrying a gun. Sure a middle age white man may catch some flak for open carrying, but I know if I do it, they may be ready to send in the SWAT team. I know open carry in Michigan is legal, but what if I am open carrying and some police arrest me and say I was CONCEALED CARRYING and charge me with a CCW violation, which is a 2-5 year felony and/or a $2500 fine? One night I was in a gas station by my house buying a cinnamon roll when two undercover cops came in behind me with their badges out and said they needed to frisk me because it looked like I might be carrying a gun. I had left it at home, but that wasnt the point.

If 3 or 4 officers say I was concealed carrying when I was clearly open carrying, what should I do and what precautions should I take?

P.S. I didnt mean anything against middle aged white men I was just illustrating a fact, so please, I'm begging you, no one get offended!

http://www.freep.com/article/20100606/NEWS01/6060442/Cops-prowl-Detroit-for-guns

Last edited by clip11; 06-13-2010 at 05:26 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2010, 05:10 AM   #2

As a middle aged white guy..... I am not offended at all....

BUT it is my advice that if you can concealed carry.... do that if you know you are in an area that OC will just get you unwanted attention...

MSP - Michigan's Concealed Pistol Law - FAQs

AND even if you want to OC.... get your permit and then you don't have to worry. Sure you might get cuffed, but when they find your permit and you check out, the law is on your side.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:44 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I'm not offended, Clip. Detroit can be rough.

I am not familiar with any Detroit laws, but carrying a concealed handgun is a felony? 2-5 year felony? Seems a bit extreme.

Does Detroit issue CCW's? Is open carry legal in Detroit? Open carry can become CCW if angles change.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 06-13-2010, 06:13 AM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Its a shame that a law abiding citizen cant carry because of his race. It is unfortunate that one bad apple can ruin the whole bunch as they say. I hope all works out well for you clip and hope you can continue to carry for your protection. Dont know what else i can say other than that. I live way over here in Oregon and on the coast we don't have the same issues as the big city. Oh and no offense taken on the middle aged white male thing and that's coming from a 34 year old white male. You spoke it like you see it and I see it the same way from my shoes. Best place to get the answer you seek is an attorney or the courts.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:32 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Clip, here's my 2 cent's, I do not know the laws there, but if your handgun needs to be registered and/or a permit to own, then before I walked out of the house, I would make sure I had ALL of my ducks in a row. Have any required pemits/licenses/I.D. cards or whatever you could possibly need, in your posession. Maybe open carry in a way that could not possibly be concealed, such as a shoulder holster.
I do think you would be, lets say, looked at, by LEO's at every step. On the same note, the LEO's would probably get to know you by name and you would stop being looked at after a bit. You may even consider going into the closest Police station and discussing it, get their opinion and ( I can see it now) recommendations, if they have a heads up you may often just get a honk of the horn and a wave. Maybe.
What ever you decide, do it smart and stay safe. Good luck!

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-13-2010, 06:49 AM   #6

It sounds like you are contemplating both standing on Super Man's cape AND spitting into the wind.

I would suggest you go to the PD and talk with them. If you get as nasty a response as you anticipate, then to carry would seem a poor choice. If they can provide you another option, or one that will minimize your potential exposure, it sure sounds worth the time.

Detroit may be unique in the US but the police I have talked with and yes, even worked with, are much more cooperative when you come in low keyed and asking for their assistance. Yell or demand anything and many will be "less friendly".

BN-Life - NRA
- NRA Certified Instructor -
I'm not worried about terrorism, I was married, TWICE!

Old 06-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #7

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

No offence taken clip11, and sense I know and have seen what you are talking about happen myself. I can only say that things may change but not likely. One thing you can do is find a group of open carry supporters and join them in their efforts to be recognized by LEO's as simply Law abiding people who are exercising their rights.

If you are with a group to start out open carry, it makes it safer and remember a video camera is your friend also.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #8

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Like previously stated,carry in a way that cannot be concealed,like a drop leg holster,and please stay out of your vehicle if you are open carrying because you can't open carry while driving in MI,but i'm sure you knew that already.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 06-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip11 View Post
I'm strongly considering openly carrying my pistol. Now I live in Detroit....not metro Detroit, but actually within the city limits. Theres a big push to get guns off the streets here in Detroit because of all the shootings that happen in the city.

Gang squad cops are stopping people for things like broken taillights and loitering and using that as probable cause to search them for weapons. However, its only certain groups that they are doing this to, and I happen to be in that group. I'm a 23 year old black male, exactly the kind of person Detroit police DOES NOT want carrying a gun.
Neither a broken tail light nor talking with friends on a street corner are probable cause for the cops to do anything. The right lawyer could turn cops who thought otherwise into unemployable hamburger.

Older folks remember a time when cops walked a beat and got to know people personally. Who in the neighborhood was OK, who was mischievous but not a criminal, and who the bad guys were. He was respected and liked by the community he worked in because he liked and respected the community. He was one of them.

But today, things are different. Cops roam around in cars and never walk a beat. Cops don't stop and shoot the breeze with people in the community. They don't know the people and they distrust them. And the people distrust the cops. Our society has changed for the worse because of this. This division between the good guys in a community and cops is more deadly than we can imagine.

Quote:
Sure a middle age white man may catch some flak for open carrying, but I know if I do it, they may be ready to send in the SWAT team. I know open carry in Michigan is legal, but what if I am open carrying and some police arrest me and say I was CONCEALED CARRYING and charge me with a CCW violation, which is a 2-5 year felony and/or a $2500 fine?
Don't wear a shirt? Or bring along a couple friends?

Also, know a good attorney and have a printed copy of the law with you when/if cops approach. Speak in a normal tone of voice, be polite, and show you understand the law. If you do that right, they might walk away...you're not what they're looking for.

Set aside some money for attorney fees.

Ain't America great?

Quote:
One night I was in a gas station by my house buying a cinnamon roll when two undercover cops came in behind me with their badges out and said they needed to frisk me because it looked like I might be carrying a gun. I had left it at home, but that wasnt the point.
Lift up your shirt and spin 360 degrees.

Being a young black guy should never be reason for cops to say anything to you but "Hi, have a nice day."

Quote:
If 3 or 4 officers say I was concealed carrying when I was clearly open carrying, what should I do and what precautions should I take?
You're screwed. You might want to consider moving out of that area before that happens to you.

Quote:
P.S. I didnt mean anything against middle aged white men I was just illustrating a fact, so please, I'm begging you, no one get offended!
No offense taken. What you describe makes my blood boil.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:24 AM   #10

I tried open carrying today, no cops saw me. But EVERYONE AND I MEAN EVERYONE, who did thought I was breaking the law by not having a permit. Someone even told me that MI was not an open carry state! I tried explaining it, but it was like trying to explain how to change a flat tire to a baby.