Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Once again this BS continues, show your support

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 04:36 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 9,639
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Sad. This guy seemed to be doing well in the handgun section.

Now we know he reads "The Gawker".

Sad.

__________________

Last edited by Benning Boy; 07-14-2011 at 04:54 AM.
Benning Boy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:49 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
buckhuntr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sapulpa,Oklahoma
Posts: 1,945
Liked 680 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 1668

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
If gay is not a personal choice how come gays are still around as it is by definition not possible for gays to pass the "gay gene" to non-existant children.
IF gayness is the result of a gene, then it is most likely a recessive gene, and someone can carry one copy of the gene, and not express the 'disease' (for sake of argument - he or she is not 'gay'), but that person (assume male) can make whoopie with another person (female) who also carries a copy of that recessive gene, and have a litter of offspring with each other.
Those young'uns can have the genes in varying combinations: recessive + dominant equals carrier (like the parents, has the gene but does not manifest the 'gayness', and can pass the gene on to the next generation); dominant + dominant = no 'disease' and cannot pass the bad gene on; or recessive + recessive = (probably, if you believe the nature trumps nurture argument) gayness (and no offspring to pass it on to, for obvious reasons, except that - hmm, some gays actually marry the opposite gender and have kids before coming out of the closet, so to speak, thus passing the gene on (I've met a few like that)).

Genetics 101 in college. High School, as well, for those who weren't too busy with hormones to actually stay awake in class and study.
__________________
buckhuntr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:17 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Alaska
Posts: 2,323
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

What is the Gawker?

__________________
freefall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:17 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheDaggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Solvang
Posts: 982
Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr View Post
IF gayness is the result of a gene, then it is most likely a recessive gene, and someone can carry one copy of the gene, and not express the 'disease' (for sake of argument - he or she is not 'gay'), but that person (assume male) can make whoopie with another person (female) who also carries a copy of that recessive gene, and have a litter of offspring with each other.
Those young'uns can have the genes in varying combinations: recessive + dominant equals carrier (like the parents, has the gene but does not manifest the 'gayness', and can pass the gene on to the next generation); dominant + dominant = no 'disease' and cannot pass the bad gene on; or recessive + recessive = (probably, if you believe the nature trumps nurture argument) gayness (and no offspring to pass it on to, for obvious reasons, except that - hmm, some gays actually marry the opposite gender and have kids before coming out of the closet, so to speak, thus passing the gene on (I've met a few like that)).

Genetics 101 in college. High School, as well, for those who weren't too busy with hormones to actually stay awake in class and study.
Though I generally agree with you, I have to play devil's advocate here.
Even if a gay gene were recessive, it would still be subject to the laws of selective pressure and there is no benefit from it. There is strong selective pressure AGAINST it. There is a very good reason that you don't see many reproductively harmful genetic conditions that surface before puberty, especially one that widespread (10% of the population by some estimates). While it may not preclude reproduction, it does drastically reduce the average number of viable offspring, and that is precisely the type of gene that natural selection weeds out in a hurry.
__________________

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

TheDaggle is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:18 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dunerunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florence, Oregon
Posts: 8,481
Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
What is the Gawker?
From Wiki, Gawker Media - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Gawker Media is an American online media company and blog network, founded and owned by Nick Denton based in New York City. It is considered to be one of the most visible and successful blog-oriented media companies. As of March 2010, it is the parent company for 11 different weblogs: Gawker.com, Fleshbot, Deadspin, Lifehacker, Gizmodo, io9, Kotaku, Jalopnik, Jezebel, Gawker.tv, and Cityfile. All Gawker articles are licensed on a Creative Commons attribution-NonCommercial license."

Their moto, "Today's gossip is tomorrow's news".
__________________

People get the government they deserve.

dunerunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #16
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 16,948
Liked 5129 Times on 2671 Posts
Likes Given: 311

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
From Wiki, Gawker Media - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Gawker Media is an American online media company and blog network, founded and owned by Nick Dentonn based in New York City. It is considered to be one of the most visible and successful blog-oriented media companies. As of March 2010, it is the parent company for 11 different weblogs: Gawker.com, Fleshbot, Deadspin, Lifehacker, Gizmodo, io9, Kotaku, Jalopnik, Jezebel, Gawker.tv, and Cityfile. All Gawker articles are licensed on a Creative Commons attribution-NonCommercial license."

