Open Carry Desensitizes People to Seeing Firearms
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Open Carry Desensitizes People to Seeing Firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1189 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 241

Default Open Carry Desensitizes People to Seeing Firearms

Even the Brits are getting it

he open carry movement has pushed for more people to carry guns in public, and Texas could roll back its ban on open carry next year.

Such a public presence, Carlson says, desensitises people from the shock of seeing a gun and reduces the taboo around gun ownership.

"Gun ownership is increasingly seen as part of what it means to be a responsible citizen," she says.

"It's not just a right to self-defence but a duty to protect your family and community."

source

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #2

Liked 4651 Times on 2317 Posts
Likes Given: 1080

And a duty to make liberals cry.
I need their tears to lubricate my evil assault weapons,
Plus I use them when I run my can wet.

Arbitrary enforcement of the law is the mark of tyranny. Citizens will always fight against it.

People Like This 
Old 12-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 218 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Why would you want a potential threat to know how you are armed?

Old 12-18-2014, 11:15 PM   #4

Liked 2912 Times on 1313 Posts
Likes Given: 2762

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeoil View Post
You know every country that has nukes let's the world know they have them. Nobody picks a hard target. Almost without exception every rape and mugging have been done to people who appear to be unarmed. The logic of not letting people know you are armed flies in the face of the facts. Second: having to dig thru your clothing to get to your weapon is not exactly a tactical advantage either. Third: By not having to hide the weapon it allows you to carry enough gun instead of concealing a little tiny mouse gun. Fourth: tactics isn't what this thread is about.

Last edited by rjd3282; 12-19-2014 at 01:04 AM.
People Like This 
Old 12-18-2014, 11:34 PM   #5

Liked 2216 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
You know every country that has nukes let's the world know they have them. Nobody picks a hard target. Almost without exception every rape and mugging have been done to people who appear to be unarmed. The logic of not letting people know you armed flies in the face of the facts. Second: having to dig thru your clothing to get to your weapon is not exactly a tactical advantage either. Third: By not having to hide the weapon it allows you to carry enough gun instead of concealing a little tiny mouse gun. Fourth: tactics isn't what this thread is about.
If you are really good you can draw a gun and fire an aimed shot under 1.5 seconds. It takes the same person .20 longer draw a gun from concealment.

If you have good situational awareness it really doesn't matter how long it takes to get your gun (within reason). You will find an opportunity to get your gun. We don't live in the Wild West. No one is walking out in the street for a showdown.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:42 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3279 Times on 2256 Posts
Likes Given: 1612

Every time this comes up, I think someone is in a serious need of getting a life.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:12 AM   #7
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1965 Times on 1211 Posts
Likes Given: 11166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Every time this comes up, I think someone is in a serious need of getting a life.
Agreed. Does it really matter how one carries if they are legal to do so how and where they live? Both methods have pluses and minuses, but at least that person agrees with and practices their 2A rights.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

People Like This 
Old 12-19-2014, 01:06 AM   #8

Liked 2912 Times on 1313 Posts
Likes Given: 2762

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
If you are really good you can draw a gun and fire an aimed shot under 1.5 seconds. It takes the same person .20 longer draw a gun from concealment.

If you have good situational awareness it really doesn't matter how long it takes to get your gun (within reason). You will find an opportunity to get your gun. We don't live in the Wild West. No one is walking out in the street for a showdown.
Apparently you didn't read the fourth point of my post. Outlawing OC is just another way to hassle CC people when the wind blows their shirt open. On top of the fact that outlawing OC is unconstitutional and this fact alone should be enough to end this debate.

Last edited by rjd3282; 12-19-2014 at 01:09 AM.
bluez Likes This 
Old 12-19-2014, 01:37 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1267 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 546

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
You know every country that has nukes let's the world know they have them. Nobody picks a hard target. Almost without exception every rape and mugging have been done to people who appear to be unarmed. The logic of not letting people know you are armed flies in the face of the facts. Second: having to dig thru your clothing to get to your weapon is not exactly a tactical advantage either. Third: By not having to hide the weapon it allows you to carry enough gun instead of concealing a little tiny mouse gun. Fourth: tactics isn't what this thread is about.
I'm not sure if you been paying attention to the news lately, but there are a rather well known group of goat herders who have attacked the US repeatedly. Although some of them can't write their own name in their own language, I'm pretty sure the man at the top was well aware that the US had nukes, seeing as how some of his plans involved blowing things up near them.

The US military doesn't "let" the world know where it has the nukes. Part of not letting the bad guys know where our weapons are is part of that whole concealment concept.

All of our most advanced weapon systems have internal, or in other words hidden, carriage of weaponry. Our enemies discover what was being carried when ordnance starts raining down on them.

The difference between you, by yourself, and the cops or the military is they have a bunch of other guys with them. Last time I checked, our soldiers wore camouflaged uniforms to avoid being seen altogether.

As a civilian, I don't wear camo or spend much time skulking around in public. I don't have a backup team who can come and save my butt if someone gets the jump on me. All I have is my wits, a cell phone (a poor man's radio), a pistol, and a small knife. My only advantage is that many people aren't very observant.

I try to pay attention to what goes on around me. That's Plan A. Plan B is very messy and won't end well. The only question at that point is who it won't end well for. I'd rather not find out.

Keep all the advantages you can and pay attention. Give potential adversaries as little information as possible to size you up with. It's guaranteed that they're doing it either way. The less they know, the better. A split second faster reaction means you're still behind the power curve. Be observant if you're concerned with staying ahead of the curve.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:51 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1189 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeoil View Post
Deterrent v surprise... I'll choose Deterrent.