Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   One cop's view of open carry (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/one-cops-view-open-carry-96735/)

JWagner 09-08-2013 05:13 PM

One cop's view of open carry

This is one of those links found totally by chance. This is from a site called Police One and the author is one of the firearms experts that write for the site. This is his take on meeting up with an open carrying citizen. He includes advice for those that open carry, too.

http://www.policeone.com/off-duty/articles/3502436-8-tips-on-contacts-with-open-carry-citizens/

Mason609 09-08-2013 05:34 PM

Great article....

One part I want to point out to, it's the advice he gives to the citizens that open carry - and something too many people (even on here) seem to have issues with.

Quote:

A side note to the citizen carrying openly: You should expect to be contacted by law enforcement. You should expect to be feared by some, and considered to be a person of interest to many. Understand that by wearing a weapon in the open, you raise the perceived threat level in the eyes of law enforcement and other citizens. Friendly behavior goes a long way. People key on behavior rather than the weapon. Most folks respond well to a smile, polite behavior or a warm hello rather than a cold stare. I recommend that approach. You will be surprised how many people respond in a positive manner when you do that. Actually, this holds true on both sides of an open carry discussion, contact, or encounter...

bluez 09-08-2013 05:59 PM

Good articles.
helps explain both sides of the encounter to the other person :)

jigs-n-fixture 09-08-2013 06:09 PM

The older brother, who was a LEO at the time, two of his LEO buddies and I had been out blasting bunnies. We stayed out until dark, and didn't get back to town until about 2330, after the shift change at the local convenience store. We stop in for some junk food, and there is a guy behind the counter none of them has seen before with some crude tattoos, (this was the early seventies when people didn't get inked), and not wearing the uniform smock.

They all start peaking in the coolers and looking behind things, to be sure there isn't a dead clerk stashed somewhere. The guy gets progressively more nervous the longer they look around. One of the guys goes out and uses the pay phone to call for assistance. Two black and whites roll in and the guy behind the counter breaks out the door screaming, "Help", and dives behind one of the cars.

We had all been packing long barreled S&Ws for two days and forgot we had them strapped on. The presence of four guys that hadn't shaved or bathed in a few days, all wandering around the store "snooping", had scared the bejesus out of the poor guy.

So, I know first hand that guys with guns tend to scare the general populace.

Mason609 09-08-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigs-n-fixture (Post 1363964)
The older brother, who was a LEO at the time, two of his LEO buddies and I had been out blasting bunnies. We stayed out until dark, and didn't get back to town until about 2330, after the shift change at the local convenience store. We stop in for some junk food, and there is a guy behind the counter none of them has seen before with some crude tattoos, (this was the early seventies when people didn't get inked), and not wearing the uniform smock.

They all start peaking in the coolers and looking behind things, to be sure there isn't a dead clerk stashed somewhere. The guy gets progressively more nervous the longer they look around. One of the guys goes out and uses the pay phone to call for assistance. Two black and whites roll in and the guy behind the counter breaks out the door screaming, "Help", and dives behind one of the cars.

We had all been packing long barreled S&Ws for two days and forgot we had them strapped on. The presence of four guys that hadn't shaved or bathed in a few days, all wandering around the store "snooping", had scared the bejesus out of the poor guy.

Is it bad that I laughed at this?

JimRau 09-08-2013 08:18 PM

Good read, thanks!:)

Axxe55 09-08-2013 08:45 PM

pretty good article and it's always nice to know and see it from both sides.

JW357 09-08-2013 09:22 PM

Good article. Thanks for sharing.

jigs-n-fixture 09-08-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mason609

Is it bad that I laughed at this?

We did after things calmed down.

TheSadPanda 09-08-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigs-n-fixture (Post 1363964)

Having worked in a gas station, I would have tried talking to you all exactly ONE time. And your response, or lack of, would have dictated whether I call the police. I didn't mess around with that kind of stuff.