One cop's view of open carry - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

One cop's view of open carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 187 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 185

It's pretty simple really if you think about it, you have people that where brought up around guns and are comfortable with them then you have people that either haven't been or are against them because the other people in the gated community are against them because only people that cause trouble have them.

I'm for open carry I think it's a good idea to a point, it can scare people or it can give other people the confadence to carry there weapons and it sends a message to people that this is one place you don't want to mess with. Also depending on whats going on around your community it can really put the police on edge.

Hell we were playing airsoft in a friends back yard once and some moron called the police saying we were shooting guns off in city limits. (Minding one of them was a replica of a M14) We had the SRT out there looking for us along with a few officers when they came down and saw what was going on they had a pretty good laugh mostly because if we were shooting a 308 they would have heard it from the police department.

So if a few kids with clear plastic guns can do that it does make me worry how some people might respond to someone with a real gun that's not doing anything.

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 09-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #32

Liked 70 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
It's pretty simple really if you think about it, you have people that where brought up around guns and are comfortable with them then you have people that either haven't been or are against them because the other people in the gated community are against them because only people that cause trouble have them.

I'm for open carry I think it's a good idea to a point, it can scare people or it can give other people the confadence to carry there weapons and it sends a message to people that this is one place you don't want to mess with. Also depending on whats going on around your community it can really put the police on edge.

Hell we were playing airsoft in a friends back yard once and some moron called the police saying we were shooting guns off in city limits. (Minding one of them was a replica of a M14) We had the SRT out there looking for us along with a few officers when they came down and saw what was going on they had a pretty good laugh mostly because if we were shooting a 308 they would have heard it from the police department.

So if a few kids with clear plastic guns can do that it does make me worry how some people might respond to someone with a real gun that's not doing anything.
And that is why I don't give two ****s if someone is upset by my choice to open carry. You can't please everyone so I refuse to even try. Someone will always be upset by the choices someone else makes so the only thing you can do is choose not to care what other people think.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #33

Liked 482 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHunter

And that is why I don't give two ****s if someone is upset by my choice to open carry. You can't please everyone so I refuse to even try. Someone will always be upset by the choices someone else makes so the only thing you can do is choose not to care what other people think.
I see what youre saying, but theres another side to that. We as gun owners have a responsibility to present ourselves with the best image possible. Walking around with a gun on your hip and an IDGAF attitude is going to make all of us look bad. Right now, with the way things are, OC carries a responsibility to everybody to be on your absolute best behavior. We have no wiggle room. Maybe thats not the way it should be, but thats the way it is.
People Like This 
Old 09-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #34
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

If we can accept what the article's author states that OC is both a right and a political statement, then I do not understand why some of those who choose to OC want to incite panic. If I were to OC, I would wear colorful clothes (not camouflage) that were stylish and clean (not a dirty T-shirt with angry pro-gun rhetoric), and I would be pushing a stroller or walking a puppy with a big smile on my face. An angry, dirty, unshaven man with a gun screams "CRIMINAL!" To almost everyone. But a well-dressed person (khaki slacks and yellow polo shirt for guys) that is clean-shaven and performing family-friendly tasks (pushing stroller or walking puppy) causes their thinking to stall, because the sight before them is an oxymoron. Are you an insurance agent? But you have a gun. But you're walking a puppy! Their confusion benefits you two ways: they don't call the police, sparing you an unpleasant encounter, and they begin to accept the fact that guns can be incorporated into every day life and are not inherently evil.

Yes, the stereotype of anyone wearing camouflage and a baseball cap being a militant madman is wrong. No, you shouldn't be forced to dress a certain way or buy a new puppy every three months. However, if your ultimate goal is across-the-board acceptance of guns in society, you have to work within both the limits of the system and the stereotypes that everyone applies within three seconds of viewing a situation to determine if they are in danger or not. By confusing their brain, you force a phenomenon rarely seen these days: Thinking! They can not justify calling the police on an insurance agent walking a puppy. They have to consider the totality of circumstance and reason that no threat exists, even though there is a gun present. By working within these confines, we gain our ultimate goal more quickly and avoid the unpleasantries of police confrontation, negative media and an "us vs. them" mentality amongst neighbors and society as a whole.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
People Like This 
Old 09-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #35
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

IMO, it's not so much about open carry, but the attitude a person uses when open carrying that is the huge factor in how they are dealt with. i think as time goes on, that most LEO's will come to understand that this is a right of a LAC to excercise and become less fearful of people open carrying.

