Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > OK City Pharmacist Found Guilty of Murder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1992 Times on 1070 Posts
Likes Given: 2965

Default OK City Pharmacist Found Guilty of Murder

Oklahoma City pharmacist Jerome Ersland has been found guilty of first degree murder for the shooting of a teen age perp who tried to rob his pharmacy. Ersland shot the perp and then chased another perp from the store while shooting at him. Ersland then came back to the store, got another gun and shot the wounded perp five more times, killing him.

Ersland is a case study how to get charged after a fatal shooting. Ersland lied to the cops and gave TV interviews.

Druggist in OKC is convicted of murder | Tulsa World

Links about the case:

Judge Elliott To Remain; Trial Date Set For Ersland - Oklahoma City News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City

The video:

VIDEO: Oklahoma City Pharmacist Shooting Armed Robber #1*|*The Cardinal

Last edited by alsaqr; 05-27-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #2

He missed and hit the possibly unarmed kid (did not see arms and it looked like he was hiding behind the other kid) - then proceeded to shoot that kid 5 more times - wow. It seems like the situation was over at that point...?

Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #3

Liked 2229 Times on 1004 Posts
Likes Given: 2167

Should have pinned a medal on him instead. I have no sympathy for these little *******s. You want to point guns and rob people be prepared to pay the price.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:31 AM   #4

Liked 373 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 1027

the threat is over when the bad guy is dead...DEAD. not wounded.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #5

Please note that I would have cut this pharmacist a little more slack had these perpetrators been adults.

I still think coming back in wandering around for a bit then shooting the guy five more times, then calling the police is kind of suspect. It looks more like anger (to me) at that point rather than SD. It must have to the jury also as he got convicted.

We have castle laws in Ohio and I think I would have been in some hot water for that one.

I also hope I would have remained more calm or at least something other than angry and not done that.

Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Please note that I would have cut this pharmacist a little more slack had these perpetrators been adults.

Adult = anyone wielding a gun in a threatening manner toward me.

The initial contact shooting would have been fine. The rest well.....he's gonna pay for that.

Josh-US Army EOD (Bomb Squad)
Plenty of firearms and ammo.
A couple diesels sitting around.
Lots of learning to be done!!

Lifetime NRA Member

Old 05-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #7

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

We have too much tolerance for thieves in todays society

I can have some empathy with a man trying to provide for his family, but nowadays more often than not it's just some lowlife fucking scumbag who is too lazy or stupid to work.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 05-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Beyond the video, the pharmacist went on the news telling stories that were not even close to the story told by the physical evidence. His story was so grandiose and changed so many times that I started to wonder if he was a mental patient. He even inflicted some wounds on himself about a week after the incident and went to his doctor claiming he had been shot. Weird deal, and in my opinion he contributed to his own conviction even more than the evidence did.

I've also heard rumors that the defense didn't do a very good job. He hired one of the local "on the TV" lawyers to represent him. The media here reported disagreements between two medical examiners about whether the robber was even alive for the followup shots that earned him the murder conviction, but apparently the defense team didn't pursue that track to reasonable doubt.

Trust me, our DA is not hot for self-defense prosecutions, and from what I remember of the news coverage at the time he seemed fairly reluctant. The pharmacist continued to get on the news with his contradictory stories, the police interviews apparently showed dramatic inconsistencies, and the video was compelling enough to leave the DA no where to hide.

Remember:

1. Call 911.
2. Identify yourself as the victim, and point out the assailant.
3. Point out evidence.
4. Point out witnesses.
5. Tell the police you will cooperate fully, after 24 hours and an opportunity to speak with you attorney.

The 6th point should be "Don't do news interviews, and don't lie."

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 05-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
Civil Disobedience-wherever there is authority, there is a natural inclination to disobedience. Oppression breeds Rebellion
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3036 Times on 1693 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post

Remember:

1. Call 911.
2. Identify yourself as the victim, and point out the assailant.
3. Point out evidence.
4. Point out witnesses.
5. Tell the police you will cooperate fully, after 24 hours and an opportunity to speak with you attorney.

The 6th point should be "Don't do news interviews, and don't lie."
If you aren't talking to the cops then you better not be talking to anyone else. and as Mark Twain said "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2234 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1146

I agree! Sounds like there is more to the story than what I am reading. Including maybe the Pharmacist went way beyond normal reaction.
The jury will no doubt decide.

But I do have one opinion. A person committing a crime, regardless of age who has the conscious to point a gun at an individual to possible injury or take a life is subject what ever comes! I do not buy that poor juvenile BS. They know right from wrong. In the world we live in it is my opinion that the young person would have to be below the age of 6 to not know right from wrong. Unless they had prior medically recorded mental conditions.