Online Surveys on 2A - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Online Surveys on 2A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1654 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
There have been numerous surveys done on liberal websites as well. They usually show at least 70%-100% appose bans, regulation, and any new gun control.

Almost every survey I have see so far as said the same thing. The vast majority of Americans appose more gun control.
Tex, I was referring to the specific poll referenced above. It is, on the face of it, BOGUS.

It all depends on who is being asked, what questions are asked, and how they are asked. Pollsters can make any poll demonstrate any result they wish. Most American do not want more gun laws, I agree. But if you ask if there should be more background checks, most will answer yes. If you ask specifically, if high capacity magazines should be banned, most will answer yes.

For instance, you might ask, "Should the second amendment be protected" the answer will be a great majority yes.

If you ask if someone who has been committed to a mental institution should be able to buy guns, the answer will be no.

The two are mutually exclusive. 2A can not be absolute and yet prevent any citizen from owning firearms.

Polls are the playground of tricksters. Don't be tricked.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Last edited by Chainfire; 04-14-2013 at 07:25 PM.
locutus Likes This 
Old 04-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6619 Times on 3687 Posts
Likes Given: 6288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Tex, I was referring to the specific poll referenced above. It is, on the face of it, BOGUS.

It all depends on who is being asked, what questions are asked, and how they are asked. Pollsters can make any poll demonstrate any result they wish. Most American do not want more gun laws, I agree. But if you ask if there should be more background checks, most will answer yes. If you ask specifically, if high capacity magazines should be banned, most will answer yes.

For instance, you might ask, "Should the second amendment be protected" the answer will be a great majority yes.

If you ask if someone who has been committed to a mental institution should be able to buy guns, the answer will be no.

The two are mutually exclusive. 2A can not be absolute and yet prevent any citizen from owning firearms.

Too bad, really. They have the potential for much good, but the way they are run today, Chain is spot on.

Rasmussen and Pew Research are the only ones I even partially trust, and even those I take with a grain of salt. Quinnipiac is better than most, but often subtly biased.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post

Where are you getting that information from? ALL of the polls I have seen say the exact opposite, regardless of how they were worded and where they were from.
If the majority did support those things, we would have had them years ago.
The reality is, most don't want magazine bans or UBCs, do you?

Old 04-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6619 Times on 3687 Posts
Likes Given: 6288

Quote:
Where are you getting that information from? ALL of the polls I have seen say the exact opposite, regardless of how they were worded and where they were from.
If the majority did support those things, we would have had them years ago.
The reality is, most don't want magazine bans or UBCs, do you?

The majority do not want magazine bans or an AWB.

But an overwhelming majority strongly support UBC. That's a fact, Jack!

Now, if we're smart, we can kill UBC with "poison pill" amendments. Or, we can get some compromises where we gain more than we lose. For instance, repeal of current out of state buying restrictions, nationwide reciprocity, possibly allowing handguns to be shipped by U.S. Mail etc, etc.

If we play their game smarter than they play it, we may lose a little and gain a lot.

The repubs who opposed the filibuster didn't sell us out. quite the contrary, they made a smart move that will pay off in the long run.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
[/B]

The majority do not want magazine bans or an AWB.

But an overwhelming majority strongly support UBC. That's a fact, Jack!

Now, if we're smart, we can kill UBC with "poison pill" amendments. Or, we can get some compromises where we gain more than we lose. For instance, repeal of current out of state buying restrictions, nationwide reciprocity, possibly allowing handguns to be shipped by U.S. Mail etc, etc.

If we play their game smarter than they play it, we may lose a little and gain a lot.

The repubs who opposed the filibuster didn't sell us out. quite the contrary, they made a smart move that will pay off in the long run.
Really? Do you have proof of that?

Old 04-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #16

Liked 1654 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
There have been numerous surveys done on liberal websites as well. They usually show at least 70%-100% appose bans, regulation, and any new gun control.

Almost every survey I have see so far as said the same thing. The vast majority of Americans appose more gun control.
I am not saying you are wrong about you judgement on where Americans stand. I suspect that most Americans just simply don't give a damn one way or the other, except the gun owners, the crime victims and the politicians looking for new votes. I suppose the next election cycle will clarify the people's positions; the voting booth is the only poll that matters anyway.

Polls are paid for by organizations who want to use the data to further their causes. The results are usually preordained. If the pollster returns data that is in opposition to the organization that hired him, he will not get any return business, or the data will simply never appear to the public, or both. No one will ever release the results of a poll that didn't go the way they wanted it to.

Polls are like butt-holes, everyone has one and they all stink.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 04-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 266 Times on 171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire
If you pay close attention to the results of this survey, you will realize how slanted it is.

Look at the percentage of respondents that are a member of the NRA.....
If the survey was valid, it would have shown that the Non-Members would have been the vast majority of respondents, to reflect the actual population.

NRA membership is about 2% of the adult population of the US. If the survey had been honest, then only 2% of the respondents would have been NRA members.

With sufficient funding, I could have a statistician design a poll that's results would reflect that a majority of Americans believed that the moon was made of blue cheese. The poll designer might have to survey a majority of Americans that were residents of looney bins, but it is possible.

You have to apply some critical thought to the information you are given.
Not quite right on the percentage of NRA members responding to the poll meaning it wasn't random. It is an issue that NRA members are more likely to respond to at a higher percentage than the general population. Thus if you ask a random sampling of people if they will take a poll on the 2A, those who are NRA members are far more likely to respond to the poll. If the respondents were less than the 2% that are NRA members, then you would know that they had in fact purposely screwed the sample.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1042 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 228

There is yet another problem with online polls... and I proved this on a local poll. Local news station was looking to broadcast a Friday night HS football game. I wrote a script that started pinging the stations poll Unfortunately the other school had the same script running. The station was absolutely dumbfounded that these two games had exceeded all prior polls multiple times over