Their moto, "Today's gossip is tomorrow's news".
I always wondered where cnn msnbc and abc got their news feeds from. Thanks
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ploofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,205
Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
are still around as it is by definition not possible for gays to pass the "gay gene" to non-existant children.
Being gay obviously isn't a choice. Why would anybody choose a lifestyle that would cause so many problems for them? And I never had to choose to be straight. I've always been straight. If being gay were a choice, then they would be naturally straight, too, and would be willingly going against one of the strongest forces in their bodies.
__________________

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Ploofy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Virginia Beach,VA
Posts: 1,078
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
Being gay obviously isn't a choice. Why would anybody choose a lifestyle that would cause so many problems for them? And I never had to choose to be straight. I've always been straight. If being gay were a choice, then they would be naturally straight, too, and would be willingly going against one of the strongest forces in their bodies.
That is actually assuming a lot. What if they like the lifestyle? What if they like certain aspects of the gay life? What if they have personality traits that they are not liked by the opposite sex? I am not saying one way or another, not putting myself up for targeting from either side of the fence here, but there are a ton of factors that people tend to overlook here....
__________________
cddbrowns is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
knfxda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 692
Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
Though I generally agree with you, I have to play devil's advocate here.
Even if a gay gene were recessive, it would still be subject to the laws of selective pressure and there is no benefit from it. There is strong selective pressure AGAINST it. There is a very good reason that you don't see many reproductively harmful genetic conditions that surface before puberty, especially one that widespread (10% of the population by some estimates). While it may not preclude reproduction, it does drastically reduce the average number of viable offspring, and that is precisely the type of gene that natural selection weeds out in a hurry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cddbrowns View Post
That is actually assuming a lot. What if they like the lifestyle? What if they like certain aspects of the gay life? What if they have personality traits that they are not liked by the opposite sex? I am not saying one way or another, not putting myself up for targeting from either side of the fence here, but there are a ton of factors that people tend to overlook here....
All you guys that think that gay is a choice, go ahead and prove your point. "Choose" to be gay for the next year. Find a guy that you find attractive and have sex with him for the next year. Perform all acts of sodomy that you can think of. Not sure how promiscuous you are, so you might not limit yourself to one man. Have at it and then report back to us. (No details though.)

Gay as a choice means that all y'all can just choose to be gay. And under the right circumstances you'd be able to choose to be gay. Sounds like you're very afraid of what you are able to mentally conjure up.

Sorry, but in my world view you either are or you aren't, there's no choosing and no circumstances under which I could simply choose to be. I guess it's not the same for you? :P
__________________

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

knfxda is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Virginia Beach,VA
Posts: 1,078
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda

All you guys that think that gay is a choice, go ahead and prove your point. "Choose" to be gay for the next year. Find a guy that you find attractive and have sex with him for the next year. Perform all acts of sodomy that you can think of. Not sure how promiscuous you are, so you might not limit yourself to one man. Have at it and then report back to us. (No details though.)

Gay as a choice means that all y'all can just choose to be gay. And under the right circumstances you'd be able to choose to be gay. Sounds like you're very afraid of what you are able to mentally conjure up.

Sorry, but in my world view you either are or you aren't, there's no choosing and no circumstances under which I could simply choose to be. I guess it's not the same for you? :P
Exactly why I didn't state my belief one way or the other......but thanks for the input.....and honestly, I am sick of hearing how everyone is a victim of one thing or another. You (meaning whoever is claiming victim) made the choice for your actions, no one else did.....its the classic "its not my fault" syndrome.
__________________
cddbrowns is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Protesters in US Show of Support for Egyptian Protests dunerunner Politics, Religion and Controversy 2 01-30-2011 11:59 AM
Bow quest continues NGIB Other Weapons 16 07-29-2010 03:30 AM
Arizona Immigration Decision--Please Show Your Support For This Law russ Legal and Activism 45 05-18-2010 04:10 AM
Show us how much ( or little ) you support our president David26 The Club House 5 12-21-2009 03:05 AM
Troops Show OVERWHELMING Support user4 Politics, Religion and Controversy 8 10-23-2008 10:53 AM