One cop's view of open carry
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > One cop's view of open carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 194 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default One cop's view of open carry

This is one of those links found totally by chance. This is from a site called Police One and the author is one of the firearms experts that write for the site. This is his take on meeting up with an open carrying citizen. He includes advice for those that open carry, too.

http://www.policeone.com/off-duty/articles/3502436-8-tips-on-contacts-with-open-carry-citizens/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 663 Times on 405 Posts
Likes Given: 3792

Great article....

One part I want to point out to, it's the advice he gives to the citizens that open carry - and something too many people (even on here) seem to have issues with.

Quote:
A side note to the citizen carrying openly: You should expect to be contacted by law enforcement. You should expect to be feared by some, and considered to be a person of interest to many. Understand that by wearing a weapon in the open, you raise the perceived threat level in the eyes of law enforcement and other citizens. Friendly behavior goes a long way. People key on behavior rather than the weapon. Most folks respond well to a smile, polite behavior or a warm hello rather than a cold stare. I recommend that approach. You will be surprised how many people respond in a positive manner when you do that. Actually, this holds true on both sides of an open carry discussion, contact, or encounter...

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 09-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #3

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Good articles.
helps explain both sides of the encounter to the other person

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 09-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 153 Posts

The older brother, who was a LEO at the time, two of his LEO buddies and I had been out blasting bunnies. We stayed out until dark, and didn't get back to town until about 2330, after the shift change at the local convenience store. We stop in for some junk food, and there is a guy behind the counter none of them has seen before with some crude tattoos, (this was the early seventies when people didn't get inked), and not wearing the uniform smock.

They all start peaking in the coolers and looking behind things, to be sure there isn't a dead clerk stashed somewhere. The guy gets progressively more nervous the longer they look around. One of the guys goes out and uses the pay phone to call for assistance. Two black and whites roll in and the guy behind the counter breaks out the door screaming, "Help", and dives behind one of the cars.

We had all been packing long barreled S&Ws for two days and forgot we had them strapped on. The presence of four guys that hadn't shaved or bathed in a few days, all wandering around the store "snooping", had scared the bejesus out of the poor guy.

So, I know first hand that guys with guns tend to scare the general populace.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 663 Times on 405 Posts
Likes Given: 3792

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs-n-fixture View Post
The older brother, who was a LEO at the time, two of his LEO buddies and I had been out blasting bunnies. We stayed out until dark, and didn't get back to town until about 2330, after the shift change at the local convenience store. We stop in for some junk food, and there is a guy behind the counter none of them has seen before with some crude tattoos, (this was the early seventies when people didn't get inked), and not wearing the uniform smock.

They all start peaking in the coolers and looking behind things, to be sure there isn't a dead clerk stashed somewhere. The guy gets progressively more nervous the longer they look around. One of the guys goes out and uses the pay phone to call for assistance. Two black and whites roll in and the guy behind the counter breaks out the door screaming, "Help", and dives behind one of the cars.

We had all been packing long barreled S&Ws for two days and forgot we had them strapped on. The presence of four guys that hadn't shaved or bathed in a few days, all wandering around the store "snooping", had scared the bejesus out of the poor guy.

Is it bad that I laughed at this?

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 09-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2003 Times on 1186 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Good read, thanks!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 09-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

pretty good article and it's always nice to know and see it from both sides.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Good article. Thanks for sharing.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609

Is it bad that I laughed at this?
We did after things calmed down.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #10

Liked 379 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs-n-fixture View Post

Having worked in a gas station, I would have tried talking to you all exactly ONE time. And your response, or lack of, would have dictated whether I call the police. I didn't mess around with that kind of stuff.

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man