Old Dominion students want concealed carry on campus
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Old Dominion students want concealed carry on campus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Default Old Dominion students want concealed carry on campus

ODU student facebook group fights for guns on campus | 13NEWS / WVEC.com | WVEC.com Home Page | Hampton Roads Local News | Hampton Roads Weather

Quote:
NORFOLK -- Students are asking to bring guns on campus, after a wave of crime near Old Dominion University.
Labor Day weekend, two people were robbed on or near the campus.
Some ODU students started a Facebook page, demanding the right to carry concealed handguns on school property.
One post reads, "We have the right to protect ourselves, especially in the high crime areas near ODU."
ODU, like all Virginia and North Carolina colleges, bans or restricts weapons on campus.
Freshman Meghan Nagle says firearms at school could distract students from learning.
"I'm always going to be wondering, who has a gun? I don't know if they're going to freak out and kill me."
But even crowded bars allow people to come in with hidden guns. Sophomore Nick Foxx believes that right should extend to college campuses.
"People who obey the law and go through the permit system should be able to carry their guns anywhere."
Most students are too young to carry. In Virginia, you have to be 21 years old to get a concealed handgun permit.
Virginia Tech still prohibits handguns at school, even after the massacre that killed 32 people.
Universities in Utah and Colorado that allow guns on campus have not reported acts of violence.
I really do not understand why this is an issue. If someone has passed a background check and all the other hoops you have to jump through it's a pretty safe bet that they are not going to snap one day and shoot up the school.

In other news, freshman Meghan Nagle is a moron

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

well, colleges are run by liberals, ODU included, I go to VCU in Richmond and am from the norfolk area so this issue is really close to home for me. In richmond college students are a really big target because they are generally out late, like me I take night classes and walk home, and are unarmed. While it's against school policy to carry a gun I am never found without a pocket knife.

we're Americans and we pray for peace, and if we can't have peace we find and destroy the people who screwed up the damn peace. So we can have some peace. - Christopher Titus

Old 09-17-2010, 12:17 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The area around ODU is a high-crime zone. I knew that 30 years ago when I was bumbling through the bars down there, and I see it weekly now while working in the area. I can only say that if another major college in VA had permitted the rights guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States of America, there would be a lot more Virginia Tech alumni than there are today.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 10-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Default College safety for students

I just read a bulletin from another college (in S.C.), about suspiscious men lurking around women's housing, following women, etc. They advise these students to: "If you are confronted by an attacker, scream loudly and try to run to a safe area." How's that for no help at all? This same school has people arrested if they are found to be in possession of a firearm, even if it is just in their car while they drive down a U.S. highway that runs thru the campus. So, the best anyone can hope for is that the cops will show up and fill out a report after the assault is over.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #5

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Oh, I thought you were talking about the trucking company.

Most every driver I know has a boot gun.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-06-2010, 01:45 AM   #6

Default On campus carry

Check out Students for Concealed Carry on Campus Students for Concealed Carry on Campus - ConcealedCampus.com

There are people working on this concept. This is, of course, an up-hill battle when even otherwise conservative politicians pale at the thought of guns, even legal ones, on campus.

My son was part of the student government at a smaller state university when the subject came up, a resolution on campus carry. He and a goodly number of the students favored on subject, but the rest of the students and the faculty advisor got all liberal/emotional about the issue--unfortunately the sheeple won out.

It is going to be a long, hard fight, but well worth it. Students deserve the right to defend themselves.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

Old 10-06-2010, 03:02 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

less than two months ago two of my close friends were robbed at gunpoint just off of William and Mary's campus. A couple years ago a guy I went to high school with was shot in the neck during a mugging. Last Friday a female student was the victim of a Robbery at the University of Virginia.

I constantly receive messages warning about suspicious persons around campus and Williamsburg has hardly any crime compared to Richmond and Norfolk.

Under current Virginia law the Boards of Visitors at state colleges and universities have the power to prohibit faculty, staff, and students from carrying on campus. However any law abiding citizen can carry on any state university lawfully (VCU is the one exception), but as a student I could get kicked out of school.

Virginia currently preempts localities from enacting any firearms laws and many suggest that the preemption statute could simply be expanded to include all state agencies, which would invalidate many anti-gun policies at public universities and state parks among other agencies.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:15 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9362 Times on 4037 Posts
Likes Given: 1472

The faculty would do well to read some of James Thurber's "Fables for Our Times". Recall his story of the newly hatched butterfly, who was convinced she was an angel, and this was heaven. The baby birds agreed it WAS heaven as they ate the butterfly.

All fables have a moral. This one was "She who would go unarmed in heaven, had best be sure that's where she is."

The profs are convinced that the ivy covered halls of learning are heaven.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

I think the approach taken by some politicians and administrators is part of their ongoing quest to prove that "you don't have to be smart to be in charge".

Old 10-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #10

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd8488 View Post
less than two months ago two of my close friends were robbed at gunpoint just off of William and Mary's campus. A couple years ago a guy I went to high school with was shot in the neck during a mugging. Last Friday a female student was the victim of a Robbery at the University of Virginia.

I constantly receive messages warning about suspicious persons around campus and Williamsburg has hardly any crime compared to Richmond and Norfolk.

Under current Virginia law the Boards of Visitors at state colleges and universities have the power to prohibit faculty, staff, and students from carrying on campus. However any law abiding citizen can carry on any state university lawfully (VCU is the one exception), but as a student I could get kicked out of school.

Virginia currently preempts localities from enacting any firearms laws and many suggest that the preemption statute could simply be expanded to include all state agencies, which would invalidate many anti-gun policies at public universities and state parks among other agencies.
So as a visiter (if I were to live in Virginia) to the campus I could legally carry, but as a student you can't? On what planet does that make sense?

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"