Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > One Senator's Thought on Gun Legislation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default One Senator's Thought on Gun Legislation

Here is what Sen. Mitch McConnell said regarding Gun Legislation.

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell federal spending and the country's debt will dominate the congressional agenda for the next three months, and that debate about potential gun legislation in the wake of the Connecticut school shooting will take a back seat.

The Kentucky lawmaker tells ABC's "This Week" that lawmakers will wait to see what an Obama administration review led by Vice President Joe Biden might propose. McConnell says Congress will need to study any recommendations and then see what's appropriate to do.

But he says that over the coming months, nothing much beyond the country's finances will occupy the attention of Congress.
This seems to be the most reasonable action so far.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #2

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Those are BY FAR the most important issues right now so I hope he's right...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 01-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #3

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts

I don't think Dianne fiensteins assault weapons ban has a chance.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2059 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 742

I hope that's not wishful thinking.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

I think Executive powers will be used to expedite any gun legislation.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Genec Likes This 
Old 01-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

It's another red herring. Just as this whole debacle with the Journal releasing the names of permit holders in NY. By allowing that to happen and releasing comments like Mr. McConnell's they are taking attention away from the actual issue, dividing the ranks in a way to draw attention away from what congress will actually try to do and attempt as swiftly as congressionally possible.

"Never let a good crisis go to waste". R Emanuel.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 01-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

As Gerald Celente had said "... such a ban on guns would ultimately fail, as it had fail with the war on Prohibition and the war on drugs. There are over 30 million gun owners in America, and what with crime on the rise, that too will fail."

Old 01-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #8

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

I won't put my money on ANY bets for quite some time.

I agree that the top issue right now seems to be on the financial crisis of our nation. the media coverge on new gun ban legislation lasted about a week after the school shooting, and the last 2-3 weeks, all we've heard in the media in regards to new legislation, has all been about the "fiscial cliff" and how the Republicans are stale mated against the democrats, and how such and such group left for vacation when the other group is still in session, Obama is in Hawaii on vacation...oh now he's back in DC to handle the crisis, etc.

all the media focus right now is on finances. Not even a blip in the national media about new gun ban or further controls/requirements for legal ownership proposals in the legislative branch.

That alone suggests that the focus will be on the continuation of the financial debate, since only "half the issue" was addressed in the form of the tax bill they passed, and now they will spend the next 3 months or so on the issue of cutting federal spending, and there simply won't be time to change gears and begin a gun control debate.

But, one thing this president has already proven, is that he has no problem introducing, and forcing through legislation despite that the American people do not want it. (health care bill)

However, I'm not so sure that he has the votes to force through anything. If the house and senate are so divided that they can't pass a budget which most people don't care about other than "what's the total dollar spent, and does it affect the 1 thing I care about," how can they fathom the idea of passing something that's such a polarizing and emotional issue that everyone feels passionate about, regardless of which side of the debate you're on?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #9

Liked 325 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 517

McConnell is one of my senators. I hope he and others of like thinking can postpone any vote on gun control. With time emotions cool and memories fade.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2741 Times on 1591 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

Remember who you voted for, and who you will vote for.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)