Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   One Senator's Thought on Gun Legislation (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/one-senators-thought-gun-legislation-80508/)

Kemosabe 01-06-2013 03:03 PM

One Senator's Thought on Gun Legislation

Here is what Sen. Mitch McConnell said regarding Gun Legislation.

Quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell federal spending and the country's debt will dominate the congressional agenda for the next three months, and that debate about potential gun legislation in the wake of the Connecticut school shooting will take a back seat.

The Kentucky lawmaker tells ABC's "This Week" that lawmakers will wait to see what an Obama administration review led by Vice President Joe Biden might propose. McConnell says Congress will need to study any recommendations and then see what's appropriate to do.

But he says that over the coming months, nothing much beyond the country's finances will occupy the attention of Congress.
This seems to be the most reasonable action so far.

vincent 01-06-2013 03:09 PM

Those are BY FAR the most important issues right now so I hope he's right...

robertb6112 01-06-2013 03:10 PM

I don't think Dianne fiensteins assault weapons ban has a chance.

ScottA 01-06-2013 03:11 PM

I hope that's not wishful thinking.

Squawk 01-06-2013 03:12 PM

I think Executive powers will be used to expedite any gun legislation.

drvsafe 01-06-2013 03:16 PM

It's another red herring. Just as this whole debacle with the Journal releasing the names of permit holders in NY. By allowing that to happen and releasing comments like Mr. McConnell's they are taking attention away from the actual issue, dividing the ranks in a way to draw attention away from what congress will actually try to do and attempt as swiftly as congressionally possible.

"Never let a good crisis go to waste". R Emanuel.

PanBaccha 01-06-2013 03:28 PM

As Gerald Celente had said "... such a ban on guns would ultimately fail, as it had fail with the war on Prohibition and the war on drugs. There are over 30 million gun owners in America, and what with crime on the rise, that too will fail."

70cuda383 01-06-2013 03:30 PM

I won't put my money on ANY bets for quite some time.

I agree that the top issue right now seems to be on the financial crisis of our nation. the media coverge on new gun ban legislation lasted about a week after the school shooting, and the last 2-3 weeks, all we've heard in the media in regards to new legislation, has all been about the "fiscial cliff" and how the Republicans are stale mated against the democrats, and how such and such group left for vacation when the other group is still in session, Obama is in Hawaii on vacation...oh now he's back in DC to handle the crisis, etc.

all the media focus right now is on finances. Not even a blip in the national media about new gun ban or further controls/requirements for legal ownership proposals in the legislative branch.

That alone suggests that the focus will be on the continuation of the financial debate, since only "half the issue" was addressed in the form of the tax bill they passed, and now they will spend the next 3 months or so on the issue of cutting federal spending, and there simply won't be time to change gears and begin a gun control debate.

But, one thing this president has already proven, is that he has no problem introducing, and forcing through legislation despite that the American people do not want it. (health care bill)

However, I'm not so sure that he has the votes to force through anything. If the house and senate are so divided that they can't pass a budget which most people don't care about other than "what's the total dollar spent, and does it affect the 1 thing I care about," how can they fathom the idea of passing something that's such a polarizing and emotional issue that everyone feels passionate about, regardless of which side of the debate you're on?

Warrior1256 01-07-2013 11:57 PM

McConnell is one of my senators. I hope he and others of like thinking can postpone any vote on gun control. With time emotions cool and memories fade.

danf_fl 01-08-2013 12:24 AM

Remember who you voted for, and who you will vote for.