Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Old mag Calif. legal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Old mag Calif. legal?

I was cleaning out my attic and I found a box of misc gun parts, grips, scope rings and so forth. The surprise was a 25 rd banana magazine for a Ruger 10/22 I thought I had lost in the 1980s. I've had my 10/22 since 1972 and the mag was a gift from before I met my wife so it's pre 1981. It must have got tossed in the box during one of many moves over the years. I 've heard it's legal for me to possess AND use as a grandfathered item. It's clear plastic and over thirty years old. I'm not ever sure it's safe to use anymore, the attic gets pretty hot in summer. Is it Cal legal? Is it safe? I'll break it up if not both.

I hit it...didn't I?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #2

Liked 61 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon
I was cleaning out my attic and I found a box of misc gun parts, grips, scope rings and so forth. The surprise was a 25 rd banana magazine for a Ruger 10/22 I thought I had lost in the 1980s. I've had my 10/22 since 1972 and the mag was a gift from before I met my wife so it's pre 1981. It must have got tossed in the box during one of many moves over the years. I 've heard it's legal for me to possess AND use as a grandfathered item. It's clear plastic and over thirty years old. I'm not ever sure it's safe to use anymore, the attic gets pretty hot in summer. Is it Cal legal? Is it safe? I'll break it up if not both.
You better stay on the safe side. Drive it to la and turn it in. Joke, sorry.

My guess is if spring is still good, plastic not damaged or exposed to petroleum, it is fine. Don't know what the worst thing that could happen would be other than it fails to feed, or simply breaks.

I'd prob try it.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #3

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

It's totally legal and you can get "repair kits" online to fix it if it doesn't work.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

The magazine is only legal if used in a pre-ban gun according to ma law. I have seen people hit with mag charges due to rebuilds. Be very sure you are legal before you use it, especially right now.

I don't need No stinking signature.