Once again this BS continues, show your support - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Once again this BS continues, show your support

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
knfxda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 692
Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddbrowns View Post
Exactly why I didn't state my belief one way or the other......but thanks for the input.....and honestly, I am sick of hearing how everyone is a victim of one thing or another. You (meaning whoever is claiming victim) made the choice for your actions, no one else did.....its the classic "its not my fault" syndrome.
Sorry cdd. I was too quick to multi-quote you and didn't fully take in your position. Sorry my reading comprehension sucks, when I don't actually take the time to read someone's enitre post.

Mea culpa!

.
__________________

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

knfxda is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 9,639
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Let me sort this out, since the forum seems to be approaching a tailspin.

If we're saying that the homosexual is a victim of genes, has no input into his behavior, and is at the whim of fate, he never had a choice or a chance, then what about the homophobe?

Put him in the victim seat for a minute.

He was 19 years old, and saw two guys kissing. He was instantly repulsed.

But he kept his feelings of disgust to himself. He didn't want to be different from all the people around him who seemed to approve of two guys kissing.

He stays in the homophobe closet for 20 years, hiding the fact that his genes told him that procreation of the species requires a woman. Won't work otherwise. Mother Nature herself is hounding him.

Bombarded daily about why he must be tolerant, he finally has enough, and opens his mouth. He's sick of being told he's intolerant, or a hater, or whatever.

He's out, and proud. But in today's society, he had a choice to NOT be homophobic. He made it harder on himself by choosing to be himself.

If it's not the homosexual's choice, maybe it isn't the homophobe's, either.

__________________
Benning Boy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Virginia Beach,VA
Posts: 1,078
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda

Sorry cdd. I was too quick to multi-quote you and didn't fully take in your position. Sorry my reading comprehension sucks, when I don't actually take the time to read someone's enitre post.

Mea culpa!

.
Sall gude.
__________________
cddbrowns is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Johnny357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 174
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
If gay is not a personal choice how come gays are still around as it is by definition not possible for gays to pass the "gay gene" to non-existant children.
By this argument there would be no impotent men in existence either. Or maybe impotence is a personal choice too?

I believe the genetics involved are far more complex than "gay" or "not-gay" and that things are more of a sliding scale. Hence the phenomenon of perfectly straight men choosing to be homosexuals while in prison.
__________________
Johnny357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Korey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Parkston,South Dakota
Posts: 81
Default

actually impotence is an emotional issue most of the time, so yes it is a subconscious choice to be impotent. I won't comment on the prison thing because it is already an argument for your point.

__________________
Korey is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Virginia Beach,VA
Posts: 1,078
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey
actually impotence is an emotional issue most of the time, so yes it is a subconscious choice to be impotent. I won't comment on the prison thing because it is already an argument for your point.
Not really. Just means men that are too "in the mood" are desperate and dangerous.

Sent from my HTC using FirearmsTalk
__________________
cddbrowns is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Korey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Parkston,South Dakota
Posts: 81
Default

Meaning it's their ''choice'' to do a homosexual act.
I won't state my opinion I'm just pointing out the discrepancies in the arguments

__________________
Korey is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheDaggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Solvang
Posts: 982
Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda View Post
All you guys that think that gay is a choice, go ahead and prove your point. "Choose" to be gay for the next year. Find a guy that you find attractive and have sex with him for the next year. Perform all acts of sodomy that you can think of. Not sure how promiscuous you are, so you might not limit yourself to one man. Have at it and then report back to us. (No details though.)

Gay as a choice means that all y'all can just choose to be gay. And under the right circumstances you'd be able to choose to be gay. Sounds like you're very afraid of what you are able to mentally conjure up.

Sorry, but in my world view you either are or you aren't, there's no choosing and no circumstances under which I could simply choose to be. I guess it's not the same for you? :P
At no time did I claim to believe that homosexuality was a choice. I don't. There is a whole hell of a lot more to human nature than genetics and choices. All I'm doing is pointing out the technical problems with a genetic-origin claim.
__________________

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

TheDaggle is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Virginia Beach,VA
Posts: 1,078
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle

At no time did I claim to believe that homosexuality was a choice. I don't. There is a whole hell of a lot more to human nature than genetics and choices. All I'm doing is pointing out the technical problems with a genetic-origin claim.
My favorite color is orange. Is that a genetic thing?

Sent from my HTC using FirearmsTalk
__________________
cddbrowns is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:12 AM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheDaggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Solvang
Posts: 982
Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddbrowns View Post
My favorite color is orange. Is that a genetic thing?

Sent from my HTC using FirearmsTalk
No it is probably not, nor is it a choice. Which is precisely what I'm saying. Much human nature and human behavior is neither genetic nor decided.
Your brain is constantly re-formatted by every thought you have. By reading this post, you're allowing my thoughts to reprogram your mind. Very little about the way your mind works is hardwired by genetics.
Neuroscience has recently revealed that most synapse functions (including 'conscious' decisions like movement) occur milliseconds BEFORE we are aware of them. The electrical impulses that are causing your fingers to type right now are actually firing before you chose what button to press. Would anyone argue that what you're typing is genetic? Of course not.
I don't 'believe' that homosexuality is genetic OR optional, I see serious flaws in both arguments and reserve judgment until I hear better evidence.
__________________

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

TheDaggle is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Protesters in US Show of Support for Egyptian Protests dunerunner Politics, Religion and Controversy 2 01-30-2011 12:59 PM
Bow quest continues NGIB Other Weapons 16 07-29-2010 04:30 AM
Arizona Immigration Decision--Please Show Your Support For This Law russ Legal and Activism 45 05-18-2010 05:10 AM
Show us how much ( or little ) you support our president David26 The Club House 5 12-21-2009 04:05 AM
Troops Show OVERWHELMING Support user4 Politics, Religion and Controversy 8 10-23-2008 11:53 AM



Newest Threads