Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > One cop's view of open carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 01:46 AM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF
I could care less if you did. As long as you didn't stand on a busy street corner in order to scare all the old ladies and soccer moms and purposefully get into a p***ing match with the cop that you KNOW they're gonna call it wouldn't matter.
My point is when you go out like your looking for trouble versus exercising a right you're the problem.. Anyways..

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-23-2013, 01:53 AM   #122
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2110 Times on 1456 Posts
Likes Given: 437

Well, I won't go searching for a fight, but I do OC when I'm out in the desert on my UTV or the trike in town,...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 09-23-2013, 03:10 AM   #123
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2162 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool

Here we go again. Same old debate, different day. Those who do not defend their rights, lose them. And if one right is compromised, all rights become vulnerable. It's that simple.
And defending your rights is not done by abusing them. It's that simple.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."
People Like This 
Old 09-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #124
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1044 Times on 673 Posts
Likes Given: 5366

[quote=MTHunter;1378630]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
OP. great articles that give great information to think about on both sides of the OC\CC debate. thanks for sharing.

MTHunter. In the Wilkes-Barre incident you speak of there is a fact that you did not mention. IE- PA's OC laws. While there is no law forbidding OC in PA, there also is no law that clearly states that it is allowed. If it had happened in Philly, and you did not have a CCW, you would have been arrested. That city requires a CCW to OC within the city limits.Whether or not the LEO who proned you out was within the the legal scope of his duties is something I can not say. i was not there. However, i myself have a CCL in both NY and PA, and if I am going to the mall in Erie, i CC every time. Ocing in a major city is just begging for harassment in PA, and is grounds for arrest iun NY (CC only as per state law).

That I did not know and I do know know that Luzerne county does not require a CCW to OC as I was told this by whoever it was I talked to at the time. If there is no law law forbidding it then there is nothing to enforce. The BS surrounding open carry is one reason I left as soon as I could. Now I live in Montana where open carry is common place. Never been harassed here, but have had cops ask what I am carrying ( at the moment a Beretta 96A1). A few of the cops here OC when off duty.

I will say this of all the times I have been confronted by cops it is the younger ones who act like a dick 90% of the time. Never have I had an issue with an older cop. I am always respectful to cops that show me respect and do not try and violate my rights.
Thank you. I now know that if I am ever in Luzerne County, they follow the state OC laws (or lack thereof). All I was trying to say in my post is that there is a time and a place to OC. In a crowded mall, full of old ladies and socer moms is not a place where I myself would chose to do so. I do think that everyone who wishes to do so should have the right to carry in any manner or place they want to, but I make the choice no to with only a few exceptions. If I was out somewhere and everyone there was OCing, I would do so myself, because honestly, nobody in their right mind would ever start sh!t in a room full of LAC who are displaying the fact that they are doing so openly.The only times I choose to OC are as follows:

1 hunting or while afield on private property or my own property.
2 At the range, or in a rod and gun club (unloaded while inside as per club rules).
3 while helping out at my friend's gun shop.

The rest of the time, even if I lived in a state where printing is not cause to arrest someone for brandishment, I would chose to CC. I do however, believe that all of us should have the option of OC. Here in NY, it would help fix the economy if they would drop the pistol permit requirement. Without the legal BS of having to get a permit to posses, more NYers would own handguns, and more cash would be in the state coffers. IOW, IMHO, OC should always be an option.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 09-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #125
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1275 Times on 798 Posts
Likes Given: 677

It will 'police' itself, but please support the 'RIGHT'!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 09-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #126
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5691 Times on 3341 Posts
Likes Given: 4847

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
This is the Deep South. Everybody here has a gun. As long as they use common sense most of us leave them alone.

Since the Dbags have started this youtube crap most agencies are doing specific in service training on how to handle that specific situation, and how to handle people OCing in general.
Yep, there was a LEO on a Mississippi firearms forum who discussed his office or district's meeting/seminar on how the OC thing was to be handled. Sounds like a professional officer; IIRC, does some training for "enhanced concealed carry" permits.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 09-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #127
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1306 Times on 687 Posts
Likes Given: 1800

This is a video of an open carry protest I thought some might like to see. If it's been posted here previously, I guess I missed it:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a8a_1379922014
Anywayyyy, while you all are tossing around whether any of this is a good thing or whether it is just too big a pain in the a$$ to tolerate, I'd like to say that I would give my left nut if this were possible here in Alberta. It isn't. All of those people would be arrested, charged and successfully prosecuted here in OZ. Assuming they had no prior history, they would expect a minimum of probation, a fine and an absolute ban against owning or possessing any firearm for a period of 10 years.

Nobody remembers any more how we got to where we are but those of us who have studied the matter know that it happened gradually, over a long time and with a lot of good intentions. Just sayin'.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Last edited by Rocky7; 09-23-2013 at 08:01 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #128
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 17020 Times on 9842 Posts
Likes Given: 44257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
This is a video of an open carry protest I thought some might like to see. If it's been posted here previously, I guess I missed it:

Anywayyyy, while you all are tossing around whether any of this is a good thing or whether it is just too big a pain in the a$$ to tolerate, I'd like to say that I would give my left nut if this were possible here in Alberta. It isn't. All of those people would be arrested, charged and successfully prosecuted here in OZ. Assuming they had no prior history, they would expect a minimum of probation, a fine and an absolute ban against owning or possessing any firearm for a period of 10 years.

Nobody remembers any more how we got to where we are but those of us who have studied the matter know that it happened gradually, over a long time and with a lot of good intentions. Just sayin'.
i watched th entire video and was a little bit impressed by everyone on there. the sheriff's deputy was very friendly and professional. the protesters were very laid back and acting very much in a civil manner.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:36 AM   #129
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1044 Times on 673 Posts
Likes Given: 5366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post

Thanks for sharing that Rocky. That officer did it the right way, as did the OCers in the video. i e-mailed the link to a few of my LEO friends, so they can show it to some of the others in their offices.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Rocky7 Likes This