Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Oklahoma Private Land Discharge of Firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
That didn't last long... Flyers during Shero's era!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1444 Times on 879 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Default Oklahoma Private Land Discharge of Firearms

I live in Oklahoma. My residence is currently in Glenpool. I realize that there are restrictions on the discharge of my firearms within city limits. I am also aware that landowners outside city limits (outside incorporated areas?) are sometimes allowed to shoot on their private property.

What requirements must be met to allow non-self-defense discharge of firearms (practice shooting) on private property? Is the restriction simply owning enough land (i.e. 10-15 acres)? Is there any regulation defining private shooting range requirements (size of backstop, access limitation, etc.)?

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 3rd FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/3rd-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-12-13-2014-a-98426

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Rules vary by state and locale. You need to check with local authorities to be sure what's legal and what isn't.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1673 Times on 920 Posts
Likes Given: 2454

Quote:
What requirements must be met to allow non-self-defense discharge of firearms (practice shooting) on private property? Is the restriction simply owning enough land (i.e. 10-15 acres)?
Unless someone complains there should be no problem shooting on 10-15 acres. A good backstop is a must.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #4

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota
I live in Oklahoma. My residence is currently in Glenpool. I realize that there are restrictions on the discharge of my firearms within city limits. I am also aware that landowners outside city limits (outside incorporated areas?) are sometimes allowed to shoot on their private property.

What requirements must be met to allow non-self-defense discharge of firearms (practice shooting) on private property? Is the restriction simply owning enough land (i.e. 10-15 acres)? Is there any regulation defining private shooting range requirements (size of backstop, access limitation, etc.)?
I think if you are outside the city limits, you're good. I've encountered county LEO while shooting on private property, they had no problems with it.

I would check with the sheriff first, just to be sure.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #5

Liked 405 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota

Just west of Norman, you can shoot since its "agricultural land" because I'm out there all the time shooting skeet. Some of the neighbors don't like it and we've had the cops called but it's completely legal and they actually joined us once for a few rounds.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1673 Times on 920 Posts
Likes Given: 2454

This is one of my two ranges; its on 80 acres of rough property. It has been cleaned up since the photo was taken. We have target butts to 250 yards but usually limit ourselves to 150 yards. The backstop at 250 yards is inadequate for large caliber rifles.

The closest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away. i usually shoot on Sunday mornings when they are away at church. They never complain about the noise.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7363 Times on 4266 Posts
Likes Given: 9480

Here in CA it is legal to shoot in most unincorporated areas, the exceptions are where there are county ordinances prohibiting it. Your local Sheriff's office would be able to tell you if such prohibitions exist (and they may not in OK).

As stated earlier, when shooting you absolutely MUST have a suitable earth backstop, just some railroad ties or logs will not do. I have several railroad ties in in front of an earth berm and the high powered rifle rounds will easily penetrate fully through the railroad ties and still have enough energy to be lethal.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 713 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

I live in Illinois and in the country. The rule here is the bullets must not leave
your property, can't imagine it to be any different in OK, call your Sheriff,
they will know. So as stated a good backstop is needed.

I know of 6 private ranges within a mile of my house. In the last 4 years alot
of new ones have been built in the county were I live.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 04-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #9

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Does that mean u can shoot in Ur backyard in residential areas as long as the round stays in Ur backyard?

Old 04-19-2012, 04:50 AM   #10

Liked 405 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 20

If you're in city limits, you must be in agricultural land to discharge a firearm on your property. I'm here in Norman and go shoot skeet at a friends house who lives in agricultural land. We've had LEOs come out due to people up the road but they've confirmed that we can shoot