One in the chamber question again Florida

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > One in the chamber question again Florida

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default One in the chamber question again Florida

I know you have answered this in this thread and I have checked before other places but on TV they are sure acting like it is illegal. I guess I should just ask a cop here but since I was here.
Cop shows on TV act like it's a crime when they find a person with a gun with one in the chamber. I was just watching an Airport TV show made in Miami and a man was stopped and his gun was checked. He said everything was fine but if had had a chambered round he would have gone to jail.
So are they just making it up or what?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-17-2013, 12:30 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Check your state laws but I'm pretty sure that if you can legally carry a firearm, you can (should) have a round chambered.
Never get your information from TV and especially don't get it from police.
Try to find the laws in your state and if you are really unsure, consult a lawyer.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Welcome to the forum!

My Florida Bar exam expired years ago.
But I did find the Florida Statutes on firearms:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0790/0790ContentsIndex.html&StatuteYear=2012&Title=%2D% 3E2012%2D%3EChapter%20790

And I don't recall seeing anything about one up the spout.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-17-2013, 12:31 AM   #4

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

No it is not illegal to carry a round chambered.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:47 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5654 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 374

in commiefornia it was illegal to have bullets in the gun period when oc. now its just illegal to be armed when your about to be raped or murdered...

anyway, getting legal advice from a tv show is an extremely bad idea only slightly worse than getting a legal opinion from a police officer. none of em are lawyers. contact your state attourney general's office for their opinion since they are the ones that will be prosecuting and actually deal in issues of statute law

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

TV, Big screen movies and our newstertainment networks are decidedly anti-gun. It SOUNDS more menacing to say "the gun had a fully loaded magazine and on in the chamber". In Texas there is no distinction between a loaded, unloaded, assembled, disassembled firearm. A gun is a gun, period.

If you see it on TV, it probably is made up (that goes for the evening news).

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #7

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

My buddy from Colorado used to tell me that a bullet in the chamber was premeditation and illegal,so he carried his beretta with an empty chamber.I always wanted to ask him if you have to carry a revolver with the next cylinder chamber lined up to land on empty,but I never did,he is a little bit of a know it all so I didn't even want to get him going with that question.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 02-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 769 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 225

A legal definition is not definitive. If the chamber is empty the firearm is logically not loaded. It can do no damage or protect you without another very time consuming operation. I know that all guns are to be considered loaded, that's a safety point and has just as bad an outcome when you need to shoot and get.....click! I consider my 1911 loaded only when cocked and locked.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 02-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8837 Times on 3825 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

You DID say "Airport TV", and mentioned "Checked". When traveling by air with a firearm, you need to check it- as in checked baggage, not carry on. You declare the firearm to the folks at the ticket counter, open the case, SHOW THEM IT IS NOT LOADED, fill out the form, and lock the case and give it to them.

It is against the law to SHIP a firearm that is loaded on an airplane. Could THIS be what you encountered?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #10

Ok, thanks. You know, I'm no quick draw and I don't practice pulling my gun all the time. I just want half a chance if I am ever in a bad situation. If it turns out to be a drawing contest, I'm outa luck.
And I'm not talking about Law and Order Tv. When you watch Cops Tv show, it's like "OH MY GOD, HE'S GOT ONE IN THE CHAMBER", like OK he's going to jail. And the show yesterday was a kind of Nat Geo special about MIami international airport and the guy was stopped on the entrance road to the airport for speeding. The cop seemed to say that if the gun had been chambered with a round and he had been pulled over on the airport property itself, that it would have been illegal. The gun was in his cars glove box and it didn't seem like the officer meant if he tried to take it through security.
It sounds like its not illegal, but police officers are so uncomfortable with people that carry, they are trying to make it seem like it is.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by smegma11; 02-18-2013 at 01:00 PM.