another point that i will address is those who act like their rights are being trampled simply because they are talked to because someone called in a report of an armed person. really? simply getting bent out of shape because a LEO is doing his job? really? and your feelings are hurt because he ask for idenfication? really? and acting like a bent out shape douchebag does everyone good i am sure. something else to consider, is in a street confrontation with a LEO that doesn't know your rights or the law, don't argue or escalate the situation. you can't win on the street. take it to your lawyer if he acted out of line or truly did infringe on your rights. file a complaint with his superior and the head of the department. have your contact them and let him handle it. on the street, even if the officer is totally wrong, you can't win. as a matter of fact, it could get worse.

but the main point is, a person's attitude, can either further our cause of gun rights or damage it. how we interact with LE and others will play a huge role in how people percieve us as gun owners. truly does it hurt to act with a little kindness? doesn't it make more sense to act with some dignity and class with others, especially LEO's?
People Like This 
Old 09-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
I see what youre saying, but theres another side to that. We as gun owners have a responsibility to present ourselves with the best image possible. Walking around with a gun on your hip and an IDGAF attitude is going to make all of us look bad. Right now, with the way things are, OC carries a responsibility to everybody to be on your absolute best behavior. We have no wiggle room. Maybe thats not the way it should be, but thats the way it is.
If someone is genuinely interested in OC then hey I got no problem talking to them. What I do have a problem with is people coming up to me and telling me that what I am doing is wrong and that i should stop. Those people can go jump off a bridge. I also have a problem with cops harassing those who OC simply because some idiot gets his/her panties in a bunch and calls the cops. The Supreme Court has already ruled that OC is NOT probable cause to detain. You are detained each and every time a cop stops you and requests ID. So yes that is a Violation of our rights every time a cop does that.

Having dealt with harassment from other citizens as well as cops when I OC'ed in Wilkes-Barre, PA I no longer care what other people think when it comes to my choice to OC.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Attitude does count for a lot, on all sides of the OC situation: OCers should try not to look like violent or mentally-ill felons out for slaughter. LEO's should try not to look like stormtroopers when they encounter the OCers. Bystanders should try not to look terrified by the very sight of a firearm on anyone but a LEO. We all have our parts to play.
People Like This 
Old 09-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHunter View Post
If someone is genuinely interested in OC then hey I got no problem talking to them. What I do have a problem with is people coming up to me and telling me that what I am doing is wrong and that i should stop. Those people can go jump off a bridge. I also have a problem with cops harassing those who OC simply because some idiot gets his/her panties in a bunch and calls the cops. The Supreme Court has already ruled that OC is NOT probable cause to detain. You are detained each and every time a cop stops you and requests ID. So yes that is a Violation of our rights every time a cop does that.

Having dealt with harassment from other citizens as well as cops when I OC'ed in Wilkes-Barre, PA I no longer care what other people think when it comes to my choice to OC.
until people start accepting OC as the normal rather than the exception, people are going to make reports about a person carrying. copping an attitude does more damage than good, and could land you into more trouble than you want. just because we know what our gun rights are, doesn't mean everyone else does. a little diplomacy and kindness go a long ways.

you're not setting a good example by acting like a jerk, even if you are within your rights. how about the next person that's carrying and has an encounter with the same LEO's? did you do that person any favors by acting the way you did? probably not.
People Like This 
Old 09-19-2013, 12:30 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
until people start accepting OC as the normal rather than the exception, people are going to make reports about a person carrying. copping an attitude does more damage than good, and could land you into more trouble than you want. just because we know what our gun rights are, doesn't mean everyone else does. a little diplomacy and kindness go a long ways.

you're not setting a good example by acting like a jerk, even if you are within your rights. how about the next person that's carrying and has an encounter with the same LEO's? did you do that person any favors by acting the way you did? probably not.
It would not be an issue if cops would actually learn about the laws they are supposed to be enforcing. As long as the cop is respectful I am respectful however I also understand that they have no cause to stop me just because I am OCing. While yes I understand the cops have a job to do, that does not give them the right to detain me without probable cause. If a cop does I will absolutely do everything in my power to make sure that said cop or cops no longer has a badge. It would not be the first time I got a cop **** canned for unlawful detainment.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:53 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHunter View Post
It would not be an issue if cops would actually learn about the laws they are supposed to be enforcing. As long as the cop is respectful I am respectful however I also understand that they have no cause to stop me just because I am OCing. While yes I understand the cops have a job to do, that does not give them the right to detain me without probable cause. If a cop does I will absolutely do everything in my power to make sure that said cop or cops no longer has a badge. It would not be the first time I got a cop **** canned for unlawful detainment.
please elaborate on how you got a cop fired. we'd like some more details. i am sure many of us would like to hear the details.
People Like This