Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Open carrier in California being harrassed by cops

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

Is it California law that open carry is legal, but only if the firearm is unloaded?

Are you allowed to have loaded magazines on your person?

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #12

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Last I heard, that's the way it was, but they are talking about banning OC all together if they haven't done it already.

Maybe CA357 would chime in, he's always up on the CA laws.

And yes, they are/or were allowed to have magazines or loose ammo on their person at the same time.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:22 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
...While I will support the second amendment, and do... There are still state laws, and whether or not these laws are in violation is up to us to vote for the right people and the right legislation to do away with them. We as a people, citizens of this country, and residents of our respective states, are NOT to violate the laws that have been placed on our burden....

Imagine having to consent to a search before entering a church, or having to have a conversation with a friend approved before having that conversation...Would anyone stand for that?

Then why should we have to stoop to a search in order to exercise our 2nd Amendment rights? I admire this guy for what he is doing, and it sickens me that our police are so eager to violate our rights.

I've stopped giving to NRA because they seem to be so gung ho on cops, yet cops are the vehicle for violation of our 2nd Amendment rights. Cops want to carry concealed to protect their life and property, while at the same time pushing for laws to restrict the rights of law abiding citizens. The defrocked Orange County, CA Sheriff, now a felon, was allowed to continue concealed carry long into his appeal, appeals held after he was convicted as a felon.

The Bill of Rights, at least the first ten amendments, were essential to passage of the Constitution...without the first ten Amendments, the Bill of Rights, the Constitution would never have been ratified and we'd be ruled by the Queen.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:25 AM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Last I heard, that's the way it was, but they are talking about banning OC all together if they haven't done it already.

Maybe CA357 would chime in, he's always up on the CA laws.

And yes, they are/or were allowed to have magazines or loose ammo on their person at the same time.
Governor Wilson just this month signed a law banning Open Carry, effective 2012. That law basically makes it impossible for most folks to Open Carry unloaded or to Concealed Carry loaded or unloaded (unless you're a judge, DA, or cop...an interesting group that just loves to go after folks that are compelled to carry to protect themselves, but due to the irrational CCW procedures can never get a CCW permit).

Old 10-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #15

Liked 198 Times on 137 Posts

Im sorry but carrying an empty firearm is stupid, whats the point. If someone grabs you and you only have one hand to deploy and and load your weapon then your screwed. Carrying an empty pistol is like carrying a $300 hammer because all its good for pistol whipping your attacker.

Its hearing about stupid useless laws like this that make me glad i live in indiana and not commie-fornia. Seriously whose side are the lawmakers in cali on, seems like every law is designed to help criminals, i mean wtf?

I carry concealed in indiana even tho open is an option and yes my gun is loaded, locked and cocked at all times otherwise whats the point. Its perfectly legal to do so here.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 10-22-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:19 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

This guy is nothing more than a media whore dumbass. Whether we like it or not the laws in Cali are specific and this is the last place that is going to move in a constitutional direction. Get a CCW and get on with it. As we all have seen, carrying openly only draws attention to ones self. I get the impression that this guy is anti- law enforcement anyway. The only statement this guy has made is that he's a nutjob and should apply for SSI at the nearest Social Security office.

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 10-25-2011, 01:29 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1667 Times on 917 Posts
Likes Given: 2446

Quote:
The only statement this guy has made is that he's a nutjob and should apply for SSI at the nearest Social Security office.
+1

He's as nutty at that guy in TN who openly carried the AK-47 pistol and got his concealed carry license revoked.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:42 AM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Why should he "get a ccw and get on with it"? He is open carrying as allowed by law. Maybe he does not want to pay the fees. Maybe he doesn't want to wait. Maybe he feels open carry is a deterrent.

First of all, it doesn't cost much at all to obtain a CCW (roughly $200) and my wait time was 2 weeks. And what good is open carry if the firearm is empty. So that blows the deterrent theory away. Gang Bangers such as the Crips, Bloods, Surenos, MS 13 and any other wannabe hood rats would eat this guys lunch if they saw him carrying an empty gun openly. They carry too! If he really wants to exercise his constitutional right, then he should carry locked and loaded and refuse to even be "harassed" by law enforcement. I would like to see how far that would get him.

I wonder why he is anti-cop? Would you be anti-cop if cops violated your enumerated fundamental civil right to bear arms?

He is carrying openly in a state that does not allow it! DUH!!! Is it that hard for you to see? When in ROME.....

Why name call and bash? How do you know the man is a "nutjob"? I'll venture to guess you have no inside information. It is clear that man who exercises his rights inspite of harrassment by government actors is much braver than you. By your words you show yourself to be incapable of standing up for an enumerated fundamental civil right.

You are right, I had no right to call him a nutjob. The shrinks will make that determination when law enforcement eventually places a 72 hour psych hold on him. "I Don't Consent To Search" repeat, repeat, repeat. Braver than myself, who knows. I would like to think more foolish than me because I would venture to say that there is no way in hell that the Ontario Police Dept. will ever even give this guy a CCW, based on his behavior. Myself, I would give up my Driver's License before my carry permit. I believe with all my being in the constitution but you have to pick your battles and the appropriate battleground and southern Ca. isn't it. Can you imagine how many crimes are committed in southern Ca. on a daily basis with firearms? Law Enforcement would be derelict in their duty if they didn't check him and his weapon. That is common sense.

I find your use of MOLON LABE in your signature line to be repulsive. Do you have any idea what that means? Hacopien knows...

Repulsive?!? Well maybe you or anyone else should try and "Come And Get Them" and you will find out in very short order. How's that?

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 10-25-2011, 02:45 AM   #19
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1129 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 528

Guys, California is not a "Shall Issue" state. It is a "Can Issue" state, and if you do not have a judge's order to obtain a permit or are friends with a mayor of a city or it's police chief, you will NOT be issued a CCW in California in most counties. This is from living in several counties for a quarter of a century and trying in ALL of them and their adjoining counties. I have heard there are a few counties that have changed since I have left, but you still have to have all your ducks in a row.

Secondly, you have to remember that there is a split in the politics of the police station. Most beat cops from sergeant on down want civilians to be able to defend themselves and have no problem with them being armed if they are trained and follow the laws. Lieutenant on up has started playing politics to further their career, and chiefs tend to take a very anti-gun position for politicking if they know what's good for them. They will never advance with a pro-gun position, so every time you hear about the police taking an anti-gun stance, you'll notice that it ALWAYS comes from the chief and there will be no quotes from street cops or the police organizations. Be very aware of this before accusing "cops" as a whole of a political position, because oft-times one is not representative of the other group, but people wrongly lump them together.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 10-25-2011, 02:46 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1667 Times on 917 Posts
Likes Given: 2446

Quote:
Soon the checks will be challenged and they will probably be declared unconstitutional.
Don't hold your breath. The federal appeals court for CA has never in recent times ruled in favor of gun rights.

Closed Thread