Old Dominion students want concealed carry on campus - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Old Dominion students want concealed carry on campus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Student=Victim

All across the country, the BGs are realizing that an excellent location to find unarmed, and therefore safe-to-rob, victims (most of whom carry laptops, fancy cellphones, etc.) is in and around college campuses.

In Atlanta, the students at Georgia Tech were robbed at least weekly until the politicians pressured the police to put whatever resources it took to stop it. Now they are picking on the students at Georgia State, just a few miles away. Once the police/politicians think it's clear to move on the something else, the thugs will be back.

If you have someone you care about in college or will be going to college sooner or later, let your politicians know that you want to allow these people to defend themselves-allow the ones otherwise legally entitled to carry a weapon to do so on and off campus.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

Old 10-12-2010, 02:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid20 View Post
well, colleges are run by liberals, ODU included, I go to VCU in Richmond and am from the norfolk area so this issue is really close to home for me. In richmond college students are a really big target because they are generally out late, like me I take night classes and walk home, and are unarmed. While it's against school policy to carry a gun I am never found without a pocket knife.
I go to VCU aswell. It is against school policy to carry ANY weapon, including, firearms, knives, pepper spray, tazers, stun guns or anything that could be used for self defense. However VCU is very liberal. I have my CCW permit but cannot carry to class for obvious reasons. Would you be interested in starting something like this for VCU? I think it would be a great Idea for permit holders to be allowed to conceal carry on campus and to class. However I think open carry would be a bad idea, stricktly concealed carry.

Nut up or Shut up!

Old 10-13-2010, 02:28 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs887 View Post
So as a visiter (if I were to live in Virginia) to the campus I could legally carry, but as a student you can't? On what planet does that make sense?

From OP NO. 05-078 (2006)
http://www.oag.state.va.us/OPINIONS/2006opns/05-078.pdf

"Accordingly, it is my opinion that the governing boards of Virginia’s public colleges and universities may not impose a general prohibition on the carrying of concealed weapons by permitted individuals. Pursuant to specific grants of statutory authority, however, it is my opinion that colleges and universities may regulate the conduct of students and employees to prohibit them from carrying concealed weapons on campus."

I cannot remember off hand how Virginia law applies to anybody choosing to open carry on the grounds of state colleges and universities, but concealed carry is clearly okay.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I thought I would bump this because the College Republicans at ODU have started a pettition to allow lawful carry of firearms by students, faculty, and staff on ODU grounds:

News report:
ODU students petition to carry weapons | WAVY.com | Virginia

the petition:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/Old-Dominion-Concealed-Carry-Safe/

To be honest I'm not a big fan of online petitions, but for a few seconds of our time it certainly can't hurt

Old 11-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Default Old Dominion students want concealed carry on campus

Does it do any good to sign the petition if not a student there or a Virginia resident? I'd sign it but I live in S. Carolina

Old 11-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There are plenty of out of state signatures on it. Don't forget these big universities attract folks from all over the country and even international students.